Slow-releasing protein powders vs. real food

Discuss Slow-releasing protein powders vs. real food at the Nutrition / Supplements Forum; Are slow-releasing proteins such as caseins any more anti-catabolic than whole food proteins like chicken, beef, tuna, eggs, etc. I ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Bodybuilding > Nutrition / Supplements Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Slow-releasing protein powders vs. real food

Are slow-releasing proteins such as caseins any more anti-catabolic than whole food proteins like chicken, beef, tuna, eggs, etc. I usually get about 200-300 grams of protein a day from meals and another 100 grams or so from whey protein shakes and was wondering if I would benefit from supplementing my diet with one of the slow-releasing protein powders. If so, which one would you recommend, I've seen several different kinds on the various websites. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:00 AM

Bioavailability and when you eat the protein are what counts. After a workout whey proteins(Isolate and concentrate) are good because they get absorbed faster and are very bioavailable. Of course some glucose is also needed for conversion to glucogen for anabolism. During the day slowly absorbed protein would be best(casein, egg protein, and solid food).
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2005, 10:39 AM

Freedomfighter, thanks for the response. I use a whey isolate/concentrate blend pre, during, and post workout along with extra BCAA's, glutamine, creatine, and dextrose. I will also sometimes drink part of a whey protein shake in between meals. I was just curious if some of these protein powders that are said to be anti-catabolic are necessary if you are getting plenty of protein from food every 3 or 4 hours or if they are more for convenience for those who don't have time to eat that often and must resort to shakes. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:06 PM

casien isn't as good as whole food during the day because it will take time to break down..............only time u want to rely directly on slow acting protien like that is b4 bed........ through out the day i would rely on whey is after your workout (or a whey/egg combination with milk if using to replace a meal)....casien b4 bed........and food throughout the day......... casien is good to take anytime (why i drink milk with protien) but don't totally rely on it during the day.............
Old 02-21-2005, 01:40 AM

I don't agree with you BigRagu. Casein is good for the day as it is slowly absorbed. Gymrat is wondering about the anti-catabolic effects of proteins. During the day the only cause for catabolism would be if you waited too long between meals(Unless you workout in the morning). Once you get hungry you're already in a catabolic state. This is one of the reasons for eating 6-8 small meals a day. The other reason is eating like that picks up the metabolism and helps in the absorbtion of nutrients.The anti-catabolic effect of protein as I understand it refers to the time immediately after a workout. If you don't get some glucose and protein into the bloodstream quickly after a workout cortisol will be released in large quantities. Now I learned all this years ago if anyone knows of recent research that shows otherwise I always welcome correction.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:34 AM

i didn't say casien should be totally taken out during the day........ but i do think u should wait until bedtime to take a casien protien powder,,,,,,,, u will get enough of it from milk during the day..... if your waiting till your hungry to eat your waiting too long ....... u should be eating every 2-3 hours........
Old 02-21-2005, 08:15 AM

Milk has a lot of lactose and a high sodium content. If you're looking to stay cut I wouldn't drink a lot of it. I do agree that casein before you sleep is a good idea, also in the middle of the night if you wake up.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:44 PM

Thanks everyone. Yall have helped answer my question. I guess I'll order some casein for bedtime and stick with real food and whey shakes in between meals for the daytime.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Slow-acting proteins are useful, particularly at bedtime. But also, during periods of caloric restriction. Having dieted with and without slow-acting protein supplements, I can tell you that its addition help a lot with hunger and seemed to result in a more successful diet. I particularly like Bryan Haycock's DRIVER protein (www.hsnhst.com) not only because I know him personally but because he has my full trust and confidence and I know he uses high-quality ingredients which meet label claims.

Steroid Profiles | Steroid Source Reviews |How to Use Steroids
Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Considering that most bodybuilders eat 4-8 times per day, the type of protein is less of a concern than for someone who only eats 1-3x/day. Whole food takes a while to digest, as does casein, so if there is a difference I wouldnt imagine it to be very great. Plus the speed of digestion is not simply a factor of the type of protein, it also takes into account food already in your stomach (previous meals). Casein would be better than whey at bedtime, but during the day it really doesnt matter.