Anybody else been getting wacky test results from labcorp?

Discuss Anybody else been getting wacky test results from labcorp? at the Men's Health Forum; I tested nearly 200 points above the top of their range for TT but have only been midrange at quest ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Anybody else been getting wacky test results from labcorp?

I tested nearly 200 points above the top of their range for TT but have only been midrange at quest and a hospital lab. I have found another guy on a different forum getting similar results. Anybody else?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Anybody else been getting wacky test results from labcorp?

Yup same here im definitely never doing a testosterone test there ever again , there on point with most labs but when it comes to testosterone there wayy off lately i dont know why? i had tested at labcorp at 850 then i go to a different lab and my TT was 300 points down!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

The last time I used LabCorp they identified me as a Female - so obviuosly my testosterone levels were slightly high
Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM

geez.....this is disconcerting to read. I was about to have a bunch of tests done using privatemdlabs.com

I wanted to get tests privately and also thought it was a good idea to stick with the same lab I had used 6 years ago (for the same tests including TT) thinking that consistency would be good and possible. So am I wrong in my thinking?

Seems a different lab may be in order which brings to mind the question.....Will the "normal range scale" used by another lab be different......and if so will I be able to convert it and compare it to past tests??

Also i there another place to get lab tests privately? I have looked at ZRT and the Life Extension site and prices. Privatemdlabs was more reasonable in price so I was about to use them.....is somewhere else is higher and recommended that is fine

Input appreciated..........thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Ice View Post
geez.....this is disconcerting to read. I was about to have a bunch of tests done using privatemdlabs.com

I wanted to get tests privately and also thought it was a good idea to stick with the same lab I had used 6 years ago (for the same tests including TT) thinking that consistency would be good and possible. So am I wrong in my thinking?

Seems a different lab may be in order which brings to mind the question.....Will the "normal range scale" used by another lab be different......and if so will I be able to convert it and compare it to past tests??

Also i there another place to get lab tests privately? I have looked at ZRT and the Life Extension site and prices. Privatemdlabs was more reasonable in price so I was about to use them.....is somewhere else is higher and recommended that is fine

Input appreciated..........thanks.
I directly compared labcorp to quest in order to settle this dispute. The result: nearly identical. But the labs have significantly different reference ranges.

So go ahead and use privatemdlabs. I love that service. I can get all of the labs that my stingy doctors will not order and at a decent price to boot. Google privatemdlabs survey and you can get a coupon for 15% off!
Gunrunner likes this.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Wide variability in laboratory reference values fo... [J Sex Med. 2006] - PubMed result

J Sex Med. 2006 Nov;3(6):1085-9.
Wide variability in laboratory reference values for serum testosterone.
Lazarou S, Reyes-Vallejo L, Morgentaler A.

Harvard Medical School, Division of Urology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA.
Abstract
INTRODUCTION: The laboratory determination of testosterone levels consistent with a diagnosis of hypogonadism is complicated by the availability of multiple testosterone assays and varying reference ranges.

AIM: To assess current laboratory practices regarding availability of testosterone assays and use of reference values.

METHODS: A telephone survey of 12 academic, 12 community medical laboratories, and one national laboratory.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Types of androgen assays offered and determination of reference values.

RESULTS: All of the academic and eight of the community centers performed total testosterone testing. Free testosterone was performed in-house by six of the 12 academic and one community center. Testing for bioavailable testosterone, free androgen index, and percent free testosterone was performed in-house by no more than two centers. There were eight and four different assays used for total and free testosterone, respectively. One national laboratory offered equilibrium dialysis measurement of free testosterone. Of the 25 labs, there were 17 and 13 different sets of reference values for total and free testosterone, respectively. The low reference value for total testosterone ranged from 130 to 450 ng/dL (350% difference), and the upper value ranged from 486 to 1,593 ng/dL (325% difference). Age-adjusted reference values were applied in four centers for total testosterone and in seven labs for free testosterone. All reference values were based on a standard statistical model without regard for clinical aspects of hypogonadism. Twenty-three of the 25 lab directors responded that clinically relevant testosterone reference ranges would be preferable to current standards.

CONCLUSIONS: Laboratory reference values for testosterone vary widely, and are established without clinical considerations.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/89/2/520

Serum Testosterone Assays—Accuracy Matters

Last edited by cvictorg; 02-22-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM

well....I suppose I will throw some money at privatemdlabs and see what happens......................

I'll also supplement my anxiety, confusion and dismay with the CONCLUSION: Laboratory reference values for testosterone vary widely, and are established without clinical considerations.

Great.....more confidence in the whole system. ))

thanks guys
Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Ice View Post
well....I suppose I will throw some money at privatemdlabs and see what happens......................

I'll also supplement my anxiety, confusion and dismay with the CONCLUSION: Laboratory reference values for testosterone vary widely, and are established without clinical considerations.

Great.....more confidence in the whole system. ))

thanks guys
Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Labcorp is dogshit... Its official.. Their results were f'd on some of mine too.. And not even hormone related BW...
Disclaimer: My thoughts are fictional ramblings only. The pupose of my participation here is to stimulate fuel for thought. EVERYONE should take everything here will a large grain of salt. Use this information for your own furthe reseach ONLY.

The Wopper Popper
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM

I know its a old thread but lab corps sucks my dhea sulfate came back twice at 100 points over so I went to my regular doctor he did the blood work through a hospital for fear of adrenal tumor and called and it said its normal range . Not to mention in a matter of 2 weeks they had my free testosterone at 14.2 then 10.8 .never again