Does Seroquel lower sex drive?

Discuss Does Seroquel lower sex drive? at the Men's Health Forum; After many many years of trying to deal with some pretty serious issues (insomnia and Homicidal idiation/anger management) through prayer, ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Default Does Seroquel lower sex drive?

After many many years of trying to deal with some pretty serious issues (insomnia and Homicidal idiation/anger management) through prayer, meditation and a very high level of involvement in AA (I am 12 years and 8 months sober) I finally went to see a well regarded local psychiatrist.

He diagnosed me as Bi-Polar and has put me on Seroquel. I also committed to therapy (he seems to be concerned about my gun ownership and martial arts background, ).

Well, he was spot on, my somewhat psychotic obsessions have subsided and I am sleeping like a baby for 7 plus hours every night and am feeling 100% better.

However I notice a drop in my sex drive, could this be related to the seroquel?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Default Re: Does Seroquel lower sex drive?

Most psychotropics hurt sex drive, so it is possible. Weigh the benefits.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbieBlue View Post
Most psychotropics hurt sex drive, so it is possible. Weigh the benefits.

It has become pretty clear that I need to be on this medication. I sleep very well and feel good.

Definitely better QOL. And the world is a safer place
Old 01-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

SEROQUEL WILL LOWER EVERYTHING!!!

You need to reconsider. If you notice this is one of those drugs where they state it is worth prescribing if the benefits outweigh the risk... THere are a multitude of lawsuits out there on this one. Including sure diabetes. You need to read the prescribing information on it and go ahead and shit your pants... The only thing more dangerous would be Lamictal (however, the best antidepressant ever, IMO)

WIth Seroquel, you will put on piles of weight YOU WILL NEVER REMOVE. YOU will fuck your body up far beyond rocovery.

If you are a TRUE Bipolar and you have acted out and cycling more actively, you may need it. PERSONALLY, I do not think many do. I would simply stop all drugs and alcohol prior to trying this drug. Have you tried a simply SSRI, Prozac, Paxil, and Lexapro, can all be extremely sedating, and may be all you need to be even keel (although they advise against for BiPolars). It is a shame to have to take that med. I am simply saying, I would try ANYTHING prior to taking it. If you are abusing alcohol or steroids or whatever, you should really consider stopping all those and give that a try first....
When I say "abusing", I also include 2 drinks for you as I am sure this has been involved in all your epsiodes. As with most.... You CANT HAVE ANY!!!!!! Get over it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
It has become pretty clear that I need to be on this medication. I sleep very well and feel good.

Definitely better QOL. And the world is a safer place
Disclaimer: My thoughts are fictional ramblings only. The pupose of my participation here is to stimulate fuel for thought. EVERYONE should take everything here will a large grain of salt. Use this information for your own furthe reseach ONLY.

The Wopper Popper

Last edited by BBC3; 01-31-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

I have not had a drink in nearly 20 years. I have been clean and sober for nearly 13 years. I go to AA 4 times a week and my life rotates around the program.

I absolutely do not take any drug unless it is monitored and regulated by a professional and I am 100% honest about my drug and alcohol history.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry, dont mean to muddy the water. I got the feeling you were new to that drug. I really dont know what to say, AND CERTAINLY DO NOT INTEND TO TELL YOU WHAT TO TAKE...... just want to be clear on that. To answer the question. Those type drugs ( I have researched and have some experience with Seroquel myself) shut you down on a serious broad scale basis. Seroquel is an interesting drug that acts different ways at different doses. Low doese of somewhere around 200mgs or less, act as an antihistamine. If you are on the larger doses, say 400-900mgs, thats a different story as well, as the response to the drug changes completely. BiPolar is very serious if righteously diagnosed. I would not be the one to re-evaluate that. Just pointing out the effects are tremedous....

This would be a good one for head doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
I have not had a drink in nearly 20 years. I have been clean and sober for nearly 13 years. I go to AA 4 times a week and my life rotates around the program.

I absolutely do not take any drug unless it is monitored and regulated by a professional and I am 100% honest about my drug and alcohol history.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 PM

It did not lower mine. Doc put me on 50 mg's off label for insomia...as stated above higher doses have side effects like diabetes....whats ur dose??
Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

I "only" take 75 mg extended release, that is PLENTY!

I can't believe that people are taking 400 plus. In any event, I was becoming a potential danger to myself and others without it (I am also starting some anger management type therapy although the homicidal idiation has passed)
Old 01-31-2010, 07:48 PM

I know little about this, but I have a friend who is on seroquel . He is a paranoid schizophrenic , 300 mg (seroquel) and also inovane ( not sure of dosage ) He did a cycle last year for the first time (he is 42) some test and eq for 12 weeks, and was able to come off all meds . He got them from the black market. He went to the doctors and told them he felt healed. The doctors threatened to put him in the psyc ward and told him HRT was not for him. Any insight? He started getting depression around his 33rd birthday and thinks he was suffering from low test levels and was misdiagnosed. He recently tried to contact a anti-aging clinic in Vancouver, BC for an opinion other than his psychiatrist, but as of right now he can't afford the $450 for a consult plus $300 for bloodwork. Here are some closing thoughts: seven weeks into the cycle he did, I saw the man I knew before any of his problems came on. He said he had no more paranoia, the voices in his head were gone. He lost 30 lbs and was very active again.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Your friend is going to need to get his baseline test measured. If it is low then yes it is absolutely contributing to his depression.