Do Olympic Athletes get paid?

Discuss Do Olympic Athletes get paid? at the General Discussion; How could these guys and gals train everyday and eat/sleep right with a job? Just curious how do they make ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Discussion > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Do Olympic Athletes get paid?

How could these guys and gals train everyday and eat/sleep right with a job?

Just curious how do they make money or how much money do they make doing this.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:25 PM

My ex girlfriends brother ran the Mens 5000 in sydney. He is a teacher part time, and ran at local marathons for money when he could. He was sponsored by reebok, so they paid him a yearly amount. It was definatley nothing to retire on. Im pretty sure the big names with commercial endorsement rake in the royalties.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman
How could these guys and gals train everyday and eat/sleep right with a job?

Just curious how do they make money or how much money do they make doing this.

Yeh they get paid by sponsors, they just dont win prize money in there events. How do you think Marion Jones could pay for all that THG ?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:40 PM

They Dont Get Paid To Compete But They Have A Choice Of Remaining Amateures Or Being Pro. If They Stay Amateur They Cant Have Sponsors But For The Ones That Are Young And Plan On College They Can Still Compete When They Go To School If They Go Pro They Cant Compete In College. Saw This On E! The Other Day By The Way They Had Something On About Gymnasts
Old 08-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Dont NBA players get paid ? explain that with your premise ?
Old 08-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

i think he means if u accept sponsorship than u forfeit your amatuer status and therefore cannot continue participating in collegiate sports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto
Dont NBA players get paid ? explain that with your premise ?
Old 08-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thick
i think he means if u accept sponsorship than u forfeit your amatuer status and therefore cannot continue participating in collegiate sports.

I guess i can see a diffence between sponsorship money and endorsements. This guy phelps, if starts winning again is gonna be jacked...Anyone remember americas sweetheart Mary Lou-Retton ? She was all over the TV after the 84 Olympics hawking everyones products.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

yeah olympic success can get some sweet paydays with endorsements. The rules kinda suck. There was a Colorado( not positive on school or sport) football player that had to choose b/n college football and professional skiing or some shit. I dont see the problem with him making money at keeping his amateur status for football. I believe it made him choose b/n the olympics and college football. Someone please straighten out the iffy parts. It was awhile ago when i read this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimoto
I guess i can see a diffence between sponsorship money and endorsements. This guy phelps, if starts winning again is gonna be jacked...Anyone remember americas sweetheart Mary Lou-Retton ? She was all over the TV after the 84 Olympics hawking everyones products.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thick
yeah olympic success can get some sweet paydays with endorsements. The rules kinda suck. There was a Colorado( not positive on school or sport) football player that had to choose b/n college football and professional skiing or some shit. I dont see the problem with him making money at keeping his amateur status for football. I believe it made him choose b/n the olympics and college football. Someone please straighten out the iffy parts. It was awhile ago when i read this

You are talking about Jeremy Bloom. hes not a pro skier, just world class and wants to be in the Olympics, but he is endorsed by a bunch of ski equipment manufactures. He just left the team again, and went to Chile for a ski camp and wil miss the first bunch of practices with his team..but it isnt gonna matter CU is going to get beat by everyone. I get the drift of the argument though.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

I'm friends of the family of "kaitlin" who has so far, won a silver and bronze in swimming. If the athlete is really good, like Kaitlin, they have a full scholarship during college. After that, it can be tough.

However, several months ago, she landed a contract with Nike. Nike now pays 100% of her living expenses and acts as her manager so she doesn't have to think about anything but training. A Nike employee has been assigned to her as her personal assistant. This person contacts her every single day to take care of anything she needs. All shopping and personal expenses and all travel arrangements/expenses, everything, are coordinated and taken care of every day. They recently sent her and her family on a $10,000 shopping spree to a local mall. They also do things like send box after box of Nike shoes & clothes in sizes for her and her family. They also paid for and arranged all travel for her parents to go to Athens.

The bottom line is, if you're among the world's elite, you'll be taken care of by one or more companies and finances won't be a concern. Depending on how an athlete performs at the Olympics, future endorsements can range from minor to setting a person up for life. And also, the speaking fees for a medal winner, especially a gold medal winner can be substantial for several years.

MaxRep
Yes, the photo next to my name is a picture of me. Everything I write is fiction for entertainment purposes. Nothing I write should be construed to be medical advice or anything other than fantasy role playing. Nothing I write should be acted upon. I do not encourage or condone the exchange, purchase or administration of any illegal substance. Anything I write which may appear to contradict this is understood to be written as fiction for entertainment purposes only.