Bio-identical versus synthetic testosterone

Discuss Bio-identical versus synthetic testosterone at the Men's Health Forum; I just read that Andrgogel uses "bio-identical" testosterone . I think that means that it was naturally derived from yams, ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Bio-identical versus synthetic testosterone

I just read that Andrgogel uses "bio-identical" testosterone. I think that means that it was naturally derived from yams, as opposed to manufactured synthetically, but I'm not sure. In any event, I was wondering if anyone knew whether bio-identical testosterone was easier on the body or provided any other benefits over synthetic testosterone. I just switched from Androgel (which uses bio-identical testosterone) to a cream (which uses testosterone of an unknown type) and I feel noticeably lousier and sometimes flushed. My estrogen and test levels just came back and are fine (to my surprise), so perhaps my symptoms have nothing to do with TRT.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 PM

Default Re: Bio-identical versus synthetic testosterone

If its methyl-testosterone then you can get insomnia and anxiety, it is not chemically identicle and has more side effects.

http://webapps.ama-assn.org/contactus/contactusMain.do

http://www.aace.com/contact.php
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2006, 04:22 AM

Cool Re: Bio-identical versus synthetic testosterone

From gels, Testim uses T like our body produce(its own,natural),compared to enanthate and stuff like that.That's why in Testim's instructions doesn't say about a particular type of Testosterone.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

"bio-identical" is what you want it is the same as your body makes and is made from yams and other plants.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumper
From gels, Testim uses T like our body produce(its own,natural),compared to enanthate and stuff like that.That's why in Testim's instructions doesn't say about a particular type of Testosterone.
Ethanate is just an ester attached to (bio-identical) testosterone. Any legitimate form of TRT (gels, compounded creams/gels, injectable ethanate/cypionate/propionate or blends thereof, pellets, patches) uses "natural" testosterone, but some advertise it more loudly than others because it might boost sales a bit.

drp90210, 1cc and others already gave you some good advice about why creams might not be working in your other thread. The issues they mentioned are much better candidates for your concern than this.

Last edited by Cynical Simian; 12-09-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drp90210
I just read that Andrgogel uses "bio-identical" testosterone. I think that means that it was naturally derived from yams, as opposed to manufactured synthetically, but I'm not sure. In any event, I was wondering if anyone knew whether bio-identical testosterone was easier on the body or provided any other benefits over synthetic testosterone. I just switched from Androgel (which uses bio-identical testosterone) to a cream (which uses testosterone of an unknown type) and I feel noticeably lousier and sometimes flushed. My estrogen and test levels just came back and are fine (to my surprise), so perhaps my symptoms have nothing to do with TRT.

It is all synthetic. There is no such thing as "naturally produced" testosterone. It is synthesized from a molecule isolated from mexican yams or soybeans.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:18 PM

Cynical Simian (love the handle!) -- yes, I realize the synthetic vs bio-identical thing was probably not causing my symptoms, but wanted to throw it out as a possibility. Suzanne Summers -- benig the hormone expert she is :-) -- makes a big deal out of bio-identical in her new hormone book. I have followed 1CC's advice but have still felt crappy since converting from Androgel to a cream. I know creams seems to work for most others. I'm still playing detective and when I figure it out (or get better) I'll report any interesting discoveries.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:30 PM

There's certainly no harm in being thorough, especially given that, as you noted, it's odd that you're feeling poor even with normal test results. A couple questions about those labs:

You said you had "estrogen" tested - was it estradiol (sensitive assay)? Sometimes docs who don't often order estrogen tests for male patients will mark the regular test, which is pretty much useless for men. If that happened, get it rechecked with the proper test.

Also, when did you have the test done (relative to application) and was there any chance that some cream was applied to the draw site (if I remember correctly, you're applying it to your arm)? In my thread about how long to wait to test after applying a cream, Phil recommended testing a couple times (say, once in the morning and again in the afternoon) to get a more complete picture of what's happening.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks Cynical Simian. The test was for E2 (estradiol) and came back at a 33 on a norm scale of 21-76. I was surprised because my symptoms seemed to mimick those of estogen imbalance. The blood draw was from the arm not used for cream application. I seemed to feel much better on HCG (low dose) w Androgel, as opposed to HCG (low dose) w/ cream, but maybe my body is now adjusting to the new modality, or perhaps I simply got used to the super high levels of DHT caused by the Androgel and am just crashing from the high (although that seems unlikely). In any event, its a bit of a mystery now, but with further fiddling and testing I'm sure I'll get to the right treament.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeil2
It is all synthetic. There is no such thing as "naturally produced" testosterone. It is synthesized from a molecule isolated from mexican yams or soybeans.
Exactly,seems like a refresher in organic chemistry is needed.This is commonly taken advantage of in marketing schemes.

Bio-identical means exactly that,the same as produced in the body,of which I believe the scientist responsibe earned a nobel prize.He had to go thru a ton of bull testicles to finally find the testosterone as we now know.It wasn,t as easy to find as thyroid as thyroid is present in detectable quantities in the thyroid gland whereas testosterone is not.

Natural Vitamin C vs.synthetic Vitamin C.If atomic diagram is equal or same than both are equal,no difference.

Molecular diagram of methyltest does not equal test tho there is a resmblance with the addition of a 17 alkl group at the right hand of the molecule.This addition throws a monkey wrench in the body whereby the liver can't handle it and walla` jaundice.........