can steroids mess up your hemoglobin/A1C levels?

Discuss can steroids mess up your hemoglobin/A1C levels? at the Steroid Forum; Went to Dr. 2 wks ago, he was going over my labwork and said that my hemoglobin was starting to ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Anabolic Steroids > Steroid Forum

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Default can steroids mess up your hemoglobin/A1C levels?

Went to Dr. 2 wks ago, he was going over my labwork and said that my hemoglobin was starting to get into that gray area where I needed to take some precautions to avoid becoming diabetic. This bloodwork he wwent over was from 3 months prior. They did bloodwork again that day to recheck A1C levels coupe wks ago. They called me today and he wants me to come back in there to go over the bloodwork. I'm a little nervous, but skeptical as well. I'm one of those guys who eats extremely clean year round, although I do consume a lot of white rice and potatoes. I hardly EVER consume sugar, no soda, no sweets, hardy ever eat sugar. I'd have to say my daily carb intake prior to this was roundabout 300-400 grams/day consistently. I have been on 200mg/wk test replacement for past couple yrs now. Dr. told me to start donating blood every 3 months to help keep levels in check, have not done so yet but going to do my first visit tomm. I honestly never come off cycle, I just switch compounds every few months and stick to my 200mg/wk test dosage all the time. I have not used any GH or insulin in over a year, but I'm wondering if steroids have affected my hemoglobin? I've recently lowered carb intake. I also train in mornings in a fasted state. I dont feel bad other than I occasionally feel hypoglycemic if my carbs are too low. But I've always been this way. Could this be gear related? Any suggestions? He is talking about putting me on metformin if my levels rise anymore, I do not want to use any sort of medication I would have to stay on. Def do not want to be a diabetic!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Default Re: can steroids mess up your hemoglobin/A1C levels?

everything ive researched points to prolonged steroid usage elevating these levels. HOWEVER, I really cannot find any correlation between this and diabetes, maybe I'm missing something here. Kind of sucks though, I'm 2 weeks back on cycle and running EQ and winny, which from what I've read are 2 of the worst for red blood cell production!!! Fuck!!! I may have to drop down to super low dosing here, or cut this one short. We;ll see what he says tomm
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

What is your age?
Family Hx of DM including immediate family, mother father OR grandparents ?
Your weight and height?
Last time your were using
physician directed TRT?
Last time you cycled?
What other meds are you taking prescribed or NON-prescribed?
Do you have the results of ANY blood work done in the past two years?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member

I'm 32 yrs old, 228 lbs, 5'9" and sub 10% bf. I'm on 200mg/wk test cyp, but am usually always using something with it except the 3-4 wks prior to bloodwork every 12 wks. I was off cycle for about 3-4 wks prior to last blood test 2 wks ago. Family history, NO DIABETICS in my family, not in my gene pool. I was consuming a fairy decent amount of white rice and potatoes, but never any sugar, but do use splenda and drink a couple diet cokes/day usually. My A1C levels were at 6.4 on the test 2 wks ago, I went to donate "double reds" this morning at Red Cross and hemoglobin was at 17.3% when they pricked my finger. Dr. wants me to take 1 metformin pill before bed each night and retest me in 12 wks to see if he can get the number lower. I dont want to take any meds I have to stay on, I have been low carbing since my blood test 2 wks ago, taking in under 200 grams/day carbs on most days. Thanks for your help
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

btw, yes Dr. prescribed TRT, I do have results from bloodwork over past 2 yrs, will need to take a look at it when i get to work, (I keep it in my locker at work) as for other meds besides testosterone, was using a lot of primobolan prior to blood test 12 wks ago(about 1,000mg/wk) and before the last one 2 wks ago using small amount of sustanon and NPP, 220mg/wk sustanon, 120mg/wk NPP) Right now I'm on EQ @ 400mg/wk, winny @ 40mg/day, and anavar @ 100mg/day along w/ 200mg/wk test. Considering taking the EQ down to 200-300mg/wk since I know it is one of the worst ones for raising red blood cell count.

I cant help but wonder if working out fasted has done this. That seems to be the only thing I have changed since getting these bad readings. I train early morning on empty stomach. It doesnt make sense that it would effect this, but I am questioning it. Also, my training has been extremely high rep past several months, 20-30 rep range on almost everything
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Doctor of Medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demondosage View Post
I'm 32 yrs old, 228 lbs, 5'9" and sub 10% bf. I'm on 200mg/wk test cyp, but am usually always using something with it except the 3-4 wks prior to bloodwork every 12 wks. I was off cycle for about 3-4 wks prior to last blood test 2 wks ago. Family history, NO DIABETICS in my family, not in my gene pool. I was consuming a fairy decent amount of white rice and potatoes, but never any sugar, but do use splenda and drink a couple diet cokes/day usually. My A1C levels were at 6.4 on the test 2 wks ago, I went to donate "double reds" this morning at Red Cross and hemoglobin was at 17.3% when they pricked my finger. Dr. wants me to take 1 metformin pill before bed each night and retest me in 12 wks to see if he can get the number lower. I dont want to take any meds I have to stay on, I have been low carbing since my blood test 2 wks ago, taking in under 200 grams/day carbs on most days. Thanks for your help
While I am actually a proponent of Metformin for reasons other than Type 2 DM, I am at a loss at what exactly you are being treated for! The A1C levels are fine. What is the BG? [I am assuming no meds except TRT.] As I said, IMO Metformin is a good med - decreased cancer risk, increased Insulin sensitivity, weight loss, ...

See: Diabetes

Quote:
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association of the Study of Diabetes (EASD) published a new position statement in 2012 entitled “Management of Type 2 Diabetes: A Patient Centered Approach” (6, 7). The new guidelines include treatment nuances that recommend a personalized approach to each individual patient. The main glycemic target remains the same, recommending a glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) target of less than 7% with preprandial glucose of less than 130 mg/dl and a postprandial glucose of less than 180 mg/dl. However, the recommendations have changed for specific populations. These recommendations include more stringent targets (HbA1c goal, 6.0–6.5%) for younger, healthier patients (if attainable without significant hypoglycemia) and less strict targets (HbA1c goal, 7.5–8.0%) for older individuals with more comorbidities, or for those who are more prone to have hypoglycemia. The approach of the committee was to encourage physicians to critically evaluate the risk-to-benefit ratio for each patient rather than provide a prescriptive algorithm for all patients.
If you want the full-text, email
Code:
[email protected]

Email for free copy (pdf), "Anabolic Steroids - A Question of Muscle: Human Subject Abuses in Anabolic Steroid Research."

Email - [email protected]
Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/michaelscally
Blog - http://michaelscally.blogspot.com/
FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000559797692
Post Cycle Therapy (PCT)/ Androgen Induced Hypogonadism (AIH) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/609337655745437/

Last edited by Michael Scally MD; 11-30-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

Yea your level is clearly BELOW the new HgbA1c recommendations set forth by the ADA in 2010 of LESS than 6.5% (in patients your age). So Dr S, it's just conjecture, but perhaps his physician is concerned about pre-diabetes AND initiated treatment based on an HgbA1c level of greater than "5.7 yet less than 6.4%"? But agreed, "prediabetics" are best managed by changing their diet and increasing physical activity rather than the use of an oral agent, unless extensive cardiovascular risk factors coexist such as; hypertension, elevated cholesterol, family history, obesity, inactivity. Nonetheless, even in prediabetics with "high risk factors" for ASCVD complications I'm not aware of any evidence which suggests, the use of an oral agent is MORE beneficial than dietary and exercise modifications? DOC?
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

thanks so much for your responses guys!! The hard part about all this is I'm hypoglycemic by nature. I have NEVER been the type who could take my carbs extremely low without feeling like I was going to friggin die. For myself, 200 grams/day is very low. The Dr. said that I was in a range that I needed to adjust my carb intake and take precaution so I wouldnt be a diabetic. I have no issues about using metformin short term, my only issue is I do not want my body used to things like this to where it throws off my system permanently and I have to have it. I could care less about being on TRT for life, but things that fuck up my insulin balance and sugar levels I would like to avoid. I almost thought about not even using the shit and just continue on w/ dietary adjustments, maybe increase cardio as well
Old 12-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr JIM View Post
Yea your level is clearly BELOW the new HgbA1c recommendations set forth by the ADA in 2010 of LESS than 6.5% (in patients your age). So Dr S, it's just conjecture, but perhaps his physician is concerned about pre-diabetes AND initiated treatment based on an HgbA1c level of greater than "5.7 yet less than 6.4%"? But agreed, "prediabetics" are best managed by changing their diet and increasing physical activity rather than the use of an oral agent, unless extensive cardiovascular risk factors coexist such as; hypertension, elevated cholesterol, family history, obesity, inactivity. Nonetheless, even in prediabetics with "high risk factors" for ASCVD complications I'm not aware of any evidence which suggests, the use of an oral agent is MORE beneficial than dietary and exercise modifications? DOC?

BTW, everything you mention is in check and great. My BP was 110/64, HR was 62, cholesterol in normal range, liver values a little high but nothing too bad. Good point you mention here, I would think if this were a sign of diabetes other things would be starting to shift with the bloodwork as well.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

The "changes" your describing may occur on an a symptomatic basis and over a period of years especially for "predisbetics". Agreed everything is in check excepting why your doctor would like you to begin Metformin when lifestyle modifications are the therapeutic standard, go ask him. He sounds like a knowledgeable fella tell him what you've told us,
and take it from there mate!