Low Thyroid = Erection Problems

Discuss Low Thyroid = Erection Problems at the Men's Health Forum; I have spent most of this evening doing research on this subject. Over the past few weeks this has been ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Low Thyroid = Erection Problems

I have spent most of this evening doing research on this subject. Over the past few weeks this has been on my mind allot, it would seem allot of cases could be explained by this (everything from primary hypogonadism, propscar/propecia usuage, anabolic steriod abuse, etc). Low libido/sexual desire, ED, PE and delayed ejaculation are all linked with low thyoird hormones.

When one get's low thyroid hormones the offset of this is over-stressed adrenals, sometimes resulting in adrenal fatigue.

I thought back to when i was a very young child (maybe 5+) and recall getting super hard erections that could cut through glass! At the age you haven't really developed at all, your testicles are still small and you aren't pumping out T like nobodys business. However you are still getting hard wood, so surely T/E2 isn't all to blame here?

The more i thought about the more it made sense. Estridol and Thyroid hormone fight for the same receptor sites/cells, so why do you men with high E2 get ED and other problems? Why are products like derma working so well for some guy's here? The answer could be as simple as freeing up E2 (by lowering it) which is resulting in thyroid hormoene getting a chance todo it's job properly. Esso for example described getting "larger balls" and better "hang" from his penis, which would make sense since thyroid improves circulation. Both of which help with erections.

Some websites worth visiting:

http://www.boomersmakingadifference....d_problem.html
http://sciencedaily.healthology.com/...rticle3876.htm

I thought it would be worth posting this quote:

"Once the men with hyperthyroidism were treated, almost all saw their symptoms of erectile dysfunction disappear."
Old 07-06-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Low Thyroid = Erection Problems

because when your young eveything in your body is in perfect balance,

there is a strong Neurotransmittere center a long with perfectly balanced hormones, but certainly enough testosterone to produce a strong erection.

an erection requires a lot more than just testosterone it needs the powerful neurotransmiiters like serotonin, choline, dopamine, gaba..

as you age and abuse your body , drugs, poor diet, whatever the case may be, your

neurotransmitters // hormones become slowly out of balance overtime, eventually leaving most men with bad ED by the time there 50, but yet you should be able to maintain sexual vigor until your 100 years old.

testosterone, dht, dhea, neurotranmitters must all be rebalanced if you want to get those solid erections back.
i believe once your balance like thyroid, TT, E2, the nuerotransmitters should naturally rebalance

thyroid is can create a major imbalance of each of these,

Last edited by engival; 07-06-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2007, 03:21 AM

Yeah i didn't like the look of my thyroid lab results but my endo and sports doc didn't see a problem.

I'm seeing a new guy who is more marianco-like so hopefully he'll be of more help. Appointment isn't for a couple of months yet though
Old 07-07-2007, 10:19 AM

my ed and PE are dam bad, i also got low T with hashimotos
Old 07-07-2007, 02:38 PM

This is a very interesting thread, please let's keep this one alive.

Engival, would you be so kind as to tell more about your case and what you have done to make it better--I do not know whether you're still struggling or have made strides in the resolution of your symptoms.

The thyroid link Megazoid is definately relevant, maybe not to all, but certainly for a large part of us, given the link between E2 and thyroid receptor cell competitive binding.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:50 PM

well i think my thyroid is still the major issue, my last test showed me about 2.66, and im still at 1.5 grains, also 2 weeks ago i started 15mg 3x weekly of clomiphene, and daily useage of seleginine slowgell .5mg...

i think subtle more energy, possibly more libido... other than that i have the erection strength of a 105 year old
Old 07-08-2007, 02:46 AM

I am pretty happy i posted this thread now, i feel we could all learn something from this and getting each persons personal experiences is great for helping us all move forward. It would make sense that freeing up the receptors so thyroid hormone can work would increase blood flow and general circulation. Improving circulation would probably apply to the brain also?

engival, you might need cortisol replacement when doing this combo. You are still on a pretty low dosage of armour too so give it sometime. I am sure you will see improvements.

Anyone else got experiences?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:47 AM

When i had great libido and perfect erections (When i wanted them - on demand) my TSH was 0.65 so i am reckoning anything below 1.0 is good.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:06 AM

How does cortisone and Thyroid treatment complement each other? Is it because when you add thryoid meds, your adrenals have to work harder?

Megazoid, what was you thyroid at before you started treatment for it and when your problems started?

Mine got up to 3.8 ref (0.40 - 4.00), then I was put on a natural thyroid supplement which bought it back to 2.6. Now i am on thyroid extract and i dont know yet what my numbers are. The doc said he will probably doubel my dose in a few weeks anyway.

Is there a doctor that backs up that below 1 is good? Just so i can tell my doc if he doesnt believe me.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:59 AM

Free T3 and Free T4 is a much more important indication of your Thryoid's state. TSH has a simliar function as LH (but for your thyroid)... therefore only looking at TSH would be like trying to determine your testosterone level/state by only measuring LH.

A high TSH generally indicates that there is not enough throid hormones, so the brain is signalling for more, however you can still be hypothyroid with a TSH lower than 1 - similar to a secondary hypogondism state, where the brain does not determine thyroid is too low & raise TSH signal for more thyroid.