Training program for 14 year old?

Discuss Training program for 14 year old? at the Training Forum; Hello everyone: I'm new to this site (well, at least this is my first post) but have been body- building ...

Go Back   MESO-Rx > Bodybuilding > Training Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 11:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lex-TTP Send a message via Yahoo to Lex-TTP
Default Training program for 14 year old?

Hello everyone: I'm new to this site (well, at least this is my first post) but have been body- building since I've been 18 and lifting weights since about 13. I was ectomorphic and had a hard time putting weight on until I was about 19 when I did my first cycle. I've been on and off ever since (18 years) and know what works and doesn't by now for me. My best friend's 14 year old son I would also classify as ecto and at 5'6, 126 lbs. consumes more food than I've ever seen anyone eat in my life. But still can't put on any weight. He just finished his 8th grade football season and asked me to train him and get him "big" for next season. His father is afraid if I put him on a power-lifting routine that I'll compress his joints. Well, my plan was to have him lift basic (squats, deads, bench) twice a week doing moderate reps (5-8) for first first 8-10 weeks then incorporate a few more movements to cover back, shoulders and arms as well. Kind of a power bodybuilding routine assuming he started to respond to the initial power-lifting routine by both increasing size and strength. Now I'm not sure if that makes sense or would compress his joints as his father suggests. Any thoughts on how to go about training him at 14 to get so size and strength on him without stunting his growth or compressing his joints? Thanks, Joe
Old 11-03-2006, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Training program for 14 year old?

Check out Mark Rippetoe's starting strength. Best thing for that kid is to develop a good base and good workout habits that'll carry him for the rest of his life. You could tweek this to no end if you wanted to. It's the structure and low overall volume that's important IMO.

Here is a routine from Mark Rippetoe’s book called “Starting Strength”. You can buy the book at www.startingstrength.com. It includes endless useful info that all beginners should learn.

Quote:
The program is as follows:

You alternate Workout A and Workout B every other day, 3 times a week.

Example:

Week 1:

Monday - Workout A
Wednesday -Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:

Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

Etc.

For the actual workouts read below:

Note: This doesn’t include warm-up sets

**Means this is OPTIONAL**

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift
**2x8 Dips (if you cant do these or no assist machine then do Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)
**2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2006, 04:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lex-TTP Send a message via Yahoo to Lex-TTP

Thanks bro. This confirms my theory on starting him off with BASIC powerlifting movements. I will order book but one question I have after looking at reps suggested: how heavy should he go? (i.e. whatever he CAN lift for 5 reps or pick a weight that is moderdate for him?) Again, the concern being joint compression or stunting his growth. Thanks again, Joe
Old 11-03-2006, 05:36 PM

LOL, I think it's a total myth to think it stunts growth. Lou Ferigno started around 14 years old and he's the tallest in his family now (6'5" or something). Same goes for all the Olympic lifters. It's foolish to think they all started weight lifting once they turned a magical age of 16-18 years old.

Good thread over at midwest: Click here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay

For Olympic Weightlifting, I consider between 8 and 10 years old as being the ideal time to start... although right now i have two kids who started earlier (one at 6, one at 7) who are gonna be great. But anything under 8 is too young for a lot of kids, just because of a lack of maturity.

And no, training early isnt going to hurt them. Unless they do something stupid, that is. But then again, you can do stupid things pretty easy outside the weightroom as well as in it. If my son gets hurt at the gym, im pretty sure it is more likely to be from jumping off the hood of my truck (which he has recently started sneaking outside and doing... climbs the tailgate, gets on top the toolbox, then on top the cab, climbs down the window to the hood, then jumps off) and not from snatching.
In my opinion, I would start him off with light/managable weights and supervise his form for the first however long. For instance, watching his benching ensuring his elbows are tucked, ect. The weight can come in time. Shit, starting off NOW, by the time this kid hits high school, he'll be a wrecking ball.

I know how kids can get having kids of my own. If he starts getting bored, there's nothing stopping you from making it a little funner by changing the rep ranges, picking different variations of those movements, ect. I think the core of the program doing full body workouts and strictly compound movements is ultimately what matters most.

Last edited by combat_action; 11-03-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:15 AM

Man if that kid starts training the oly lifts now he will be a hell of a lifter in a few years. I wish I had started at that age. Yes, get Starting Strength and go from there. Even better find a oly coach near you to help train him.

Perp