how does TRT affect glucose levels?

Discuss how does TRT affect glucose levels? at the Men's Health Forum; it seems after starting TRT I have developed hypoglycemia of some sort.....had an oral glucose tolerance test done and here ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Default how does TRT affect glucose levels?

it seems after starting TRT I have developed hypoglycemia of some sort.....had an oral glucose tolerance test done and here are the results, the lab retards goofed and didnt measure insulin levels thou...so dont have that....

Range is 65-99 md/dL
Time 1 - Fasting
80 mg/dL
Time 2 - After 30m 75g Glucose Solution
103 mg/dL
Time 3 - After 1hr 75g Glucose Solution
79 mg/dL
Time 4 - After 2hrs 75g Glucose Solution
64 mg/dL

In a previous lab I was suppose to fast but I didnt by mistake, and even the my glucose level was only 63 mg/dL like 1.5hrs after having cereal/milk breakfast, instead of fasting!!!

I feel like crap, if I dont get sugar every 2-3hrs I start to shake and tremble, feel restless, cant concentrate...keep waking up at 4am totally starving to death.....

not sure whats going on, dont think I had this issue before TRT thou...am pretty sure....another out range number thats been rising on me is the IGF-1 after TRT....is now at 521 and range is 106-255 ng/mL......

as usual endo just dismissed it saying just always eat sugar with fats...wtf?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Re: how does TRT affect glucose levels?

It generally improves insulin sensativity. Many diabetics have to lower or adjust their medications after starting TRT.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrj View Post
it seems after starting TRT I have developed hypoglycemia of some sort.....had an oral glucose tolerance test done and here are the results, the lab retards goofed and didnt measure insulin levels thou...so dont have that....

Range is 65-99 md/dL
Time 1 - Fasting
80 mg/dL
Time 2 - After 30m 75g Glucose Solution
103 mg/dL
Time 3 - After 1hr 75g Glucose Solution
79 mg/dL
Time 4 - After 2hrs 75g Glucose Solution
64 mg/dL

In a previous lab I was suppose to fast but I didnt by mistake, and even the my glucose level was only 63 mg/dL like 1.5hrs after having cereal/milk breakfast, instead of fasting!!!

I feel like crap, if I dont get sugar every 2-3hrs I start to shake and tremble, feel restless, cant concentrate...keep waking up at 4am totally starving to death.....

not sure whats going on, dont think I had this issue before TRT thou...am pretty sure....another out range number thats been rising on me is the IGF-1 after TRT....is now at 521 and range is 106-255 ng/mL......

as usual endo just dismissed it saying just always eat sugar with fats...wtf?
Same problem here man. But I had the hypoglycemia setting in even before TRT. On TRT at first it was horrible. Now it comes and goes and really sucks. It's hard to do much of anything in that state. I can't figure out if it is related to cortisol levels or what.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman View Post
Same problem here man. But I had the hypoglycemia setting in even before TRT. On TRT at first it was horrible. Now it comes and goes and really sucks. It's hard to do much of anything in that state. I can't figure out if it is related to cortisol levels or what.
dam that sucks....i was looking for a gleam of hope.....this crap sucks big time....I was always a little low on sugar before TRT but not this bad. I also have low cortisol but endo doesnt think is that bad....am just concerned about the escalating IGF-1 levels since TRT....not sure what to make out of that, I know IGF-1 is not insulin itself but the endo says thats why I have low sugar, yet tells me just to eat less sugary stuff....

does anyone know the reasons for elevating IGF-1 levels whilst on TRT??
Old 12-18-2010, 09:47 AM

It was one of the main reasons I went on TRT. My metabolic syndrome has reversed in just four months, and I have returned into mid range normal blood sugars. There are several large studies listed on the web, most in Europe, but all show improvement in blood sugar control in 80% of the study group. I would love to have a tolerance as good as yours.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing man View Post
It was one of the main reasons I went on TRT. My metabolic syndrome has reversed in just four months, and I have returned into mid range normal blood sugars. There are several large studies listed on the web, most in Europe, but all show improvement in blood sugar control in 80% of the study group. I would love to have a tolerance as good as yours.
Hypoglycemia will ruine your day! Whereas diabetes is more of a silent killer at first, low blood sugar has immediate deleterious effects, including possible death. Furthermore, if it doesn't kill you, a few weeks of constant low blood sugar will make you wish you were dead!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrj View Post
dam that sucks....i was looking for a gleam of hope.....this crap sucks big time....I was always a little low on sugar before TRT but not this bad. I also have low cortisol but endo doesnt think is that bad....am just concerned about the escalating IGF-1 levels since TRT....not sure what to make out of that, I know IGF-1 is not insulin itself but the endo says thats why I have low sugar, yet tells me just to eat less sugary stuff....

does anyone know the reasons for elevating IGF-1 levels whilst on TRT??
Hypoglycemia is a relatively common issue for people with multiple endocrine system dysfunctions. Try to get more data on the low cortisol. They don't call 'em glucocorticoids for nothing!
Old 12-18-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing man View Post
I would love to have a tolerance as good as yours.
like chemman said, low sugar is a biotch man...it hits your brain pretty hard and I have a mentally intensive job, this stuff just kills me....

well speakin of the devil, just got the ZRT cortisol results in mail and sure AM levels are low.....I've been supplementing with Isocort (4 pills in AM and 4 in afternoon) and I guess it shows why the levels rise .....but I cant make out the huge spike in afternoon....I dose the Isocort at 9am and 3pm but still doesnt add up......

I know am secondary adrenal due to pituitary but dam endo wont do anything about it...its a mixed bag out there with hydrocostisone treatment, between good and bad long term....and she wont budge on it.
Marianco advocates an SSRI approach rather than HC which I have read and I am on 10mg Lexapro, and while it takes away some of the agony, it sure as hell doesnt restore energy or mental state

the problem is that I dont show signs of all low cortisol symptoms, like I dont have low blood pressure or weight loss and several others....just fatigue, tiredness which I was more thinking is related to the low glucose.....any ideas? really getting lost in all this crap....frustrating
Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM

forgot to add results from ZRT, here is the link

ZRT-Cort-Results-122010.jpg - 4shared.com - photo sharing - download image
Old 12-18-2010, 11:21 PM

Saliva cortisol results, especially those from the lab you used, are virtually useless. Do a 24-hour urinary free cortisol test. You can buy it at privatemdlabs for about 60 bucks if your doctor refuses.

How did you verify low cortisol before? AM serum cortisol? Combine that with your symptoms and you might need some help with your cprtisol levels. Knowing your medical history would be helpful as well...