If LH stimulates testicles, then what does FSH do?

Discuss If LH stimulates testicles, then what does FSH do? at the Men's Health Forum; Just wouldl ike some explaination as to the functions of LH and particularly FSH on the male body....

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Default If LH stimulates testicles, then what does FSH do?

Just wouldl ike some explaination as to the functions of LH and particularly FSH on the male body.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Default Re: If LH stimulates testicles, then what does FSH do?

Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) is a hormone synthesized and secreted by gonadotropes in the anterior pituitary gland. FSH regulates the development, growth, pubertal maturation, and reproductive processes of the human body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follicl...lating_hormone
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2009, 04:29 PM

To stimulate testosterone production, the hypothalamus releases a substance to the pituitary gland called gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH). This hormone, in turn, causes the gland to produce two other hormones, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH), collectively known as gonadotropins.

LH is released into the bloodstream where it travels to the Leydig cells in the testes and stimulates testosterone biosynthesis from cholesterol. LH follows the pulsatile secretion profile of GnRH very closely, whereas FSH does not display such clear pulsatility owing to its longer half-life.

Testosterone exerts a direct, and after metabolism to estrogens an indirect, negative feedback effect on the secretion of GnRH and gonadotropins. Accordingly, plasma LH and FSH levels decrease after testosterone or estradiol administration and rise when negative feedback is disrupted by castration.

There are both similarities and differences in how FSH secretion is regulated when compared to LH. FSH binds to receptors in the Sertoli cells and promotes spermatogenesis. In addition to a number of other proteins, the hormones inhibin and activin are formed in the Sertoli cells under the influence of FSH. Inhibin is an important component in the feedback system controlling FSH secretion.

The role of FSH in spermatogenesis is, however, a matter for controversy. The classical view was that FSH stimulates spermatogenesis and that LH stimulated testosterone production. However, spermatogenesis is qualitatively maintained by testosterone alone in hypophysectomised rats or in rats immunized against GnRH. More recently, men with an inactivating mutation of the FSH receptor gene were identified in Finland. The testes of the five homozygous men were reduced in size and the sperm count and/or motility was reduced but two men were fertile implying that FSH is not essential for male fertility. On the other hand, spermatogenesis is not quantitatively normal in these models and FSH acts synergistically with testosterone in rodents or with hCG (LH) in men implying a role for FSH receptor activation in spermatogenesis.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

WOW..... Strong answers. I guess my next question would be how do we simulate the FSH, like HCG does for LH?? Also, Britman, are you saying that HCG therapy while on cycle is not keeping me fertile since there is no FSH getting to the boys. Or perhaps I am incorrect and HCG simulates both. But I didn't think so.....?
Disclaimer: My thoughts are fictional ramblings only. The pupose of my participation here is to stimulate fuel for thought. EVERYONE should take everything here will a large grain of salt. Use this information for your own furthe reseach ONLY.

The Wopper Popper
Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 AM

BBC3

hCG does appear to have a small degree of FSH activity as well in that the LH analogue can maintain germ cell development and maturation on it's own. Sperm count and fertility are increased as a result of such therapy. However, hMG (FSH analogue) may be required for quantitatively normal sperm counts - in practice this can be done for a relatively short period of time when one is trying to get their partner pregnant.

Of course all this assumes that one has full reproductive capabilities in the first place in the presence of gonadotropins.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks