Hard small lump in scrotal skin--anyone else has this ??

Discuss Hard small lump in scrotal skin--anyone else has this ?? at the Men's Health Forum; I've had this very small (1.5 to 2mm) hard non painful lump in the skin of scrotum for years now--it's ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Hard small lump in scrotal skin--anyone else has this ??

I've had this very small (1.5 to 2mm) hard non painful lump in the skin of scrotum for years now--it's mostly white colored.

When I roll it between my fingers I can feel it being very hard, but it's not painful at all and hasn't changed it's size at all for years. I read it could be a spermatocele cyst forming in the epidermis and protruding through the scrotal skin.

This is not to be confused with a hard lump on a testicle.

Obviously, I intend to show this to my doc, but I thought I'd run this by the board first to see what's up with this, as I'm pretty sure others have this and either have left it alone or have brought this to their doctor's attention.

Thanks all
Old 12-01-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Hard small lump in scrotal skin--anyone else has this ??

Sounds like you have a sebaceous cyst. I've had one for many years. Certainly show your Doc but, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Sebaceous Cysts

Skin that bears hair is kept soft by the oil (sebum) secreted by sebaceous glands. These glands open into the hair follicles and, if blocked, become distended by their own secretions. Eventually, enough sebum accumulates to form a sebaceous cyst * a smooth, firm nodule in the skin.

The cyst contains a white-yellow cheesy material and sometimes has a visible opening onto the skin. The tip of the grease plug may then look dark brown or black (blackhead) due to the presence of the skin pigment, melanin * not dirt as is commonly believed.

All lumps on the scrotum are best checked by a doctor. If the sebaceous cyst is small and causing no problems, it may safely be left alone. Larger cysts may cause friction and are unsightly, so are usually excised under a local anaesthetic.

Sebaceous cysts frequently become infected * particularly in the groin region where bacteria are prevalent. An infected cyst is red, swollen, painful and frequently discharges a foul-smelling pus. This is damped down with antibiotics and then excised to prevent future recurrent infections.

If the cyst wall is removed entirely, the sebaceous cyst should not recur. Often, a small piece of cyst wall is inadvertently left behind. This continues to secrete sebum and the cyst will then reform.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

I have this have had if for yrs Dr. said it's a sebaceous cyst and if it stays the same size leave it.

Now I did have one that grew to be the size of the tip of my little finger never hurt had this one removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe View Post
Sounds like you have a sebaceous cyst. I've had one for many years. Certainly show your Doc but, it's nothing to be concerned about.

Sebaceous Cysts

Skin that bears hair is kept soft by the oil (sebum) secreted by sebaceous glands. These glands open into the hair follicles and, if blocked, become distended by their own secretions. Eventually, enough sebum accumulates to form a sebaceous cyst * a smooth, firm nodule in the skin.

The cyst contains a white-yellow cheesy material and sometimes has a visible opening onto the skin. The tip of the grease plug may then look dark brown or black (blackhead) due to the presence of the skin pigment, melanin * not dirt as is commonly believed.

All lumps on the scrotum are best checked by a doctor. If the sebaceous cyst is small and causing no problems, it may safely be left alone. Larger cysts may cause friction and are unsightly, so are usually excised under a local anaesthetic.

Sebaceous cysts frequently become infected * particularly in the groin region where bacteria are prevalent. An infected cyst is red, swollen, painful and frequently discharges a foul-smelling pus. This is damped down with antibiotics and then excised to prevent future recurrent infections.

If the cyst wall is removed entirely, the sebaceous cyst should not recur. Often, a small piece of cyst wall is inadvertently left behind. This continues to secrete sebum and the cyst will then reform.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgamer18 View Post
I have this have had if for yrs Dr. said it's a sebaceous cyst and if it stays the same size leave it.

Now I did have one that grew to be the size of the tip of my little finger never hurt had this one removed.
I have one on my right shoulder, middle of the shoulder going 2" back down from top of shoulder. When full, you can see little bump.

From time to time I squize out 0.25 -0.5 cc of stinking white grease.
Does not bother me otherwise.
I am planning a visit to skin doc, how difficult is the removal process or should I just leave it alone?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
I have one on my right shoulder, middle of the shoulder going 2" back down from top of shoulder. When full, you can see little bump.

From time to time I squize out 0.25 -0.5 cc of stinking white grease.
Does not bother me otherwise.
I am planning a visit to skin doc, how difficult is the removal process or should I just leave it alone?

I too have one same place as yours but somewhat lower down back, but mine is very large ; as big as the thumb--I showed this to dertmatologist and he said I'll have to have it surgically removed and I'm still awaiting the surgeon's secretary to ring me.

I used to have (or stil have to some degree) cystic acne, so this is why I have this large on in the back.

Thanks Snipe and PMgamer for replying--I'll still show this to doc but I'm not as worried--reason I was worried is an M.D. told me it could be cancer, despite my making clear it wasn't on the testicle but in the scrotal *skin*.

Since mine looks like a sebaceous cyst, I wonder what Retin-A would do to them, since Retin-A treats acne, and acne has to do with sabaceous glands....umm I wonder...

I have Retin-A here, but I don't know whether it'd be a good idea to try small amount on such a cyst after cleaning ?