Anyone know how I can get a prescription for Cortef for Adrenal Fatigue?

Discuss Anyone know how I can get a prescription for Cortef for Adrenal Fatigue? at the Men's Health Forum; I've ran the gambit with regular MD's and they say I'm just fine and my cortisol levels are normal even ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 PM

Default Anyone know how I can get a prescription for Cortef for Adrenal Fatigue?

I've ran the gambit with regular MD's and they say I'm just fine and my cortisol levels are normal even though they are not. It seems like most physicians only prescribe Cortef if you have extremely low cortisol levels (ie Addison's Disease). I've taken a full-day adrenal saliva test and my p.m. average cortisol (1.25 nM) and DHEA (2.9 ng/mL) levels came back low, which would indicate I'm in the worst state of adrenal fatigue. I've been dealing with this for the past five years now and after reading a massive amount of literature on the subject, I know my struggles are related to adrenal fatigue. I have every symptom on the list. I'm in the stage where I'm running on pure adrenaline, which causes anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, etc.

I know of natural products such as Isocort, but I would much rather administer prescription cortisol until my adrenal glands are functioning normally again. Anyone know of a doctor I could present my test results to who would actually prescribe me with what I need? I live in Houston.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Anyone know how I can get a prescription for Cortef for Adrenal Fatigue?

Dr. Mariano in San Diego is regarded as one of the best in the country in this area. You have to fly in for the first visit but, by all accounts, you won't be sorry.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

Default Re: Anyone know how I can get a prescription for Cortef for Adrenal Fatigue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownlonghorn View Post
I've ran the gambit with regular MD's and they say I'm just fine and my cortisol levels are normal even though they are not. It seems like most physicians only prescribe Cortef if you have extremely low cortisol levels (ie Addison's Disease). I've taken a full-day adrenal saliva test and my p.m. average cortisol (1.25 nM) and DHEA (2.9 ng/mL) levels came back low, which would indicate I'm in the worst state of adrenal fatigue. I've been dealing with this for the past five years now and after reading a massive amount of literature on the subject, I know my struggles are related to adrenal fatigue. I have every symptom on the list. I'm in the stage where I'm running on pure adrenaline, which causes anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, etc.

I know of natural products such as Isocort, but I would much rather administer prescription cortisol until my adrenal glands are functioning normally again. Anyone know of a doctor I could present my test results to who would actually prescribe me with what I need? I live in Houston.

Thanks in advance!
Do you have any serum cortisol labs?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbieBlue View Post
One needs to be properly evaluated. The first thing to look at is what is the pathology of your symptoms? Could correcting other factors resolve your issue rather then being on cortef? Cortef for me was a highly psychologically addicted drug and would never go back on it again.. Others its a God sent. I took it for three years to due to the source of my stress which .was dealing with a dysfunctional and manipulative relationship with excessive drama. The solution: I got out much health and life is normal and I was able to cold turkey cortef. Best move I did for myself and my own self sanity..
I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I know of natural products such as Isocort, but I would much rather administer prescription cortisol until my adrenal glands are functioning normally again.
this is a concept I never understood, people want to give external cortisol which will shut down natural production and make them dependent on taking the pills, thinking that somehow that will make their adrenal glands function normally?? this never made any sense to me
Old 07-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking View Post
this is a concept I never understood, people want to give external cortisol which will shut down natural production and make them dependent on taking the pills, thinking that somehow that will make their adrenal glands function normally?? this never made any sense to me
Me neither. It's nuts.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbieBlue View Post
I actually have not. I thought the saliva test would be better since it shows your various cortisol levels throughout the day.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking View Post
I realize this sounds crazy, but according to a couple of books I read this can be a helpful method of giving the adrenals a rest. I'm not saying it's a proven strategy, just something I read. According to the authors, you need to find the right amount of supplemental cortisol that will stabilize your temperature reading throughout the day. Once you find this happy medium, you stay on cortisol for at least eight weeks, and then very slowly wean off. The thought process is that this takes strain off the adrenals and gives them a chance to "rebuild." The biggest problem, however, is finding the right does as it varies by person. AND, if you take too high of a dose, your adrenals WILL cease to produce cortiol and essentially shut down. So apparently it works...you just have to be very careful while administering hydrocortisone. Once again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but for me it could be worth a shot.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I actually have not. I thought the saliva test would be better since it shows your various cortisol levels throughout the day.
Get an serum AM cortisol level. Actually, ask your doctor for a morning, afternoon, and night draw if you can.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I realize this sounds crazy, but according to a couple of books I read this can be a helpful method of giving the adrenals a rest. I'm not saying it's a proven strategy, just something I read. According to the authors, you need to find the right amount of supplemental cortisol that will stabilize your temperature reading throughout the day. Once you find this happy medium, you stay on cortisol for at least eight weeks, and then very slowly wean off. The thought process is that this takes strain off the adrenals and gives them a chance to "rebuild." The biggest problem, however, is finding the right does as it varies by person. AND, if you take too high of a dose, your adrenals WILL cease to produce cortiol and essentially shut down. So apparently it works...you just have to be very careful while administering hydrocortisone. Once again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but for me it could be worth a shot.
It's not worth a shot because it's a load of bull. Your adrenal glands are not tired. If you have a cortisol problem it's because your adrenals aren't working (resting them isn't going to do anything) or something further upstairs is broken. You need some real labs, not some Genova Diagnostics bullshit.

You could do the supplemental HC route...which was all the rage around these parts (and others) 1-2 years ago. Doesn't seem like anyone does it anymore. Probably because it's a giant pain in the ass and it didn't work for about 90% of the people trying it.