Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

Discuss Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN? at the Men's Health Forum; OK, you guys on here who know me are aware that I'm a little bit of a hypochondriac. Especially where ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum


Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 PM
jonkobeck's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 652
Default Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

OK, you guys on here who know me are aware that I'm a little bit of a hypochondriac. Especially where my liver is concerned. I read somewhere that distended abdominal veins are a sign of portal hypertension caused by cirrhosis. So I have been examining my abdomen and flanks. If I look closely enough I can see the veins running from my ribs down to my waist line on each flank, more on the right. Its not easy to see, you have to look hard, but they are there. I also just found what looks like a crease when I twist a certain way, a twist in the flesh over the side of my ribs makes a crease. The crease is actually a vein. Im not sure if this is what they mean by "distended" veins.
There are shades of blue here and there on my abdomen, I assume thats veins under causing the shades.
I am doing a Paleo diet for the last 3 weeks an dI notice they are getting worse on this diet. Im a little freaking out that I may have a liver problem. Liver enzymes are all normal.
Ultrasound one year ago showed mild fatty liver.
The veins are also worse after I work out or after shot shower.

I am going to post some pics, but don't laugh at my flabby body please
Notice my gyno in one breast? I had that since I was 10 years old

Do any of you have visible veins on the flanks and abdomen?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (1 of 14).jpg (183.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg (2 of 14).jpg (162.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg (3 of 14).jpg (157.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg (4 of 14).jpg (178.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg (5 of 14).jpg (150.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg (6 of 14).jpg (141.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg (7 of 14).jpg (149.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg (8 of 14).jpg (133.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg (9 of 14).jpg (164.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg (10 of 14).jpg (194.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg (11 of 14).jpg (153.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg (12 of 14).jpg (154.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg (13 of 14).jpg (150.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg (14 of 14).jpg (197.6 KB, 13 views)
__________________
Im an egomaniac with low self esteem

Last edited by jonkobeck; 01-16-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 PM
jonkobeck's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 652
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

In looking at the above images, I just want to add that there are a lot of stretch marks, and those are not really what I'm referring to. I pointed to a couple of the veins in the photos, and in others its just a blueish area on the skin, very hard to really see them unless I step out of a hot shower. Its even harder to see in photographs. There are a few broken capillaries under the ribs too, and Im not referring to those either. I have had them for years. My parents both had bad varicose veins
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 01-17-2012, 05:29 PM
jonkobeck's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 652
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

C'mon Guys! No one has any opinions? Im just curious if Im the only one who can see veins on the sides of his abdomen, and if this is normal or not. Is this what they mean by "bulging" in relation to portal hypertension?
this morning I found a long vein what was very hard to photograph, running from my ribs on the right side all the way down my abdomen, when I twist a certain way and push on it with my hands I am actually able to make it "pop" out and bulge.
Im just a little nervous right now. with this Paleo diet I am seeing more and more veins.
Time to go back on Lexapro
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 98
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkobeck View Post
C'mon Guys! No one has any opinions? Im just curious if Im the only one who can see veins on the sides of his abdomen, and if this is normal or not. Is this what they mean by "bulging" in relation to portal hypertension?
this morning I found a long vein what was very hard to photograph, running from my ribs on the right side all the way down my abdomen, when I twist a certain way and push on it with my hands I am actually able to make it "pop" out and bulge.
Im just a little nervous right now. with this Paleo diet I am seeing more and more veins.
Time to go back on Lexapro
...this (^)...hebs

ps...yes, veins and/or increased vascularity is normal --> especially when you're losing weight
jonkobeck likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,884
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

Stop worrying about illness. Stop fearing death. Enjoy your life.
jonkobeck likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 19
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkobeck View Post
C'mon Guys! No one has any opinions? Im just curious if Im the only one who can see veins on the sides of his abdomen, and if this is normal or not. Is this what they mean by "bulging" in relation to portal hypertension?
this morning I found a long vein what was very hard to photograph, running from my ribs on the right side all the way down my abdomen, when I twist a certain way and push on it with my hands I am actually able to make it "pop" out and bulge.
Im just a little nervous right now. with this Paleo diet I am seeing more and more veins.
Time to go back on Lexapro
Oh god man just NO. Veins across your rib cage and lower abdomen are totally normal, their are literally hundreds of thousands of miles of blood vessels running through the average human body, you can bet there's gonna be vein or artery or capillary just about anywhere you look, poke, or prod.

Listen here though, and I apologize in advance if I come off as a dick; that's not my intention. You claim to be a hypochondriac, yet you allow your body to look like that? Aestheics don't necessarily equate to good health, but I'll tell you man while you're overreacting now, if you let your body stay in the hideous state it's in, one day something really will go wrong. Antidepressants are good for little more than anorgasmia and a limp dick; they are NOT the answer. I'm not surprised you worry about your health to be honest, you look like you're one step away from a heart attack. Why mask the source of the anxiety with awful SSRIs when you can remove the source all together? There's no point in worrying about your health if you aren't willing to do something about it.

Again I know nothing about you so I apologize if you have a severely debilitating health issue that's caused all this. Otherwise, I truly urge you to take better care of your body, it's the only one you've got. It's never too late to do something about it, you're never too far gone.
jonkobeck likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2012, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,917
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

think you might be mistaken veins for ripples or creases of fat. You appear to be one inflammed indiviudal and probably severely toxic.
__________________
I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 AM
jonkobeck's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 652
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardasnails1973 View Post
think you might be mistaken veins for ripples or creases of fat. You appear to be one inflammed indiviudal and probably severely toxic.
I know what you mean about the ripples of fat. There is one ripple thats a vein though, if I twist a certain way I can see the blue line. But I guess its normal.

Tell me what you mean by inflamed and toxic though? Seriously. You mean by being overweight and out of shape?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
jonkobeck's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 652
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainf View Post
Oh god man just NO. Veins across your rib cage and lower abdomen are totally normal, their are literally hundreds of thousands of miles of blood vessels running through the average human body, you can bet there's gonna be vein or artery or capillary just about anywhere you look, poke, or prod.

Listen here though, and I apologize in advance if I come off as a dick; that's not my intention. You claim to be a hypochondriac, yet you allow your body to look like that? Aestheics don't necessarily equate to good health, but I'll tell you man while you're overreacting now, if you let your body stay in the hideous state it's in, one day something really will go wrong. Antidepressants are good for little more than anorgasmia and a limp dick; they are NOT the answer. I'm not surprised you worry about your health to be honest, you look like you're one step away from a heart attack. Why mask the source of the anxiety with awful SSRIs when you can remove the source all together? There's no point in worrying about your health if you aren't willing to do something about it.

Again I know nothing about you so I apologize if you have a severely debilitating health issue that's caused all this. Otherwise, I truly urge you to take better care of your body, it's the only one you've got. It's never too late to do something about it, you're never too far gone.

YOU think I look out of shape here, I just lost 25 pounds, you should have seen me a month ago lol.
Well, I have always been overweight and I have had low T for most of my life, only recently I began T replacement. I have been on the paleo diet for almost a month now and started working out. At 47 I'm not expecting miracles but I would like to drop another 20 pounds. This morning on the scale I was 222 last month I was 245 so I'm getting there
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,917
Default Re: Is It Normal to have VISIBLE VEINS on ABDOMEN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkobeck View Post
I know what you mean about the ripples of fat. There is one ripple thats a vein though, if I twist a certain way I can see the blue line. But I guess its normal.

Tell me what you mean by inflamed and toxic though? Seriously. You mean by being overweight and out of shape?
Inflammation causes weight gain.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.