Androgel now available as a generic

Discuss Androgel now available as a generic at the Men's Health Forum; Watson Pharmaceuticals Receives FDA Approval for Testosterone Gel Product Testosterone gel 1% CIII is the generic equivalent to Solvay Pharmaceutical's ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 08:40 PM

Default Androgel now available as a generic

Watson Pharmaceuticals Receives FDA Approval for Testosterone Gel Product

Testosterone gel 1% CIII is the generic equivalent to Solvay Pharmaceutical's AndroGel(R), which is indicated for replacement therapy in males for conditions associated with a deficiency or absence of endogenous testosterone.

Assuming that this product really is equivalent to Androgel, this seems like good news to me. When Solvay purchased the rights for Androgel from Unimed Pharmaceuticals Inc, they increased the cost by 400%.

That potentially bad part to this is that it reduces the incentive for Solvay to fund new clinical studies for Androgel. However, I am well aware that Solvay is currently funding a clinical trial of Androgel for hypogonadal men with diabetes, so perhaps we are okay on that front.

I look at testosterone cypionate, for which the package insert still says q2w-q4w, and I realize that the drug companies aren't actively promoting a drug that is available as a generic.

One thing I wonder about is: what would the generic for Testim be called? The website for Testim also refers to Testim as Testosterone gel 1% CIII, but it obviously different since it received its own patent. It think that SWALE said that Testim has something else added to it, although I can't remember the word he used to describe what was added.

It'll be interesting to see if pharmacies start filling prescriptions for 'Testim' with this new generic product. Technically, I believe that they shouldn't. But hey, pharmacies have filled prescriptions from Androgel with Testim, much to the dismay of Solvay which I assumed worked to stop that practice.

Last edited by mranak; 02-12-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine

Nice find, mranak.

Testim has an emollient added to it. Other than that, it is the same as Androgel. Same dosing, same bioavailability.

The emmollient smells good to some, like skunk cabbage to others.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2006, 09:37 PM

I just remembered the word 'emollient' when looking at the generic approvals list for last year (Tretinoin Cream Emollient: Renova) and I came here to update my post. But you beat me, so you get the points.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:52 PM

General musing:

It totally amazes me how one can refer to a generic of something where the active indredient is a natural substance found in the body. The only thing that is innate to Androgel is I assume the vehicle and packaging. I used one package several years ago right after diagnosis. My compounded 10% creme is many times the product in all constructs that are applicable to the process. The only difference is it is far less expensive.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
My compounded 10% creme is many times the product in all constructs that are applicable to the process.
Can you clarify that statement?

Anyway, while I agree that Androgel is overpriced, I am thankful it come onto the market for a variety of reasons:

- The approval of the product meant that clinical studies were done.

- FDA approval means that the FDA endorsed transdermal testosterone therapy. And that means that more physicians endorse it. This is very significant.

- It gave us a consistent product that is available in any standard pharmacy.

- More physicians became aware of TRT because of Androgel

- The package insert for Androgel is actually correct, whereas the package insert for testosterone cypionate (dosing q 2-4w) is inappropraite. Thus, perhaps physicians that aren't good with TRT tend to do a better job with Androgel

- More men receive the TRT they need because of Androgel

- Androgel is a good product. It isn't for me, but I'm happy that it is available to the men that want it ... provided they never take away my testosterone cypionate!

- Right now, Solvay is funding a clinical trial of TRT for diabetic men. This will hopefully bring more attention to the fact that many diabetic men can be helped with TRT.

The existing compounded testosterone transdermals are still available to those that want them, so no problem there.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Doctor of Medicine

Default Re: Androgel now available as a generic

Old 04-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Doctor of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgamer18
Every thing I was told before going from Androgel to Testim was the Testim's absorption was better then Androgel. So when my Dr. put me on Testim he cut the dose back to 5 grams from 10. In two weeks I was crashing levels dropping big time. So my Dr. upped it back to 10 grams. Now on Androgel my levels were around 550 for Total T and on Testim I stayed at 650 so for me it has a higher absorption then Androgel. Then later I came across a study saying this. But I will be dammed I can't find the study.
It thus looks like "Your mileage may vary".
Old 04-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianco
It thus looks like "Your mileage may vary".
Here is the link on the study between Testim and Androgel.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...669&query_hl=5
Old 06-08-2006, 02:21 PM

Has anyone been able to get the generic gel yet?

I am switching from shot to gel and androgel is $50 - ouch. Just curious if this is indeed out yet, when I went to Watson's website I could not find any info on the gel, when it came to testosterone all I could find was the cyp and androderm.

Thanks