Spontaneous Erections, Morning Wood: What causes the loss?

Discuss Spontaneous Erections, Morning Wood: What causes the loss? at the Men's Health Forum; What if you have morning wood, but no spontanious erections? What would be the problem?...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 12:29 AM

What if you have morning wood, but no spontanious erections? What would be the problem?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:36 AM

I've had luck with tren before too, but it is not always consistent. Great libido followed by crappy libido. The bad part is you never knew when, so it would make it even more stressful if the bad libido coincided with a visit from the girlfriend. That is the biggest problem I have found with hrt, extreme fluctuations throughout the day, and a lack of a natural buildup of tension, which can always be useful when natural.

I think the biggest problem with ANY hrt type program is that you sacrifice the normal rhythm and pulsatile action of a natural hormone system. It seems that it is important for certain hormones to be up and down at various times of the day. An example I have noticed is that when on long cycle or hrt there is never a build up of urgency in libido, whereas when natural, the longer you go without orgasm the more important it becomes to where it almost happens involuntarily if you ignore it long enough. On hrt even if libido is alright, it seems to miss that cyclical component where tension can build up. I wonder why that is?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
That is the biggest problem I have found with hrt, extreme fluctuations throughout the day, and a lack of a natural buildup of tension, which can always be useful when natural.

I think the biggest problem with ANY hrt type program is that you sacrifice the normal rhythm and pulsatile action of a natural hormone system. It seems that it is important for certain hormones to be up and down at various times of the day.

Not true with Androderm Patches. They DO mimic the natural circadian cycle. They are designed that way. You put them on at night before you go to sleep. They give the highest levels in the morning and the T levels decline over the course of a day. Just like the body does naturally. I believe that guys don't like them for that very reason. You don't get the 24 hr a day boost like shots or gels.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:14 PM

Larry,

There are tons of studies, I was just checking my topics. The erection link with NO and Dopamine is worth looking at too:

Ginkgo biloba leaf extract (EGb 761) enhances catalepsy induced by haloperidol and L-nitroarginine in mice.

Fontana L, Souza AS, Del Bel EA, Oliveira RM.

Laboratorio de Neuropsicofarmacologia, Departamento de Farmacia e Farmacologia, Universidade Estadual de Maringa, Maringa, PR, Brasil.

Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 has been reported to have therapeutic effects which have been attributed to anti-oxidant and free radical-scavenging activities, including a direct action on nitric oxide production. L G-nitro-arginine (L-NOARG), a nitric oxide synthase inhibitor, and haloperidol, a drug that blocks dopamine receptors, are both known to induce catalepsy in rodents. Nitric oxide has been shown to influence dopaminergic transmission in the striatum. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the effect of the extract obtained from leaves of Ginkgo biloba tree EGb 761 on catalepsy induced by haloperidol or by L-NOARG. Albino Swiss mice (35-45 g, N = 8-12) received by gavage a single or repeated oral dose (twice a day for 4 days) of EGb 761 followed by ip injection of haloperidol or L-NOARG. After the treatments, the animals were submitted to behavioral evaluation using the catalepsy test. Acute treatment with 80 mg/kg EGb did not modify the catalepsy induced by L-NOARG but, the dose of 40 mg/kg significantly enhanced haloperidol-induced catalepsy measured at the 10th min of the test. After repeated treatment with 80 mg/kg EGb 761, a significant increase in the cataleptic effect produced by both haloperidol and L-NOARG was observed. These data show that repeated EGb 761 administration increases the effects of drugs that modify motor behavior in mice. Since the catalepsy test has predictive value regarding extrapyramidal effects, the possibility of pharmacological interactions between haloperidol and Ginkgo biloba extracts should be further investigated in clinical studies.

PD-168077, a selective dopamine D4 receptor agonist, induces penile erection when injected into the paraventricular nucleus of male rats.

Melis MR, Succu S, Mascia MS, Argiolas A.

Bernard B. Brodie Department of Neuroscience, Center of Excellence for the Neurobiology of Addictions, University of Cagliari, S.P. Sestu-Monserrato, Km 0.700, 09042 Monserrato, Italy. [email protected]

The effect of PD-168077 (N-methyl-4-(2-cyanophenyl)piperazynil-3-methylbenzamide maleate), a selective D4 dopamine receptor agonist, injected into the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus on penile erection was studied in male rats. PD-168077 (1-200 ng) induced penile erection in a dose-dependent manner. The minimal effective dose was 50 ng, while the maximal response was found with 200 ng of the compound, which increased penile erection episodes from 0.3+/-0.03 to 1.7+/-0.21. The proerectile effect of PD-168077 was reduced almost completely by L-745,870 (3-(4-[chlorophenyl]piperazin-1-yl)-methyl-1H-pyrrolo[2,3-B]pyridine trihydrochloride), a selective D4 dopamine receptor antagonist, (1 microg) given into the paraventricular nucleus before the D4 dopamine agonist, and by other nonselective dopamine receptor antagonists, such as haloperidol (1 microg) and clozapine (1 microg), which block all dopamine receptor subtypes. The pro-erectile effect of PD-168077 was also reduced by the NO synthase inhibitor NG-nitro-L-arginine methylester (25 microg), but not by the oxytocin receptor antagonist d(CH2)5Tyr(Me)2-Orn8-vasotocin (1 microg), when given into the paraventricular nucleus. In spite of its inability to prevent the pro-erectile effect of PD-168077 when given in the paraventricular nucleus, d(CH2)5Tyr(Me)2-Orn8-vasotocin (1 microg) reduced almost completely PD-168077-induced penile erection when given into the lateral ventricles. The present results show that D4 dopamine receptors present in the paraventricular nucleus may influence penile erection by modulating the activity of paraventricular oxytocinergic neurons mediating erectile function.

PMID: 15814200 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano79
What if you have morning wood, but no spontanious erections? What would be the problem?
This happens from a loss of libido the feeling one gets when horny. Try taking some Maca. In some men and women this helps. Take 1/2 tsp 2 x's a day I buy it by the pound.
http://www.rain-tree.com/maca.htm
Old 12-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
Larry,

There are tons of studies, I was just checking my topics. The erection link with NO and Dopamine is worth looking at too:

I can definitely believe those, this just was an area that I never researched much.

When I developed hypercortisolism and then became abruptly VERY hypogonadal, my libido and erectile functioning dropped to zero. When I started TRT, my erectile functioning improved within a month of simply 5 grams of AndroGel. At 7.5 grams AG it was 95% back to where it was before. On 10 grams of Testim (and on current IM shots), erectile functioning has been as "potent" as ever. So my ED problem was clearly directly related to T problems - and my T didn't drop from to a somewhat low normal range, and crashed to way down completely below normal.

My libido improvements have definitely been there, just much slower and still only about 80% there (i.e., where they were before this started). But clearly the increase in Total T and Free T - in my case - correlated with drastic improvements in ED and VG improvements in libido.

I go along with the concept of Dopamine enhancing the libido factor (i.e., the reward factor hormone), but so far, anything that i take to try and gradually improve Dopamine has simply enhanced my anxiety levels (i.e., tyrosine above 100 mg daily, low dose selegiline, etc., etc.). Am hoping that I can get back on a dosage of 100 mg of tyrosine and gradually, gradually increase it to around 500 mg levels and then re-try selegiline.

Also am hoping that getting HcG added to my protocol might be the final step needed.

But thatnks for the info!

Larry