Pain in upper right side of abdomen after alcohol

Discuss Pain in upper right side of abdomen after alcohol at the Men's Health Forum; Hey guys i need your help since doctors so far are useless! Almost every time after i drink alcohol (8-15 ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 PM

Default Pain in upper right side of abdomen after alcohol

Hey guys i need your help since doctors so far are useless!
Almost every time after i drink alcohol (8-15 drinks a night is my range) i wake up with a dull discomfort/pain just under my right ribs but abit more to the centre. It only hurts when i lie on my side or when i sit slouched / try breathe in deep it sorta stops the breathe at the end.

Ive had this since about february 2010. I stop drinking Mid June till Mid August and now it hurts again. Ive had an ultrasound done and they told me I have "mild diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver" But my doctor told me not to worry bout that, just lose abit of weight and cleaner diet..which i already have a good clean diet.(im not even fat, im bout 15% bf and weigh like 82kg 1m80cm)

so he tells me not to worry bout it, to try not to drink too much but if it hurtsagain come back in. SO i went in and he asked me to go for a CT scan. i went and did it and again...nothing picked up, all normal...liver, pancrease, spleen etc. they found nothing wrong.

Now there telling me to go into hospital to get a camera stuck dwn my throat to check it out in there :/ i duno if i want to do this because so far they hvnt been able to tell me anything thru there scans n ultrasounds.

Is the sorta pain/discomfort im feeling caused by fatty liver commonly? or is this something different?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Default Re: Pain in upper right side of abdomen after alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeCuz View Post
Hey guys i need your help since doctors so far are useless!
Almost every time after i drink alcohol (8-15 drinks a night is my range) i wake up with a dull discomfort/pain just under my right ribs but abit more to the centre. It only hurts when i lie on my side or when i sit slouched / try breathe in deep it sorta stops the breathe at the end.

Ive had this since about february 2010. I stop drinking Mid June till Mid August and now it hurts again. Ive had an ultrasound done and they told me I have "mild diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver" But my doctor told me not to worry bout that, just lose abit of weight and cleaner diet..which i already have a good clean diet.(im not even fat, im bout 15% bf and weigh like 82kg 1m80cm)

so he tells me not to worry bout it, to try not to drink too much but if it hurtsagain come back in. SO i went in and he asked me to go for a CT scan. i went and did it and again...nothing picked up, all normal...liver, pancrease, spleen etc. they found nothing wrong.

Now there telling me to go into hospital to get a camera stuck dwn my throat to check it out in there :/ i duno if i want to do this because so far they hvnt been able to tell me anything thru there scans n ultrasounds.

Is the sorta pain/discomfort im feeling caused by fatty liver commonly? or is this something different?
For awhile I was getting a persistant flank pain that seemingly got worse when I drank. It persisted for about a year and kind of ebbed and flowed. When I was lifting heavily I noticed it the most (I also poked and prodded it a lot and it got worse when I did that.) I didn't really connect the dots until I stopped lifting during the rugby season and it went away completely. Turns out it was just a strained muscle. I think out drinking I am usually standing up, walking around, leaning, using that muscle and making it worse.

Long story short it may be muscoloskeletal and not have any serious cause. Regardless, if you have a fatty liver I would stop drinking 15 drinks in a row! Yeah, I used to be there too, slamming 20+ beers in a night, but it's not smart dude!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbieBlue View Post
For awhile I was getting a persistant flank pain that seemingly got worse when I drank. It persisted for about a year and kind of ebbed and flowed. When I was lifting heavily I noticed it the most (I also poked and prodded it a lot and it got worse when I did that.) I didn't really connect the dots until I stopped lifting during the rugby season and it went away completely. Turns out it was just a strained muscle. I think out drinking I am usually standing up, walking around, leaning, using that muscle and making it worse.

Long story short it may be muscoloskeletal and not have any serious cause. Regardless, if you have a fatty liver I would stop drinking 15 drinks in a row! Yeah, I used to be there too, slamming 20+ beers in a night, but it's not smart dude!
it could be, ive thought of that but uhh, it doesnt hurt when i do heavy squats, deadlifts or any lifts. doesnt hurt when i do abs :/ but when i drink i am standing and get abit crazy on the dancefloor
I kno its not smart and i dont plan to do it until i find out the real reason for this :/
Anotehr reason im pretty sure it isnt muscular issue is because when i have it and i push on the place it doesnt really hurt :/
Old 08-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
it could be, ive thought of that but uhh, it doesnt hurt when i do heavy squats, deadlifts or any lifts. doesnt hurt when i do abs :/ but when i drink i am standing and get abit crazy on the dancefloor
I kno its not smart and i dont plan to do it until i find out the real reason for this :/
Anotehr reason im pretty sure it isnt muscular issue is because when i have it and i push on the place it doesnt really hurt :/
That's the thing - mine NEVER hurt during any exercise at all. I couldn't recreate it by DOING anything specific, but once I stopped - it went away.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubbieBlue View Post
That's the thing - mine NEVER hurt during any exercise at all. I couldn't recreate it by DOING anything specific, but once I stopped - it went away.
mmm but when im not drinking, and during day to day things i have no pain..alls sweet. its only day after i drink, and sometimes stays for 2-3 days and gets better by the day :/
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

UPPER RIGHT SIDE, would be your LIVER. It doesn't like alcohol all that much.. The whole idea of drinking is to overwhelm it. FYI, all livers are not created equal. You need some basic bloodwork. Anything 20-30 points too high on ALT, etc... is an indication that you need to never drink again. Even at my best I could never blow my stats beyond 10 points off the high side...
Disclaimer: My thoughts are fictional ramblings only. The pupose of my participation here is to stimulate fuel for thought. EVERYONE should take everything here will a large grain of salt. Use this information for your own furthe reseach ONLY.

The Wopper Popper
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 PM

ive done blood work, i was only higher by <10... ive also done CT scans and an ultrasound. only thing with my liver is mild fatty liver :/

but the doctors r tellin me that CT scan came back all good...so they are thinking its something with my stomach now and want to do an endoscopy =[
Old 11-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Hi, I have exactly the same. Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Old 11-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

I am not totally sure liver counts would account for all possible alcohol liver conditions.... MANY PEOPLE HAVE HIGH COUNTS AND DONT DRINK or take drugs that would explain it...

Funny. I thought this was a new thread. In my previous response, it was not a concern for me. I kind of blew your notion off sideways as I just had no experience. SINCE, I have started having the same.!!!!????!!! It take both lortab as well as plenty of alcohol when I am getting my game on.. WHAT I HAVE NOTICED NOW IS THIS...: It I have too much of the both or either, I can experience liver pains the next day, and once recently for two days. My counts are around 100 on the ones that should be around 40 or 60, The doc (a friend) has advised me that the issue is not serious yet most likely as I am just beginning to have pain. But he thinks minimal. HOWEVER, he has advised to lay off for a week-10 days and come in for bloodz... I still cant do it completely.

I will tell you this. What got my attention is one day around noon I chugged down an Old Rasputin beer, which is about 9% ABV. I was just drinking one to alleviate stress. About 30mins later, I had those pains. Shit my pants. That was quik!! For about the next month I felt it the next day, or same day, if just taking a tab or two, or a beer or three. Lately I have not had it (for about a month now). I did go to work for that month and ate less, but started drinking heavily toward the end. And still hitting the drinks and tabs hard - at full force really. But no pain. So I dont know but not good.

I researched a bit and determined there are 3 stages here.:
(1) Liver inflammation related. Pehaps even a swelling of some type baggie surrounding it.
(2) Fatty liver, which appears reversible with abstinence, proper, diet and exercise (think I am there)
(3) Serrosis (or however you spell it). Like Lou Gerrig (again). THis one apparently is not reversible as some kind of scarring or something is occurring.

I have always taken the liver lightly, cause I heard some bullshit when I was younger about it being the ONLY ORGAN in the human body that can regenerate its self. Even grow back if partial is removed. dont know if true or not. BUT I HAVE THE FEELING that the type damage we are doing renders a condition that does not "grow back". So I am working on backing down.

The final key to my success will be restarting a workout reginmen, which I am walking out the door to do right now..... $350.00 up front get two years of high ceilings, large area, tons of equip, town's hottest pussy, nice lighting, and a feeling of guilt to make me return... LOL

Could you even tell I have a Beuooouuz on?? LOL

Quote:
ive done blood work, i was only higher by <10... ive also done CT scans and an ultrasound. only thing with my liver is mild fatty liver :/

but the doctors r tellin me that CT scan came back all good...so they are thinking its something with my stomach now and want to do an endoscopy =[
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

I think you have the beginnings of alcoholic liver but its not your current problem.
If it doest show up on imaging the it must be transient in nature. Ever had it imaged when it was symptomatic?