Stopping Androgel due to Hair Loss

Discuss Stopping Androgel due to Hair Loss at the Men's Health Forum; Just posting this as an FYI to members using or considering using Androgel . Late last year, with test levels ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 04:15 AM

Default Stopping Androgel due to Hair Loss

Just posting this as an FYI to members using or considering using Androgel.

Late last year, with test levels around 200, I was prescribed 5mg / 4 pumps of Androgel per week. The improvement in quality of life and libido were noticeable. The application was a piece of cake. The solution dried quickly. Test levels jumped over 900. I was extremely pleased.

However, over the last 8 months or so, my hair has started to thin on the crown and recede along the temples. In an attempt to stem to hair loss, I plan to drop the gels and switch to injections. I'm hopeful that the injections will lead to a lower DHT conversion rate versus the transdermals. I won't use finasteride or dutasteride because of negative past experiences; I want to avoid those drugs in the future.

The injections won't be as convenient, but if they preserve some hair, the trade-off will be worth it.

Best,
Monte
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 AM
Doctor of Medicine

Default Re: Stopping Androgel due to Hair Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
Just posting this as an FYI to members using or considering using Androgel.

Late last year, with test levels around 200, I was prescribed 5mg / 4 pumps of Androgel per week. The improvement in quality of life and libido were noticeable. The application was a piece of cake. The solution dried quickly. Test levels jumped over 900. I was extremely pleased.

However, over the last 8 months or so, my hair has started to thin on the crown and recede along the temples. In an attempt to stem to hair loss, I plan to drop the gels and switch to injections. I'm hopeful that the injections will lead to a lower DHT conversion rate versus the transdermals. I won't use finasteride or dutasteride because of negative past experiences; I want to avoid those drugs in the future.

The injections won't be as convenient, but if they preserve some hair, the trade-off will be worth it.

Best,
Monte
Did you measure DHT?

Email for free copy (pdf), "Anabolic Steroids - A Question of Muscle: Human Subject Abuses in Anabolic Steroid Research."

Email - [email protected]
Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/michaelscally
Blog - http://michaelscally.blogspot.com/
FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000559797692
Post Cycle Therapy (PCT)/ Androgen Induced Hypogonadism (AIH) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/609337655745437/
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 AM

who needs hair
Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM

Have you tried finasteride locally ? or minoxidil ?
finasteride doesn't have the same efficacy when used topically but at least you'll avoid some side effects and save your hair a little bit
Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Why should injections not cause hair loss? Is this a fact or only theory?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beav7 View Post
Why should injections not cause hair loss? Is this a fact or only theory?
doesn't increase DHT

but androgel doesn't always either!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biceps72 View Post
doesn't increase DHT

but androgel doesn't always either!
I think exogenous T, regardless of the method of adminstration, metabolizes into both DHT and E2. How much where is individual.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyMan View Post
I think exogenous T, regardless of the method of adminstration, metabolizes into both DHT and E2. How much where is individual.
The prevailing theory is that TD leads to more reduction of the T and hense more DHT since the reductase enzyme is present in skin cells. What this doesnt explain is, since the reaction takes place within the cell how the DHT gets back out.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scally MD View Post
Did you measure DHT?
Great question. Everybody wants to react to perceived causes and symptoms, but nobody seems to want to do the blood work to back it up.
I understand it can be expensive, but this is your health. You only have one body. You are worth it.

Women spend more on boob jobs and make up than we are wiiling to spend on our own health and we can't screw without it.
DragonRider is a fictional character and does not promote the use of anabolic steroids without a doctor's prescription. The information I share is my opinion based upon my personal experiences only and should not be construed as medical advice.

Last edited by DragonRider; 09-02-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
Great question. Everybody wants to react to perceived causes and symptoms, but nobody seems to want to do the blood work to back it up.
I understand it can be expensive, but this is your health. You only have one body. You are worth it.

Women spend more on boob jobs and make up than we are wiiling to spend on our own health and we can't screw without it.
DragonRider (and Dr. Scally above): DHT levels were not tested as my endo would not authorize.

As for reacting to the perceived causes and symptoms, all I can state is that, prior to the Androgel application, I had no issues with MPB. I'm hopeful that injections will lessen the conversion of T to DHT. I realize this is far from a guarantee, but elevated DHT levels seem to occur frequently on the gels (I'm basing this off anecdotal reports from other TRT sites).

Best,
Monte