Can SSRi's increase libido?

Discuss Can SSRi's increase libido? at the Men's Health Forum; Has anyone experienced an increase in libido on an SSRI? A few people on this forum have reported increased libido ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,059
Default Can SSRi's increase libido?

Has anyone experienced an increase in libido on an SSRI?

A few people on this forum have reported increased libido on low dose lexapro.

Is this possible?

I have been resisting SSRi's for YEARS now. The sexual side effects scare the sh*t outta me but i have a feeling my issue is more seratonin than the other neurotransmitters.

I am currently on wellbutrin which is okay but at the higher dose i wake up in the morning with my heart pounding in my chest (which isn't fun), i can't make eyecontact with people (anxiety), and my short term and long term memory is destroyed. I feel like i have alzheimers.

And at the lower dose it doesn't help that much.

So I am wondering if i should bite the bullet and take an SSRi.

And if so, what's the best one? Zoloft? Lexapro? Prozac? Paxil?

I've tried both Zoloft and Lexapro but I quit them both within a week. I got too paranoid about the sexual side effects.

But now that i'm on testosterone maybe the sexual sides won't be that bad...

Thoughts?

Last edited by Tyler81; 04-27-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 411
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

Its different with every person. Initially they did for me, but over time my T dropped. I have a good friend who is VERY bipolar along with clinical depression. Hes on an anti pyschotic, mood stabilizer, and 60 mg of cymbalta and he says his libido is through the roof. Hes been on these drugs a long time to. He also has a natural T level of 900.

Its hit and miss. Id say over time libido will drop but if you can keep you T levels optimal via gels who knows.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 04-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,884
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

You can try it but in my experience it ain't gonna help.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 411
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

Tyler estrogen also plays an important role in libido. Are you still having issues with libido? Or are you curious about the mild depression you are experiencing?

You stated your T was 800 ish. It might be a bit high for your biochemical makeup. Its a slippery slope. You'll be on Testim, Wellbutrin, and an SSRI. If you are experiencing anxiety Id cut the wellbutrin.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 885
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

Tyler: Now that you are stabilized on TRT, have you considered dropping the wellbutrin altogether?

The withdrawal could suck. I had problems even after being on the med for a few weeks. But in the end, you might be just fine with your T levels back in place.

I'd say it's worth a shot. Memory loss and anxiety would have me running for the hills a long time ago.

I do, however, very much understand you apprehension of possibly returning back to a depressed state.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,059
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erCru View Post
Tyler estrogen also plays an important role in libido. Are you still having issues with libido? Or are you curious about the mild depression you are experiencing?

You stated your T was 800 ish. It might be a bit high for your biochemical makeup. Its a slippery slope. You'll be on Testim, Wellbutrin, and an SSRI. If you are experiencing anxiety Id cut the wellbutrin.
I don't think estrogen plays a factor with me. When it's high or normal or low - i pretty much feel the same. I used aromasin last year to lower it and i felt the same.

I apply Testim twice a day to keep my estrogen under control. 5grams in the morning and 2.5grams in the evening. This keeps the "peak" value lower which causes less T to be dumped into e2

I also take DIM, vitamin D3, extra fibre and zinc
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,059
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erCru View Post
Tyler estrogen also plays an important role in libido. Are you still having issues with libido? Or are you curious about the mild depression you are experiencing?
I had a great libido on WB/Testim for a while, but then the WB sort of stopped working and i've been playing around with the dose of both the WB and Testim. I can't tolerate the higher dose of WB because it gives me too much anxiety. But at the lower dose, i can feel it wear off in the evening.

I've timed it and 150mg wellbutrin lasts exactly 6 hours. Then I feel kinda shitty.

Last edited by Tyler81; 04-27-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,059
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman View Post
Tyler: Now that you are stabilized on TRT, have you considered dropping the wellbutrin altogether?

The withdrawal could suck. I had problems even after being on the med for a few weeks. But in the end, you might be just fine with your T levels back in place.

I'd say it's worth a shot. Memory loss and anxiety would have me running for the hills a long time ago.

I do, however, very much understand you apprehension of possibly returning back to a depressed state.
Yeah i've considered it. I'm sort of preparing myself to come off it right now. I have started taking it every other day (instead of everyday)

I could stop it tomorrow even.

BUT, i've noticed i feel more moody and irritable without it. I sort of snap at people. And if I stop it, and i fall into a deep funk, it takes 6 weeks to start up again.

Last edited by Tyler81; 04-27-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 885
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler81 View Post
Yeah i've considered it. I'm sort of preparing myself to come off it right now. I have started taking it every other day (instead of everyday)

I could stop it tomorrow even.

BUT, i've noticed i feel more moody and irritable without it. I sort of snap at people. And if I stop it, and i fall into a deep funk, it takes 6 weeks to start up again.
You might be withdrawing already. The only way you will know for sure if you can be happy without the WB is if you get off of it for weeks straight.

Did your memory improve on the days you did not take it?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,059
Default Re: Can SSRi's increase libido?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman View Post
You might be withdrawing already. The only way you will know for sure if you can be happy without the WB is if you get off of it for weeks straight.

Did your memory improve on the days you did not take it?
Yeah I plan to come off it.

I feel like mid May i will try to completely cold turkey it.

The weather is getting warmer/nicer - sun is shining and all that shit

I am also excercising more and i am hoping that will help me smoothly come off it.


Knock on wood.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.