Headaches from Testosterone

Discuss Headaches from Testosterone at the Men's Health Forum; This is my first post to this forum. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge being shared here and have ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 AM

Unhappy Headaches from Testosterone

This is my first post to this forum. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge being shared here and have a couple question for which I have not been able to find an answer yet.

First, a little background...

I recently started HRT, being a 38 yr old with T levels around 325 and estrogen levels were 39. We suspect that I developed impaired testosterone production as a result of participating in a study during college which utilized an experimental drug called Nal-Glu, which inhibited my LH production.

My doctor started me on patches plus 100 mg DHEA per day and 45 mg zinc. After 5 weeks, I had my labs re-done. T levels were only up to 368 but estrogen spiked to 49.

After about 2 weeks on the patches, I started to develop itchy ratches on my skin. At 5 weeks, I converted to Androgel, but also started reacting to that within several days too.

Nevertheless, we decided to try Test Cypionate injections to see how I reacted.

First shot was 200 mg done in my abdominal fat tissue. My doctor wanted to see how I react to a fat injection vs an IM..

Within a few hours of receiving the shot, I felt fine (no better than normal) but developed a low grade headache. I've now had a low to moderate-high intensity headache for the last couple days since the shot. Other than that, and a bruise and some itchy skin irritation at the injection site, I feel fine.

The headache is similar to a 'caffine headache' or the type of headache one would experience while fasting or detoxifying their body.

A few questions:
  • Are headaches like this a common side effect of taking testosterone?
  • What is the cause of these headaches?
  • Is it common for the headaches to subside once the body adjusts to a higher testosterone level?
  • What are the best ways to treat these headaches? Are there natural remedies available?

Any input from any of the experts on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member

Default Re: Headaches from Testosterone

First of all. I dont know why in the F@#K he would shoot cyp into you fat. Perhaps he is mildly retarded?? Perhaps I dont have all the info. I'LL BET YOU HAD A SLIGHT ITCHING. Not a good idea. You might steer away from him and on to another. Let me guess, he is a Urologist, right??

As far as the redness from the patches. You are probably allergic to whatever crap they add to it to get it into your skin, patch style so to speak. Many people are allergic to that crap. Hell it could just be the glue alone. I get rashes after continued nicotine patch use...
Disclaimer: My thoughts are fictional ramblings only. The pupose of my participation here is to stimulate fuel for thought. EVERYONE should take everything here will a large grain of salt. Use this information for your own furthe reseach ONLY.

The Wopper Popper

Last edited by BBC3; 10-29-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Headaches from HRT

Actually, I think he wanted to start me subcutaneous just to see how I reacted, seeing that I was so sensitive to both the Androderm AND Androgel.

I do have itching, and a pretty good bruise at the injection site though.

Any thoughts on the headaches?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milnerb1 View Post
This is my first post to this forum. I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge being shared here and have a couple question for which I have not been able to find an answer yet.

First, a little background...

I recently started HRT, being a 38 yr old with T levels around 325 and estrogen levels were 39. We suspect that I developed impaired testosterone production as a result of participating in a study during college which utilized an experimental drug called Nal-Glu, which inhibited my LH production.

My doctor started me on patches plus 100 mg DHEA per day and 45 mg zinc. After 5 weeks, I had my labs re-done. T levels were only up to 368 but estrogen spiked to 49.

After about 2 weeks on the patches, I started to develop itchy ratches on my skin. At 5 weeks, I converted to Androgel, but also started reacting to that within several days too.

Nevertheless, we decided to try Test Cypionate injections to see how I reacted.

First shot was 200 mg done in my abdominal fat tissue. My doctor wanted to see how I react to a fat injection vs an IM..

Within a few hours of receiving the shot, I felt fine (no better than normal) but developed a low grade headache. I've now had a low to moderate-high intensity headache for the last couple days since the shot. Other than that, and a bruise and some itchy skin irritation at the injection site, I feel fine.

The headache is similar to a 'caffine headache' or the type of headache one would experience while fasting or detoxifying their body.

A few questions:
  • Are headaches like this a common side effect of taking testosterone?
  • What is the cause of these headaches?
  • Is it common for the headaches to subside once the body adjusts to a higher testosterone level?
  • What are the best ways to treat these headaches? Are there natural remedies available?

Any input from any of the experts on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.
Effect of administration of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) antagonist (Nal-Glu) during the periovulatory period: the luteinizing hormone surge requires secretion of GnRH -- Dubourdieu et al. 78 (2): 343 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology &
Effect of administration of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) antagonist (Nal-Glu) during the periovulatory period: the luteinizing hormone surge requires secretion of GnRH

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
TotalT=325
E2=39
DHT=unknown

First, there is a (small) chance that by suppressing your E2, and adjusting it to about E2~25
will raise your TotalT
With E2+39 all you probably need is 0.5mg/week Liquidex but on frequent schedule, say EOD
use 0.15cc dose every other day, check in 4-6 weeks.

I do subQ injections around navel but I do 0.25cc=50mg per shot
on EOD schedule 50*7/2=175mg/week
Once in a while I will get a lump that last couple days.
After few months of that my belly started (very low level) of itch.
I expanded the area, use glutes, delts and belly.
My thighs do not like subQ, hur few days.
You have to try different locations to see how you will react.
I use smallest and shortest available needle:
http://hocks.com/Merchant2/merchant....Category_Code=
BD Ultrafine II U-100 Insulin Syringe 31 Gauge 3/10cc 5/16inch Short Needle--1/2 Unit Markings 100/b Price: $25.95

I newer have headache, at least when I have it sometimes it is not due to test, (I think).

I suggest better testing, if you cann arrange that.

See my theread, look thru it, 4 pages.
On post $44 there is extensive list that I do once a year.
After insurance cost =$6 (under present President Bush, it will shortly change if wrong guy gets elected).

You may want to pick and choose from that list but the more you know the better chance to figure out where you need help.
Good luck.
.-------------------------------------------------------------
If your DHT is close to upper range or (slightly) higher then you should use injections.
Loww DHT, use transdermals.

Before you start ant T supplementation, figure out your testicles status.
Primary -- need T supplementation.
Secondary, testicles may respond to HCG.
There are cases in between.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:48 PM

I recently started having bad headaches especially when I would strain while lifting weights. I think it might of been my high E2 or my falling E2 after I started Arimidex(I fell from 66 to 36 in one month). Now that I am more leveled out with Arimidex I don't get the headaches.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEE93 View Post
I recently started having bad headaches especially when I would strain while lifting weights. I think it might of been my high E2 or my falling E2 after I started Arimidex(I fell from 66 to 36 in one month). Now that I am more leveled out with Arimidex I don't get the headaches.
That's very interesting. I never considered that my elevated E2 levels could be causing the headaches. Googling on the subject seems to support the idea that elevated E2 can cause headaches.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milnerb1 View Post
That's very interesting. I never considered that my elevated E2 levels could be causing the headaches. Googling on the subject seems to support the idea that elevated E2 can cause headaches.
I know my wife seems to have a lot of headaches. Especially went the subject of sex comes up.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Thank you very much JanSz for the thorough response!

I'm kind-of a 'newbie' to this whole topic so I will ask some clarifying questions:

The reference to Nal-glu is new to me. Do you think it is possible that I've messed up my ability to produce LH from the experimental use of the Nal-glu?

_________

My doctor mentioned that he wanted to try out Test Cyp. shots for a month, including 45 mg zinc per day. Then he would look at my estrogen levels. If still high, he would put me on an aromataze inhibitor (Femara).

Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

He indicated that he didn't think HCG would work for me, feeling that my excess abdominal fat was resulting in lots of conversion of Testosterone to Estrogen. His hope is that, by boosting T levels, I'll be more invigorated for exercise and wil be able to shift my body composition from fat to muscle. I currently weigh 234 and and 5' 6' and need to get down to about 180-190 for optimal weight.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Psychologist; Super Moderator

you may find this informing or just plain silly.

Sexual Health: Your Guide to Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

so for some, adding progesterone or pregnenolone may (hypothetically) relieve the symptoms. This is really shotting form the hip! (I didn't mean that as a pun).
Old 10-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Wink Re: Headaches from Testosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianEE93 View Post
I know my wife seems to have a lot of headaches. Especially went the subject of sex comes up.
Lucky, your's keeps her headdache to herself, mine is a giver (of headaches).