Whey protein for elderly people to stay muscle loss?

Discuss Whey protein for elderly people to stay muscle loss? at the Men's Health Forum; Generally speaking, is it safe and beneficial to give elderly seniors who loos muscle mass and strength some daily whey ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Medicine > Men's Health Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Default Whey protein for elderly people to stay muscle loss?

Generally speaking, is it safe and beneficial to give elderly seniors who loos muscle mass and strength some daily whey protein? Personally I cannot think of much which would speak against it if you don't overdose on the whey.
How much could one for example give an elderly woman which weighs like 130lbs?
Or what else could one do to stop muscle loss? Are there any anabolic substances which could be used in men or women if they're losing to much strength?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Default Re: Whey protein for elderly people to stay muscle loss?

I'd say be careful

the body needs a proper balance, and adding protein that is not needed just means the body needs to process and eliminate it, which puts stress on the kidneys

if the muscle loss has more to do with aging hormonal system than diet, adding to the diet doesn't help at all, in fact you might cause more problems
LW64 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.meatami.com/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/63169
Effect of protein intake on bone and muscle mass in the elderly

In conclusion, aging is associated with a progressive loss of bone and muscle mass, in part due to protein and amino acid homeostasis. There is reasonable evidence indicating that protein intake levels higher than the RDA (0.8 g/kg/day) might be required for the elderly. Therefore, ensuring that the elderly, in particular, have an adequate dietary protein intake with high-quality proteins and adequate calcium intake is essential for preserving bone and muscle mass. However, evaluating renal function, which decreases with aging, is also important. Finally, protein and calcium intake should be considered in the prevention or treatment of the chronic diseases osteoporosis and sarcopenia.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 PM

My grandmother is already really old and has dementia and she also loses weight and loses muscle mass. She has a hard time moving around. I cannot tell what she eats all day but I think she gets too little protein and too many carbs and also too little good fats. I would already have given her fish oil but her silly intern doesn't think fish oil is good and since she takes aspirin I don't know if she could take fish oil or if this would make the blood too thin.
I also thought if one added like 20gr whey protein to her diet per day then would this be a risk for the kidneys? I was thinking about just adding a little whey to her meals. She could drink a little whey mixed with water before every meal and this way raise the protein intake.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM

This article may be some help. Nutrition & Metabolism | Full text | Dietary protein intake and renal function

I don't think 20 grams would be a problem unless she has pre-existing renal disease. However, I don't think she can supplement or medicate out of this problem without some exercise, assuming endocrine function is correct. The article cvictor provided recommends 0.5 - 2 grams protein / kg daily. Mid range of 1 gram/kg suggest 60 grams total protein as a daily target.

A major portion of her problem is her lack of mobility. Weight bearing exercise is important for preventing and reversing sarcopenia. However, with dementia she could be at increased risk for falls. Without moving around, her ability to move around will also continue to decline. As muscles deteriorate, joint pain will increase through loss of support around the joints. Ability to maintain balance will decline as muscles weaken. She needs some sort of program within her capacity to get some weight bearing exercise if she is to retain her independence.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Increasing dietary protein requirements in ... [J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

Increasing dietary protein requirements in elderly people for optimal muscle and bone health.
Gaffney-Stomberg E, Insogna KL, Rodriguez NR, Kerstetter JE.
Source
Allied Health Sciences, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut 06269, USA.
Abstract
Osteoporosis and sarcopenia are degenerative diseases frequently associated with aging. The loss of bone and muscle results in significant morbidity, so preventing or attenuating osteoporosis and sarcopenia is an important public health goal. Dietary protein is crucial for development of bone and muscle, and recent evidence suggests that increasing dietary protein above the current Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) may help maintain bone and muscle mass in older individuals. Several epidemiological and clinical studies point to a salutary effect of protein intakes above the current RDA (0.8 g/kg per day) for adults aged 19 and older. There is evidence that the anabolic response of muscle to dietary protein is attenuated in elderly people, and as a result, the amount of protein needed to achieve anabolism is greater. Dietary protein also increases circulating insulin-like growth factor, which has anabolic effects on muscle and bone. Furthermore, increasing dietary protein increases calcium absorption, which could be anabolic for bone. Available evidence supports a beneficial effect of short-term protein intakes up to 1.6 to 1.8 g/kg per day, although long-term studies are needed to show safety and efficacy. Future studies should employ functional measures indicative of protein adequacy, as well as measures of muscle protein synthesis and maintenance of muscle and bone tissue, to determine the optimal level of dietary protein. Given the available data, increasing the RDA for older individuals to 1.0 to 1.2 g/kg per day would maintain normal calcium metabolism and nitrogen balance without affecting renal function and may represent a compromise while longer-term protein supplement trials are pending.

Protein Requirement of Elderly Women
Nitrogen Balance Responses to Three Levels of Protein Intake

Protein and Older Adults

http://www.ajcn.org/content/60/4/501.full.pdf
Increased protein requirements in elderly people: new data
Am J Cli,, Nuir 1994:60:501-9. Printed in USA. © 1994 American Society for Clinical Nutrition 501and retrospective reassessment

A safe protein intake for elderly adults would be 1.0-1.25 g ı kg ‘ . d ‘ of high-quality protein.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

tuna or salmon is pretty inexpensive, and as part of a healthy meal with some fiber (whole grain bread or crackers, etc.) you would be getting lots of protein and good fats with it too, easy to prepare too
Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks guys.
I cannot really say how many grams protein she usually gets with her normal food regimen. She does eat meat sometimes and also cheese but I cannot say how many grams she usually gets.
Exercising isn't really an option she is way over 90 and has a hard time getting up out of a chair or walking. She also has a hard time climbing stairs. She also eats less than in the past and gets those high calory drinks which are specially made for people who don't get enough calories through the regular diet but those high calory drinks contain mostly carbs and I was thinking if adding a little whey to her diet might be a good idea. After all whey is easier to digest than meat or tuna and puts less stress on the body, right?
I also wouldn't eat tuna because of the heavy metals and toxins it's not worth it.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkman View Post
... After all whey is easier to digest than meat or tuna and puts less stress on the body, right?
I don't know if I agree with that, I always felt better and my stomach more settled for the rest of the day after eating a salmon sandwich than how I feel after drinking a whey protein shake. something about a properly balanced small meal is way better than a "meal replacement" or powdered concoction

not to mention the risk of constipation or other digestive upset when dealing with an elderly person, I always err on the side of sticking with natural, centuries tested food choices
Old 04-17-2012, 05:08 PM

I never have problems with whey. I drink a whey shake every morning.
Another advantage of whey protein is also that it contains no purines like other protein sources.