Does tribulus actually increase Testosterone levels?

Discuss Does tribulus actually increase Testosterone levels? at the Men's Health Forum; I took tribestan brand. I felt like superman for a few weeks! Spontaneous erections...dreaming up fight scenarios...improved athletic endurance... better ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM

Default Does tribulus actually increase Testosterone levels?

I took tribestan brand. I felt like superman for a few weeks! Spontaneous erections...dreaming up fight scenarios...improved athletic endurance... better cognitive performance... more motivation in school....etc.

Then I started getting really depressed and anxious.

So....

Does tribulus actually raise T or does it work on a different mechanism?

Or...

Is tribestan just spiked with some kind of steroid?

I know that my post-use testosterone levels were about half of what they were before I started using tribestan. No data while taking the product.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Does tribulus actually increase Testosterone levels?

No no no no and no.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifto View Post
No no no no and no.
That's what I've heard. I am willing to bet it actually lowers levels in some.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 AM

Most of TT supps are just a chinese junk powder.

Some says that TT works through DHEA and increasing of dopamine (MAOI)
And works only if you DHEA / testosterone level is quite low.
You can increase you level with TT for short time, but higher levels (converted to e2 and DHT) signals pituitary (HPTA), that you have enough and body lower the production.

TT must by cycled and for best results used with some mild anti-aromatase or SERM drug / supplement.
Lowering the level of cortisol will be good idea too

But up to date noting is know for sure!

Quote:
Fiziol Zh. 2009;55(5):89-96.
The influence of the Tribulus terrestris extract on the parameters of the functional preparadness and athletes' organism homeostase.

Milasius K, Dadeliene R, Skernevicius J.
Vilnius Pedagogical University, Lithuania.
The influence of the Tribulus terrestris extract on the parameters of the functional preparadness and athletes' organism homeostase was investigated. It was established the positive impact of dietary supplement "Tribulus" (Optimum Nutrition, U.S.A.) using per 1 capsule 3 times a day during 20 days on athletes' physical power in various energy producing zones: anaerobic alactic muscular power and anaerobic alactic glycolytic power statistically reliable increased. Tribulus terrestris extract, after 20 days of consuming it, did not have essential effect on erythrocytes, haemoglobin and thrombocytes indices. During the experimental period statistically importantly increased percentage of granulocytes and decreased percentage of leucocytes show negative impact of this food supplement on changes of leucocytes formula in athletes' blood. Creatinkinase concentration in athletes' blood statistically importantly has increased and creatinine amount has had a tendency to decline during 20 days period of consuming Tribulus terrestris extract. The declining tendency of urea, cholesterol and bilirubin concentrations has appeared. The concentration of blood testosterone increased statistically reliable during the first half (10 days) of the experiment; it did not grow during the next 10 days while consuming Tribulus still.
Quote:
Protodioscin from herbal plant Tribulus terrestris L improves the male sexual functions, probably via DHEA
Tribulus terrestris & Protodioscin Study - Sexual Functions & DHEA
[...]
After treatment with TTL (Libilov), there were significant increases in the serum DHEA-S levels in the diabetic patients with and without ED (Table II).
[...]
There were no significant differences observed in the hormone (testosterone, FSH, LH and prolactine), cholesterol, triglycerides, and Hb levels, as well as in the liver (SGPT, SGOT, Gamma GT) and kidney (creatinine and urea) functions before and after TTL treatment in all ED patients.

Last edited by Kwirion; 03-23-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Doctor of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman View Post
I took tribestan brand. I felt like superman for a few weeks! Spontaneous erections...dreaming up fight scenarios...improved athletic endurance... better cognitive performance... more motivation in school....etc.

Then I started getting really depressed and anxious.

So....

Does tribulus actually raise T or does it work on a different mechanism?

Or...

Is tribestan just spiked with some kind of steroid?

I know that my post-use testosterone levels were about half of what they were before I started using tribestan. No data while taking the product.

I investigated Tribulus Terrestis (TT) a decade ago. [Street C, Antonio J, Scally MC. The Effects of Tribulus Terrestis on Endocrine Status in Recreational BodyBuilders - A Preliminary Report. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 2000 Suppl;32(5).]

My interest came about by the hypogonadism that I was seeing in BB using this supplement. This effect was in a starked contrast to what was advertised. The results of my small study showed no effect on serum T. These same results were later shown in published studies (below). In summary, I would avoid this product.

Neychev VK, Mitev VI. The aphrodisiac herb Tribulus terrestris does not influence the androgen production in young men. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;101(1-3):319-23.

OBJECTIVE: The aim of the current study is to investigate the influence of Tribulus terrestris extract on androgen metabolism in young males. DESIGN AND METHODS: Twenty-one healthy young 20-36 years old men with body weight ranging from 60 to 125 kg were randomly separated into three groups-two experimental (each n=7) and a control (placebo) one (n=7). The experimental groups were named TT1 and TT2 and the subjects were assigned to consume 20 and 10 mg/kg body weight per day of Tribulus terrestris extract, respectively, separated into three daily intakes for 4 weeks. Testosterone, androstenedione and luteinizing hormone levels in the serum were measured 24 h before supplementation (clear probe), and at 24, 72, 240, 408 and 576 h from the beginning of the supplementation. RESULTS: There was no significant difference between Tribulus terrestris supplemented groups and controls in the serum testosterone (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 15.75+/-1.75 nmol/l); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 16.32+/-1.57 nmol/l); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 17.74+/-1.09 nmol/l) (p>0.05)), androstenedione (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 1.927+/-0.126 ng/ml); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 2.026+/-0.256 ng/ml); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 1.952+/-0.236 ng/ml) (p>0.05)) or luteinizing hormone (TT1 (mean+/-S.D.: 4.662+/-0.274U/l); TT2 (mean+/-S.D.: 4.103+/-0.869U/l); controls (mean+/-S.D.: 4.170+/-0.406U/l) (p>0.05)) levels. All results were within the normal range. The findings in the current study anticipate that Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins possess neither direct nor indirect androgen-increasing properties. The study will be extended in the clarifying the probable mode of action of Tribulus terrestris steroid saponins.

Rogerson S, Riches CJ, Jennings C, Weatherby RP, Meir RA, Marshall-Gradisnik SM. The effect of five weeks of Tribulus terrestris supplementation on muscle strength and body composition during preseason training in elite rugby league players. J Strength Cond Res 2007;21(2):348-53.

Tribulus terrestris is an herbal nutritional supplement that is promoted to produce large gains in strength and lean muscle mass in 5-28 days (15, 18). Although some manufacturers claim T. terrestris will not lead to a positive drug test, others have suggested that T. terrestris may increase the urinary testosterone/epitestosterone (T/E) ratio, which may place athletes at risk of a positive drug test. The purpose of the study was to determine the effect of T. terrestris on strength, fat free mass, and the urinary T/E ratio during 5 weeks of preseason training in elite rugby league players. Twenty-two Australian elite male rugby league players (mean +/- SD; age = 19.8 +/- 2.9 years; weight = 88.0 +/- 9.5 kg) were match-paired and randomly assigned in a double-blind manner to either a T. terrestris (n = 11) or placebo (n = 11) group. All subjects performed structured heavy resistance training as part of the club's preseason preparations. A T. terrestris extract (450 mg.d(-1)) or placebo capsules were consumed once daily for 5 weeks. Muscular strength, body composition, and the urinary T/E ratio were monitored prior to and after supplementation. After 5 weeks of training, strength and fat free mass increased significantly without any between-group differences. No between-group differences were noted in the urinary T/E ratio. It was concluded that T. terrestris did not produce the large gains in strength or lean muscle mass that many manufacturers claim can be experienced within 5-28 days. Furthermore, T. terrestris did not alter the urinary T/E ratio and would not place an athlete at risk of testing positive based on the World Anti-Doping Agency's urinary T/E ratio limit of 4:1.

Saudan C, Baume N, Emery C, Strahm E, Saugy M. Short term impact of Tribulus terrestris intake on doping control analysis of endogenous steroids. Forensic Sci Int 2008;178(1):e7-10.

Tribulus terrestris is a nutritional supplement highly debated regarding its physiological and actual effects on the organism. The main claimed effect is an increase of testosterone anabolic and androgenic action through the activation of endogenous testosterone production. Even if this biological pathway is not entirely proven, T. terrestris is regularly used by athletes. Recently, the analysis of two female urine samples by GC/C/IRMS (gas chromatography/combustion/isotope-ratio-mass-spectrometry) conclusively revealed the administration of exogenous testosterone or its precursors, even if the testosterone glucuronide/epitestosterone glucuronide (T/E) ratio and steroid marker concentrations were below the cut-off values defined by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). To argue against this adverse analytical finding, the athletes recognized having used T. terrestris in their diet. In order to test this hypothesis, two female volunteers ingested 500 mg of T. terrestris, three times a day and for two consecutive days. All spot urines were collected during 48 h after the first intake. The (13)C/(12)C ratio of ketosteroids was determined by GC/C/IRMS, the T/E ratio and DHEA concentrations were measured by GC/MS and LH concentrations by radioimmunoassay. None of these parameters revealed a significant variation or increased above the WADA cut-off limits. Hence, the short-term treatment with T. terrestris showed no impact on the endogenous testosterone metabolism of the two subjects.
cazper likes this.

Email for free copy (pdf), "Anabolic Steroids - A Question of Muscle: Human Subject Abuses in Anabolic Steroid Research."

Email - [email protected]
Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/michaelscally
Blog - http://michaelscally.blogspot.com/
FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000559797692
Post Cycle Therapy (PCT)/ Androgen Induced Hypogonadism (AIH) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/609337655745437/
Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 AM

I'm not fan of TT, but all this studies was done in good trained subjects (i.e. elite players)

What with men with hypo / ED problems?

From me experience TT gave me some (small) relief from low testo problems (less anxiety, more energy), better libido. No gains on gym.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Scally: can you disclose your source of TT?

I am willing to bet that some brands are "spiked" with something suppressive.

My TT went from 590 (and this was a 1:00pm draw!) to 345 (8am draw) after using tribestan TT. I am willing to bet that the TT shut me down.

And then of course I thought I should keep taking more to fix the problem at which point I bagan having significant mood disturbances.

And then I saw the Estradiol=35 and decided to take arimidex.

Needless to say, I am just now beginning to regrow my chest hair about a year later.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 AM

I´ve found a lot of people on different netforums saying they could feel some boost of the libido.
I wan´t to try TT myself, just a little worried messing with my hormone system.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

all anecodotal ....No science behind it what so ever. Why it works I have no clue but i know it does give me a jolt when I took it back in the day
I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM

I used a product called Nitro T-3 5 years ago. It had tribulus and the effects were unbelievable. I couldn't believe how great I felt. My workouts were awesome, mentally felt sharper all day long and libido went through the roof. It was that product that made me believe that the way I was feeling my whole life was not right. I stopped after a month and looked for help from a doctor to look into my hormones. It was then where I discovered many of my hormone problem.

Unfortunately there isn't a ton of science to back Tribulus up, but I know many people who had great results with it and some that did not.