Testim gel applied to scrotum (?)

Discuss Testim gel applied to scrotum (?) at the Men's Health Forum; I've read that Testim gel should not be applied to the scrotum. Why? What harm, if any, could be done ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Question Testim gel applied to scrotum (?)

I've read that Testim gel should not be applied to the scrotum.

Why?

What harm, if any, could be done if Testim were to be applied to the scrotum?

Since the skin of the scrotum is 40 times more permeable than that of the shoulders and upper arms, does it stand to reason that if Testim were applied to the scrotum that there would be substantially more absorption and bioavailability of testosterone than if otherwise applied to the shoulders and upper arms?

If one can tolerate the mild pain of Testim, an alcohol-based gel, applied to the scrotum, is it othewise okay to apply some or all of the gel to the scrotum?

Please advise. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafriend
I've read that Testim gel should not be applied to the scrotum.

Why?

What harm, if any, could be done if Testim were to be applied to the scrotum?

Since the skin of the scrotum is 40 times more permeable than that of the shoulders and upper arms, does it stand to reason that if Testim were applied to the scrotum that there would be substantially more absorption and bioavailability of testosterone than if otherwise applied to the shoulders and upper arms?

If one can tolerate the mild pain of Testim, an alcohol-based gel, applied to the scrotum, is it othewise okay to apply some or all of the gel to the scrotum?

Please advise. Thanks.

It is formulated to be applied to the skin on your torso and limbs, not the scrotum. Yes, you will absorb more T if you apply to your scrotum . . way more, probably too much more. It will also cause your DHT level to skyrocket.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafriend

Since the skin of the scrotum is 40 times more permeable than that of the shoulders and upper arms, does it stand to reason that if Testim were applied to the scrotum that there would be substantially more absorption and bioavailability of testosterone than if otherwise applied to the shoulders and upper arms? .
From what I have read, the scrotum is more permeable alright, but this is a bad thing. It will cause T levels to spike and taper down rather than slow steady state absorption. I think this coupled with the fact that you must rotate application points would not be good. The one or two days a week you would apply to your scrotum would be a "fastball" to your hormone system when it is used to slow pitch softball.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Primarily it's the DHT. More enzyme resides in the scrotal skin than anywhere else on your body. It may boost some of your feel-good at first but you'll suffer the ill effects of extremely high DHT after a while.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:20 AM

I was told DO NOT apply to your scrotum by my doc. He told me that since it was more sensitive that I could stroke out.
Just go by what the insert says and put it on your arms. 5mg will probally put you in the 350-600 range, or atleast thats what I found by personal exp and according to the insert.

Good luck.

Pooka
Old 10-25-2005, 10:32 PM

So, whats the problem with increased DHT anyway... other than hair and middle aged breakouts? Less E is a plus.

Remember where the first patches were put? Studies showed most effects magnified with scrotal penetration.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist
So, whats the problem with increased DHT anyway... other than hair and middle aged breakouts? Less E is a plus.

Remember where the first patches were put? Studies showed most effects magnified with scrotal penetration.
But weren't the patches formulated for scrotal application?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist

The standard transdermals already elevate DHT...usually well above the 'normal' range. But to apply these products to the scrotum would cause an excessive and extreme increase in DHT. When your prostate is so swollen that you are unable to pee and they put an cathode up your penis, then you will understand why this is not a good thing. (okay, so I made that up to be funny).
Old 10-28-2005, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeil2
But weren't the patches formulated for scrotal application?
There are:
1) Patches for scrotal application
and
2) Patches for non-scrotal application

They are each very different in their delivery.

Last edited by mranak; 10-28-2005 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:28 PM

I have done scrotal application of Transdermal T compounded at 10% for three years now. I regularly run the normal panels, at first 3 months, now at 6 months. Will go to a year soon. I have got it to constants by trial and error.

First, I have had no elevation of DHT past the T/DHT ratio I had before starting TRT. I do believe the scrotum is a better reservoir and loses less hormone than other areas. DHT keeps E down.

Second, DHT has no relationship to BPH or to CA. Many physicians world wide give DHT for same. E ratios are the problem not DHT. You can do a PubMed as well as I, and I have.

So, What is the problem with increasing a hormone that has the same erotogenicity as T and much more virilizing effect?