Question about iodized salt...good or bad?

Discuss Question about iodized salt...good or bad? at the Men's Health Forum; Since my thyroid recently came back borderline for the first time ever, Ive started reading up on thyroid a little. ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 AM

Question Question about iodized salt...good or bad?

Since my thyroid recently came back borderline for the first time ever, Ive started reading up on thyroid a little. I also had a conversation about it with my Dad, who mentioned to me he could remember in the forties and fifties, "iodine deficiency" was declared a public health disaster in the USA. The result were federal laws that required that ALL salt be iodized. This helped a lot of people with goiter problems...according to my Dad, it wasn't too awful uncommon to see people with goiters in the thirties, forties, fifties and even sixties.

However, in recent decade or so, they've made it so not all salt is iodized. I have been reading that most salt used in restaurants is bought in bulk and is not iodized. Also, the popularity of natural "sea salt" is strong, especially in better restaurants.

Combine this with the message doctors pound into people's heads to "cut back on sodium" to control their blood pressure. And it really makes me wonder if people are getting enough iodine in their diet these days.

Since I developed hypertension in 2001, I stopped salting all my food. My sodium is now low normal, literally right on the cutoff mark for normal. I wonder if I am getting enough iodine and wonder if that is contributing to my borderline low thyroid scores recently.

My Dad and I had an intense discussion about it...he thinks its one of the dumbest things they ever did to make it where they can sell food salt thats not iodized. On the other hand, in my own research, I see some "experts" claim that iodized salt actually causes thyroid problems...people getting too much iodine or something.

Bottom line is, before iodized salt became a legally mandated issue, unless you lived at the coast and ate a lot of fish (contains a lot of iodine), goiters and thyroid problems were very common. And they couldn't do shit to combat it back then, cause they didn't have good blood tests or thyroid meds.

Now, they have good tests (compared to back then) and good medications. I wonder if some of the impetus for not requiring all food salt to be iodized came from the drug companies that make Synthroid? I mean, the drug companies lobby hard behind the scenes...they have a lot of money and are very powerful as a result. I dont trust the drug companies for shit...I wouldnt put it past them to lobby like that. "Take iodine out of the American diet as much as possible so more people will develop thyroid meds and we can sell a lot more synthroid."

Also, I wonder if all the "natural food" freaks have lobbied for uniodized salt? You know, the tree hugging type "I want all my food organic" types.

Anyway, I wonder if many of the subclinical hypothyroid problems are due to lack of sufficient iodine in the American diet nowadays.

Fred
Old 03-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Question about iodized salt...good or bad?

Hey Fred,

do a google for "iodoral". A lot of the posters here use it, and a lot of the top doctors are now telling patients to take it.

To test your iodine level you take 4 iodoral pills then do a 24hr urine collection. If you excrete 90% or more of the iodoral you ingested then you have enough iodine in you.

According to doctors/studies etc, something like 90-99% of the population these days is iodine deficient.
Sponsored Links