How can you tell if DHT levels too high?

Discuss How can you tell if DHT levels too high? at the Men's Health Forum; Between blood tests, are there any symptoms of DHT being too high? Perhaps libido too strong? Wouldn't DHT only improve ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 11:17 PM

Default How can you tell if DHT levels too high?

Between blood tests, are there any symptoms of DHT being too high? Perhaps libido too strong? Wouldn't DHT only improve the way you feel? Any downsides besides the major ones of hair loss and prostate issues?

Is Saw Palmetto standard practice for those supplementing with Testosterone? At the standard dose?
Old 06-21-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: How can you tell if DHT levels too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowzer
Between blood tests, are there any symptoms of DHT being too high? Perhaps libido too strong? Wouldn't DHT only improve the way you feel? Any downsides besides the major ones of hair loss and prostate issues?

Is Saw Palmetto standard practice for those supplementing with Testosterone? At the standard dose?
I'm not an expert but this is what I understand:

1. I'm unaware of any negative psychological effects from too-high DHT. It obviously makes one horny.
2. Saw palmetto can lower DHT in your prostate, but not to a significant degree if your levels are high. However, saw palmetto will NOT lower the DHT on your scalp, so you'll go bald quicker if you have male-pattern baldness, saw palmetto or not.
3. Some docs recommend a DHT blocker like propecia to counteract the high DHT produced from gels/creams. Most on this board are strenuously against that because there seems to be a lot of people who have had real problems with these blockers.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 AM

what about provirion?.
I know its mainly used to help with estrogen levels but does it not help with dht also.?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockmuscle
what about provirion?.
I know its mainly used to help with estrogen levels but does it not help with dht also.?
If you're trying to increase DHT, then proviron might work. But if you're trying to decrease DHT, proviron is not the way to go
Old 06-21-2007, 02:42 PM

I have made a few changes lately, but my libido is like it NEVER has been. I'm 50 and my wife and I are both amazed. I'm trying to understand it. 200 mg Test per week (just two weeks on latest start-up) which is nothing new but am doing 400 IU HCG twice a week and .5 Arimidex twice a week. I have had some overlap before with nothing out of the ordinary in way of libido.
I began taking acetyl L-carnitine and suspect this may be the cause. Has anyone ever heard of this having a profound libido impact?
I'm thinking I need to get my hormones checked to see what level they are and if something has caused my DHT to skyrocket. Will very high DHT invariably cause very strong libido?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yowzer
I have made a few changes lately, but my libido is like it NEVER has been. I'm 50 and my wife and I are both amazed. I'm trying to understand it. 200 mg Test per week (just two weeks on latest start-up) which is nothing new but am doing 400 IU HCG twice a week and .5 Arimidex twice a week. I have had some overlap before with nothing out of the ordinary in way of libido.
I began taking acetyl L-carnitine and suspect this may be the cause. Has anyone ever heard of this having a profound libido impact?
I'm thinking I need to get my hormones checked to see what level they are and if something has caused my DHT to skyrocket. Will very high DHT invariably cause very strong libido?
Acetyl Carnitine is proven to improve erections. Just google it and you will see.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

I dont know for sure either but wouldnt be surprised if it did. Wasnt aware of the libido effect of taking acetyl L-carnitine . What doseage are you taking ? Ill give ita try. The body can convert T into DHT and viseversa.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 PM

Jarrow's formula acetyl l-carotine, 500 mg/capsule. I've been taking two in AM and two in afternoon. Supposed to be not with meal.
One possibility. This is the first time I've started the HCG when starting the Test cyp. I read that test seems to have the largest effect when it is increasing. A happy puzzle unless its just my DHT through the roof with the inevitable hair loss.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 PM

I've just gotta say one thing: "Libido too strong"?!? I would kill for a libido I can't control!