How long does a first injection take to work?

Discuss How long does a first injection take to work? at the Men's Health Forum; Originally Posted by Depressed32 I'm a 32 year old male with low testosterone as verified by a blood test. My ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member

Default Re: How long does a first injection take to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depressed32 View Post
I'm a 32 year old male with low testosterone as verified by a blood test. My last blood test showed 166 total testosterone level. The reference range was 250 - 800. My doctor prescribed me testosterone cypionate 100 MG injection. The instructions are to inject 50 MG or 1/2 ML every 2 -4 weeks.

I received my first injection into my hip from the doctor's office last week, 4 days ago, and have not felt any difference and am still quite depressed, although I take anti-depressants on a regular basis as prescribed by a doctor.

I have also tried previously injecting 200 MG testosterone cypionate or 1 ML into my thigh every 3 weeks, and also have felt nothing but depressed. I tried the 200 MG over January, February, and March but gave it up because I didn't feel any better.

My question is thus: am I being prescribed the right medicine in the correct dose? Are there other medicines that would work better for me? I am a bit overweight because of the low testosterone and have very little energy, low libido, and general depression. I have hypogonadism. I have tried Androgel, Androderm, and Testim, but these did not seem to work for me either. Any constructive feedback is welcome.
Your doctor is stupid.

Start at 100 mg per week and then titrate up/down if that dosage doesn't work for you. It likely will. 50 mg every 2 weeks is ridiculous, that is probably keeping your levels close to the 150 you started at.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmanguy84 View Post
How long does it take for a first injection to work? What is the longest reasonable time?

My doctor wanted to give me a shot to confirm that my T is low (I've tested anywhere
from 330 to 460 with normal lab ranges of 400-1080). He said if my
testosterone was truly low, I'd notice a difference within a day or
two of getting the shot. It's been almost 48 hours now and I don't
feel anything yet. The does was 200 mg/ml to the butt. I'm 23 and 170 lbs.

How long does it really take? I'm nervous that nothing will happen. I
see the doctor again on Wednesday.

I forgot to add - my symptoms are low libido, fatigue, headaches, low
appetite and erectile dysfunction. I'm especially interested in the
libido and erectile part because it's the most obvious. Whatever it is seems to be getting worse over time.

I'd also like to ask about a weird rush I got when the nurse gave me the shot. I wasn't expecting to feel anything but I had this thing rush to my head. Maybe I was just nervous from having a needle squirting into me so long, or the awkwardness of standing there with my pants halfway down like that. I'm not really concerned about it but I was wondering if anyone else has ever had that. The nurse said she'd never seen it before. I've certainly never felt anything quite like it before.

--John
I had my first shot five weeks ago, and I have been told the better mood, and sex drive might have been in my head, but I was feeling better within three days, and after the 2nd shot at two week later I was wired to play within a day. My T levels was 260, and I get 1 cc of 250 Mg T injected every two weeks. I have my next labs next month.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmanguy84 View Post
How long does it take for a first injection to work? What is the longest reasonable time?

I forgot to add - my symptoms are low libido, fatigue, headaches, low
appetite and erectile dysfunction. I'm especially interested in the
libido and erectile part because it's the most obvious. Whatever it is seems to be getting worse over time.

--John
I just reread your post. I saw a difference in my libido within the first week, and have not had any ED issues from at least the end of that first week. I would be afraid to take the little blue pill now as I think I would be one of those four hour erection guys now. I think it takes at least a week to kick in, and at five weeks I feel like I did at 18.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Is an injection in the thigh muscle as effective as an injection in the hip muscle?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Is an injection in the thigh muscle as effective as an injection in the hip muscle?
I asked my doctor, he said the butt was better, and it would avoid the formation of cellulite or scar tissue. I find the butt is almost painless and think the thigh might have more nerves.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post
blood levels from a shot of testosterone cypionate peak within two days of the injection and then gradually fall from there
I think you are right, I notice the effects and feel great a few days after the shot, I notice is tapers off over the two weeks before I get my next shot. I was told by some here it was in my head on day two and three, but I don’t think the little head would react so well unless the T CYP had already kicked in big time.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 PM

I tried giving myself the injection in the left glute, or hip muscle. I'm not very accomplished at this and had to resort to giving the injection in my left thigh muscle. I am able to draw up the syringe with enough Testosterone Cypionate, however, giving myself the injection in the hip is near impossible. Any suggestions? Would maybe seeing an endocrinologist be a move in the right direction? I do not think my doctor will prescibe more than 50 MG of the Testosterone Cypionate to me at one time. I will have to ask him if he will prescibe more. Since I did not have any energy or notice any differences after my first injection at his office, I was losing some hope.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I tried giving myself the injection in the left glute, or hip muscle. I'm not very accomplished at this and had to resort to giving the injection in my left thigh muscle. I am able to draw up the syringe with enough Testosterone Cypionate, however, giving myself the injection in the hip is near impossible. Any suggestions? Would maybe seeing an endocrinologist be a move in the right direction? I do not think my doctor will prescibe more than 50 MG of the Testosterone Cypionate to me at one time. I will have to ask him if he will prescibe more. Since I did not have any energy or notice any differences after my first injection at his office, I was losing some hope.
Depressed, like you, I had many of the same symptoms for years, and shrugged them off as effects of aging. Although depressed, I shook it off as well as I could and made it through every day as well as I could. My wife was begining to grow resentful, as we would have sex maybe once a month, and we were trying to have a child. Not a great recipe for success. While seeing one of the top reproductive endocrinologists in the area, he had us both tested to hell and back, and I had a T level of 100 (300-900). I'm 37. I got fat, where in my late 20's I was muscular and athletic.
Immediately he put me on weekly doses of Testosterone Enanthate (200mg), at 1CC a week. It took me 2 months to begin to feel a change. But when it hit, damn it hit. My wife is now running from me as I could go 2-3 times a day, my energy is back up, my thought process is no longer cloudy, I feel just plain happier, and although I put on 20 lbs of muscle, my waist has decreased 4 sizes. The only side effect I have suffered is acne on my back and arms. Although ugly, super tolerable in respect to what I have gained back.
The point is hang in there. For me it took 2 months to notice a slight change, then after that, it just kept coming back. I also take HCG (.5 CC twice a week) which stimulates testosterone production in the interstitial cells of the gonads, so as to keep my sperm count up. It's not a race, it's a marathon, and the results can be spectacular. If your Dr. will not give you a higher dosage or potency, I suggest a switch to someone that may actually try and help you. That's what you pay them for. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Oh, and inject in the glute. It is painless and easy once you get used to the correct spots. If you can't reach, grab a buddy or a family member to help. Show them where and how, and anyone should be able to do it. Good luck again!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate your response! I will see if I can get my Dad to inject me and also try the Testosterone Cypionate for a minimum of at least 2 months. It is reassurring to hear from your own experience.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:46 PM

I'm 43 and last april i went to my doctor wanting to have my testosterone levels checked so he checked them and i was at 325. He put me on androgel 3 pumps and had me checked again in 3 months but i didnt get the results and he had me increase to 4 pumps. 3 months later, last september i was tested again this time i got the results, the nurse said my level was 190 and increased me to 5 pumps. I made an appointment to see my doctor seen him yesterday and he said that my lower levels werent logical, he said androgel wasnt working for me and that he was giving me injections instead. I went in today for 200 cc into each hip for a total of 400 cc and he said he wanted me back in a month to test me and see if my levels jumped up and then most likely he would have me inject with 200 cc from that point on depending on my level. I had the initial rush for about 15 minutes and then nothing. When i got home i laid down and took a nap expecting something to happen but nothing has. Reading the previous posts im assuming that a couple of months is the norm for feeling anything, but i would like more opinions on this if any one has any. I would also like to know if 200 cc is a good amount to get levels steady and if the 400 cc is a fair amount to get them elevated. I would also like to know about DHT and estrogen concerns. I read in a few other forums where guys taking a TRT were also taking T Bomb to help keep those worries away. Is this a good or bad idea? My doctor said that men need estrogen and i dont think that at my levels i need to be concerned but i would still like to know your opinions on the matter.

I should mention that im 6'4" and weigh around 245 im not in shape but not out of shape either. This is for low T and you guys seem to know as much as doctors in SOME cases so i appreciate your opinions. Thank you!

Last edited by buzz_cut; 10-29-2010 at 02:59 PM.