Does insurance ever cover androgel?

Discuss Does insurance ever cover androgel? at the Men's Health Forum; If my doc prescribes it w/ the scores to back it up? I have a PPO. I did the math ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default Does insurance ever cover androgel?

If my doc prescribes it w/ the scores to back it up? I have a PPO.

I did the math and by the time I stop lifting and enjoying its benefits the total will come to around $70K
Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Default Re: Does insurance ever cover androgel?

Mine has covered androgel, testim, and hcg.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member

May I ask what you pay monthly?
Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

I have BCBS HMO through my employer.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

I have seen many decent BC/BS policies that wont cover gels and creams, but will cover injectibles with the right coding. A friend of mine was recently prescribed a patch and it was covered for a 30$ co-pay, and I think it is a newer technology of patch.....

Best bet is to take your script up to the pharmacy and ask them to run it and see if it is covered. They will be able to tell you pretty quickly if not. If you are that adverse to injectible, then tell your doc its too much and ask for the patch instead and see if they will cover it. IMO the patch would be a superior option to gels and creams as they must be spread on a large area and messy. They also come off on other people. Including your children...... You dont want that. Although a little test rubbed off on the woman would not hurt your chances for a BJ.....
Disclaimer: My thoughts are fictional ramblings only. The pupose of my participation here is to stimulate fuel for thought. EVERYONE should take everything here will a large grain of salt. Use this information for your own furthe reseach ONLY.

The Wopper Popper
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Having injected around 1K times definitely not afraid (and probably why I need HRT, . However I am interested in the more natural mimicking nature of gels and the evidence that gels (due to DHT conversion) are better at stimulating sex drive.

At the risk of being vulgar, wife was always generous w/ the BJ's when she knew she would get pounded crosseyed by me as an encore. Sadly those days seem to be in the past unless I get on HRT. Low dosage test plus very small amount of PDF=3 times a night no prob.

Hopefully my doc will put me on in 3 weeks when I see him again. I am starting to feel that my marital happiness is dependent on test interpretation. It would probably be easier (and cheaper) for me to go black market, but I really want to be a law abiding citizen.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:18 AM

My insurance uses Medco as the drug administrator and they cover Androgel and Testim. I know that Aetna will cover Androgel, but will only cover Testim if nothing else works. I find that strange, as Androgel and Testim are the same price.

My company changed the retiree medical for this year. The drug administrator is still Medco, but the copays are different. It was $25 per month or $50 for 3 months. It is now $75 per month or $150 for 3 months. In 2 months I go on Medicare, with a retiree supplemental. The copay will be $20 per month or $40 for 3 months. I got a 3 month supply last month, so I will not have to get any during the higher copay period.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldFart View Post
My insurance uses Medco as the drug administrator and they cover Androgel and Testim. I know that Aetna will cover Androgel, but will only cover Testim if nothing else works. I find that strange, as Androgel and Testim are the same price.

My company changed the retiree medical for this year. The drug administrator is still Medco, but the copays are different. It was $25 per month or $50 for 3 months. It is now $75 per month or $150 for 3 months. In 2 months I go on Medicare, with a retiree supplemental. The copay will be $20 per month or $40 for 3 months. I got a 3 month supply last month, so I will not have to get any during the higher copay period.
I pay $30/month for androgel through my insurance -- same price regardless of dose doc puts you on. = $360/year which is not cheap but I feel it is money well spent! Shots are a lot cheaper but I like androgel better for several reasons.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

I talked to my bud the other day. He had not used AAS before and was a natural 250 when tested at the age of 46. He states that after about 10 days on patch he is really feeling better. He did not get that response from gel when he tried it once in the past. He also states that this patch sticks like a SOB!!. Really super glued and hard to peel off even after 24 hours.

With that said, you mentioned DHT Conversion. It is my understanding that your DHT or E2 conversion rate is affected by where you apply a topical. For instance, if you apply to Fatty area you will convern more E2 because E2 receptors are present in fat tissue. On the other hand, it would probably be a terrible idea to stick one to your scalp...., as there is an abundance of DHT receptors in that area.

You also have to keep in mind (if you are not up on the TRT section) that there are many problems associated with long term use of T, even at a small TRT size dose. For whatever reason, there seems to be an inherent issue with E2 accumulation with extended use that must be controled with an AI. You probably were never on a cycle long enough to see. I am pretty sure the reason that we have this E2 issue is due to the fact that the body would naturally be able to rev down T production NORMALY. But with the consistent application of exogenous T, this does not happen. I am becomming convinced that with above normal body fat (as all old guys have), the exogenous application of T is almost a death warrant without E2 control applied as well.

1) Fat accumulation results in a naturally (or supplemented) higher level of E2, including a skewed improper T/E ratio.

2) It is the E2 that is the cause of the low T production (in many) that causes us to become low in testosterone.

3) The body is shutting down T production so that E2 levels will fall, as E2 may be the Devil.

The point is, that E2 may very well be the root of male health issues like prostate cancer, heart disease, etc. More to the point. As you may not experience these nasty results for many years, you will find that your sex life will suffer fairly quickly. Unmitigated E2 in men, WILL CAUSE the inability to have a good erection, reduction in seminal volume, and prostate disfuntion that is exhibited in an ejaculation that is poor in strength. Without E2 control you could wind up worse than you are now. I am starting to believe that any doc enguaging in TRT protocols without consideration of E2 mitigation should just stay home as this practice may do more harm (for most cases today). But what is the cost of the long term use of Arimidex? This will be an issue for ALL TRT patients that are endeavoring simply due to age related declines in T. As TRT goes mainstream, and it is no longer used as a treatment for only the physically injured, this will become a paramount issure. Just food for your research thought.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
Having injected around 1K times definitely not afraid (and probably why I need HRT, . However I am interested in the more natural mimicking nature of gels and the evidence that gels (due to DHT conversion) are better at stimulating sex drive.

At the risk of being vulgar, wife was always generous w/ the BJ's when she knew she would get pounded crosseyed by me as an encore. Sadly those days seem to be in the past unless I get on HRT. Low dosage test plus very small amount of PDF=3 times a night no prob.

Hopefully my doc will put me on in 3 weeks when I see him again. I am starting to feel that my marital happiness is dependent on test interpretation. It would probably be easier (and cheaper) for me to go black market, but I really want to be a law abiding citizen.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Good post BBC3....in my experience I always regulated my estrogen w/ Nolvadex and proviron (I used Clomid also, but not for e management).

The doc I am seeing now likes to use Arimidex which, based on the science, should also work well for me.