Vitamin D-2 50,000 units and Thyroid connection?..

Discuss Vitamin D-2 50,000 units and Thyroid connection?.. at the Men's Health Forum; I was prescribed 50,000 units of Vitamin D-2 (although D-3 is considered more bio-active and comes over the counter) and ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 02:26 AM

Default Vitamin D-2 50,000 units and Thyroid connection?..

I was prescribed 50,000 units of Vitamin D-2 (although D-3 is considered more bio-active and comes over the counter) and I was to take it once a week for four weeks and then once a month after.

The first three days on this dose was a little much--very sleeply probably because of the uptake of calcium and magnesium, but after that I felt better than i have felt in years outside of a side effect of minor forgetfulness--but i had a ton of energy and was told Vit D helped regulate both thyroid and Testo.

The problem was after the first four weeks and I had to wait until the monthly dose-- I got VERY tired and in fact some shaky jitterness-anxiety like feeling and was fatigued.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Default Re: Vitamin D-2 50,000 units and Thyroid connection?..

Weekly And Biweekly Vitamin D2 Prevents Vitamin D Deficiency

Perhaps the efffects you describe are due to the psyche influencing the soma.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Doctor of Medicine

What is your Vit. D level?

Email for free copy (pdf), "Anabolic Steroids - A Question of Muscle: Human Subject Abuses in Anabolic Steroid Research."

Email - [email protected]
Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/michaelscally
Blog - http://michaelscally.blogspot.com/
FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000559797692
Post Cycle Therapy (PCT)/ Androgen Induced Hypogonadism (AIH) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/609337655745437/
Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Ergocalciferol is effective, some studies compare it IU to IU, as a weak argument to prove its inefficacy. Prof. Holick, the best Vitamin D expert I came across, says Ergocalciferol aka Vitamin D2 is equally effective and it is beneficial for vegans and people who suffer a chronic kidney disease
Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Old 09-17-2011, 02:11 PM

Are the side effect you have, after you changed to the monthly intake? This may be due to the half life, you could try to split it into 4 doses a week?

I wonder if D2 is also fat soluble and how it gets converted in the body. Can you explain how this works, DrScally?

edit: Vitamin D2 lowers TSH, while colecalciferol seems to increase it
source: Ergocalciferol and Cholecalciferol Can Both Correct 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Deficiency - Renal and Urology News
maybe stacking ergo- and colecalciferol is synergistic in getting the right serum levels of 2,5 OH-D and 1,25 OH-D plus a stable TSH?

Last edited by amar7; 09-17-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkt View Post
Weekly And Biweekly Vitamin D2 Prevents Vitamin D Deficiency

Perhaps the efffects you describe are due to the psyche influencing the soma.

Nope--I don't think so, Vitamin D acts like a hormone in the body and can affect both the thyroid and testosterone.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael scally md View Post
what is your vit. D level?

19-l (30-100)
Old 10-16-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar7 View Post
Are the side effect you have, after you changed to the monthly intake? This may be due to the half life, you could try to split it into 4 doses a week?

I wonder if D2 is also fat soluble and how it gets converted in the body. Can you explain how this works, DrScally?

edit: Vitamin D2 lowers TSH, while colecalciferol seems to increase it
source: Ergocalciferol and Cholecalciferol Can Both Correct 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Deficiency - Renal and Urology News
maybe stacking ergo- and colecalciferol is synergistic in getting the right serum levels of 2,5 OH-D and 1,25 OH-D plus a stable TSH?

The only problem is is that the D-2 comes in a small gel cap at 50,000 units. Can't split that, so i asked the Doctor to go with 50,000IU's every 2-weeks instead of once every 4-weeks to see if it has an effect.

I am thinking the original sleepiness was because of the up take of calcium and magnesium---
I am also thinking that the anxiety later could have been not from the Vitamin D-2 itself, but either from switching from once a week for weeks to once a month and changing hormone regulation (remember Vitamin D acts like a hormone in the body) ---OR----using up my available calcium and magnesium at a higher rate than normal---especially since I don't drink milk or have a of foods that contain this in my diet=Depletion?

Calcium and magnesium are important for anxiety prevention. I am wondering what other nutrients or pathology would be affects by high dose Vitamin D-2?

I also think the reason this would happen less often with D-3 is because of the lower, over of the counter doses.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Biotics research emulsified forte only thing that helped me and many other people i have recommend it to