2018 Training Log

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by theprodgicalson, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Same thing as last log. Just a training log with numbers. ill probably post a "physique" pic up next week. After i get rid of this 9 pounds i gained over the holidays. Back to fully tracking all meals. After seeing @jaymaximus in the most shredded thread, he has me wanting to get lean. So i will be adjusting my carb cycling so that my low carb days are lower in carbs for the time being. Strength is the primary goal, is if that starts taking a big hit, ill adjust accordingly.

Goals for 2018
    Stay healthy and injury free
    Squat- 600 in sleeves
    Bench - 425
    Deadlift - 750

Next meet is in 13 weeks
    Week 1 Day 1

SSB Squats W/ 2ct Pauses above Parallel (
    pause above paralell, drop into hole and come up)
    4 sets 6 reps
    5th set AMRAP 11 reps

Snatch Grip RDL w/ 5ct eccentric

4 sets 6 reps

Pendulum Squat

2-45's
    2 sets 10 reps 8RPE
    2-25's
    2 sets 10 reps 8RPE

Banded hamstring curls

4 sets 25 reps

ShouldeRok rotation

4 sets 10 reps

Reverse Hypers

4-45's
    4 sets 15 reps

Quads, hams and glutes are feeling it today. Lots on time under tension. The squats didnt sound hard on paper, but once i got to the last two sets i was feeling it. I could have probably done a couple more on the AMRAP, but i just could not catch my air. Upper back and traps are smoked from the snatch grip RDL's. As i stated last week in the 2017 log, the pendulum squat machine is very humbling. i truly thought i was going to puke after the second set of those.

keeping a very tight leash on rest times. Main movements are max 3 minutes between sets. Accessories are 2 minutes max.

2. Johnny442

Johnny442 Member

I’m in !

theprodgicalson likes this.
  3. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

I'm in. I'm actually really interested to see this because I want to start upping my strength training. I have a dream of trying to do a meet and a BB competition in 2018

4. Thanks @jaymaximus

I dont plan on anything aggressive cut wise for now. If over the next month i drop 3 pounds that would be fine with me. Ive already dropped 4 pounds from Saturday. Then, as i get closer to the meet up the Cals some. After the meet i may do a more aggressive cut.

Week 1 Day 2

Close Grip tempo bench 5ct eccentrics

5 sets 6 reps
    AMRAP
    1 set 17 reps

DB Floor Press 5ct eccentrics

100DB
    2 sets 12,10 reps
    80DB
    1 set 12 reps
    65DB
    1 set 12 reps

Chest Supported DB Rows

75DB
    3 sets 15 reps
    60DB
    1 set 15 reps

Banded Tricep pushdowns

3 sets 25 reps

Wide Grip lat pulldowns

4 sets 20 reps

Shoulder Lateral Raises

15DB
    4 sets 30,30,27,24

Upper body was pumped after this session. I thought the CGBP was going to be too easy, but by the 3rd set i was feeling it. Honestly surprised i got 17 on the AMRAP. Gassed out on the Floor Preses fairly quick. Also, FUCK high rep lateral raises

5. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

I started doing high rep lat raises with barbell (the pre weighed ones), love it. Hate it, but love results

ickyrica and theprodgicalson like this.
  6. WEEK 1 DAY 3

DEADLIFTS W/ FORWARD PULLING BANDS

10 sets 3 reps

FRONT SQUATS

3 sets 8 reps 7RPE

INVERSE CURLS

4 sets 10 reps 8RPE

SPLIT SQUATS

45KB'S
    3 SETS 12 REPS 8RPE

WEIGHTED PLANKS

45 PLATE
    3 sets 60 seconds

BELT SQUAT MARCHES

30% of squat max
    6 minutes taking minimal rest

WEEK 1 DAY 4

COMP GRIP BUFFALO BENCH

10 sets 3 reps

CIRCUIT;
    FACE PULLS
    4X25
    DIPS 4 amrap 42,36,32,28
    BAND PULL APARTS 4X50
    HAMMER CURLS 4X20

Easy couple of days for the most part. Front squats suck, but its evident its something that is going to help me build a bigger squat. Swapped out GHR for the Inverse Curl machine. I feel its too easy to sort of cheat on GHR, where the Inverse Curl machine is very strict and provided assistance so you do the movement properly. hamstrings and glutes were fried the next day. Belt squat marches for that long suck, but they help loosen up my hips.

Day 4 was easy also. got a great pump from the circuit.

7. Week 2 Day 1

SSB Squats W/ 2ct Pauses above Parallel (
    pause above paralell, drop into hole and come up)
    3 sets 6 reps
    4th set AMRAP 9 reps

Snatch Grip RDL w/ 5ct eccentric

4 sets 6 reps

Pendulum Squat

2-35's
    4 sets 10 reps 8RPE

Banded hamstring curls

4 sets 25 reps

ShouldeRok rotation

4 sets 10 reps

Reverse Hypers

4-45's
    4 sets 15 reps

Woke up at 234.7. I weighted 244.3 just after Xmas. So I'm basically right where I'd like to be already. I weighed in at 232.3 this morning, somehow, after yesterday's high carb day of 600grams 65grams of fat and 230 grams of protein. I guess I will have to up my low carb days some.

Not sure if the weight loss is catching up to me or it was just an off day. But the squats felt heavy. Was really surprised by the AMRAP.

I'm really liking the snatch grip RDL with the eccentric. Smokes my upper back and hams.

Pendulum squats felt a lot better this week. Dropped the weight but the same total volume.

8. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

In this bitch

9. WEEK 2 DAY 2

CLOSE GRIP TEMPO BENCH (5ct eccentrics)

5 sets 6 reps
    AMRAP 12 reps

DB FLOOR PRESS (5ct eccentrics)

85'S
    4 sets 12 reps 7-8RPE

SLIGHT INCLINE CHEST SUPPORTED DB ROWS

75'S
    4 sets 15 reps 7RPE

BANDED TRICEP PUSHDOWNS

Black Mini
    3 sets 25 reps 7RPE

WIDE GRIP LAT DOWNS

4 sets 20 reps 7RPE

SHOULDER LATERAL RAISES

15's
    3 sets 30 reps

Work capacity is still kind of shitty, but is getting better. Again, surprised by the AMRAP on the CGBP. My last set of Tempos was rough, around a 8.5RPE id say. Was at least able to keep the weight the same for floor presses, so that shows signs of work capacity increasing. I am really liking all of the pauses and tempo work I've been doing. It proved beneficial last prep in my initial block. Plus the tempo stuff gives you a GIANT pump. i should have snapped a pic this day. whole upper body was pumped.

insaiyan93, ickyrica and jaymaximus like this.
  10. WEEK 2 DAY 3

DEADLIFTS WITH FORWARD PULLING BANDS

10 sets 3 reps

FRONT SQUAT
    3 sets 7 reps 7RPE

INVERSE CURL MACHINE
    4 sets 12 reps 8RPE

SPLIT SQUATS
    3 sets 12 reps 8RPE

WEIGHTED PLANKS
    3 sets 60 seconds

BELT SQUAT MARCHES
    30% of squat max
    6 minutes

Deads with forward pulling bands seem to be really helping me out A LOT. While the weight is only roughly 65% minus the band tension, me lockouts are becoming lightening quick. it really forces you to wedge, pull you hips into the bar and keep your shoulders beyond the bar from the jump. Which is something i struggle with early in the initial pull making my lockout weak.

Front squats are still, well, front squats. And suck. i really hate every second of doing them. After my first set i decided to try out the Zercher/Front squat harness we have similar to this one.
    [​IMG]
    But i felt really unstable, plus the harness with digging into my belt. Just went back to the normal way and just worked through it.

For those actually interested, this is the Inverse Curl Machine

Really similar to a GHR, except you cant cheat like 90% of the people who use a GHR do. I wish i could have started using this machine earlier. Destroys your Hamstrings. If you have a set of heavier bands, you can do it without the machine. Here is Laura Phelps-Sweat to show you (one of the strongest female lifters ever)

WEEK 2 DAY 4

BUFFALO BAR COMP BENCH

10 sets 3 reps

CIRCUIT;
    FACE PULLS
    4 sets 25 reps
    DIPS AMRAP 39,35,28,25
    BAND PULL APARTS 4 sets 50 reps
    HAMMER CURLS 4 sets 20 reps

MEDLEY;
    FARMERS CARRIES
    SLED DRAG 135
    SLED PULL 135
    Each for 30 yards rest for 30-45 seconds, another set. 15 minutes total time.

Nothing hard, but got a great pump and followed it up with some conditioning work. Im planning on doing this once a week. ill shoot for two, but realistically by the time i get done with lifting i just want to go home and eat. Id prefer to do this on a day i lift, but i may come in on a morning i dont lift and do conditioning.

11. WEEK 3 DAY 1

SSB PAUSE SQUATS(2 count
    pause above parallel, drop into hole and come up)

2 sets 6 reps
    3rd set AMRAP 10 reps

SNATCH GRIP RDL (5 count eccentric)

4 sets 5 reps

PENDULUM SQUATS
    2-35's
    5 sets 8 reps 8RPE

BANDED HAMSTRING CURLS

4 sets 20 reps

SHOULDROK ROTATION

4 sets 10 reps

REVER HYPERS

4-45's 2-25's
    4 sets 15 reps

Squats felt MUCH better this week than last week. Was also 3 lbs heavier this week after some diet changes. Upper back stayed locked in, which i couldn't do last week. The SSB has a tendency under heavier loads to fold your upper back. Got more reps on my AMRAP with 30lbs more weight than last week. Last training cycle my best paused SSB squat was 360 for 1 set of 5 at 9.5RPE(different variation of paused). My best back squat AMRAP last training cycle was 405 for 10 reps. Definitely an indicator my squats are still progressing alot, consider the 405 AMRAP had no other real working sets.

WEEK 3 DAY 2

CLOSE GRIP TEMPO BENCH (5ct eccentrics)

2 sets 6 reps
    AMRAP 14 reps (no eccentric)

DB FLOOR PRESS (5ct eccentrics)

90'S
    2 sets 12 reps 8RPE
    75's
    2 sets 12 reps

SLIGHT INCLINE CHEST SUPPORTED DB ROWS

75'S
    4 sets 15 reps 7RPE

BANDED TRICEP PUSHDOWNS

Black Mini
    3 sets 25 reps 7RPE

WIDE GRIP LAT DOWNS

4 sets 20 reps 7RPE

SHOULDER LATERAL RAISES

15's
    3 sets 30 reps

Under ate A LOT this day. I was swamped at work and just didnt have the time. I knew going into the session, it might be a little rough. CGBP wasnt too bad. Would have liked 15 on the AMRAP. Ran out of gas when i got to floor press. Rest of the session was just lackluster.

ickyrica, insaiyan93 and Johnny442 like this.
  12. insaiyan93

insaiyan93 Member

In

13. WEEK 3 DAY 3

BUFFALO BAR COMP BENCH

8 sets 3 reps

GIANT SET 3 ROUNDS
    FLAT DB BENCH -
    115DB'S 14 reps, 100DB'S 14 reps, 90DB'S 12 reps 8RPE
    TEMPO PUSHUPS - AMRAP for all. 5CT eccentric, 3CT concentric
    REAR DELTS - AMRAP FOR ALL SETS

GIANT SET 3 ROUNDS
    TRICEP ROPE PUSHDOWNS -
    3 SETS 20 reps
    BODYWEIGHT SKULLCRUSHERS - AMRAP
    CABLE SHOULDER LATERAL RAISES - AMRAP

WEEK 3 DAY 4

DEADLIFTS WITH FORWARD PULLING BANDS
    5 sets 3 reps

DEADLIFTS NO BANDS
    1 set 3 reps
    1 set AMRAP 8 reps 9RPE

FRONT SQUATS
    3 sets 7 reps 7RPE

INVERSE CURLS
    3 sets 12 reps 8RPE

SPLIT SQUATS
    45'S
    3 sets 12 reps

WEIGHTED PLANKS
    3 sets 60 seconds

I swapped day 3 and day 4 around. I didnt have time, or eat enough to do deadlifts on day 3. Bench, while still light weight, moved phenomal. Really stayed tight after pressing off my chest. The giant sets were brutal, but effective. Triceps were gorged full of blood. Surprised myself with the 115's repping them for 14.

Day 4 when i switched from forward pulling bands to no bands, my first rep the lockout was so quick and i was so used to pulling the bar back into me because of the bands, i fell backwards at the top. I probably should have done a few feeder sets before the 525. I really wanted 10 on the AMRAP. Ive pulled 530 for 9 before, but that was with alot less working sets prior to the AMRAP.

Phone died while doing deadlifts so i did the programm based off of memory. I wasnt supposed to do inverse curls, and i was supposed to do belt squat marches. Isnt the end of the world i supposed.

This week is a taper week to start prep for my meet.

ickyrica, Johnny442 and insaiyan93 like this.
  14. WEEK 4 DAY 1 TAPER

COMP SQUAT

6 sets 1 rep 7RPE

SNATCH GRIP RDL
    2 sets 6 reps

PENDULUM SQUAT
    2-35'S
    2 sets 12 reps 8RPE

BANDED HAMSTRING CURLS

2 sets 25 reps

SHOULDEROK ANTI ROTATION

2 sets 10 reps

REVERSE HYPERS

4-45'S 4-25'S
    2 sets 15 reps

WEEK 4 DAY 2 TAPER

PAUSED CLOSE GRIP BENCH

6 sets 1 rep 7.5RPE

DB FLOOR PRESS

85'S
    4 sets 12 reps 7RPE

DB ROWS

110'S
    4 sets 12 reps 7RPE

BANDED TRICEP PUSHDOWNS

3 sets 25 reps

WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWNS

4 sets 20 reps

SHOULDER LATERAL RAISES

3 sets 30 reps

First day back with a straight bar for squats in 6-7 weeks didnt go too bad. Would have liked to have seen 475 at the same RPE, but wouldnt we all like 20 more pounds on the bar no matter what. Widened my grip out so im sure once i get used to that more these will progress further.

Close grip on the other hand felt great. i opened with 360 at my meet a few weeks back, so there is definitely some improvement there. Im fairly certain 340 for one single is a PR with close grip.

Ive got Deads tomorrow, same rep/set/RPE scheme. hoping for somewhere in the low 600's at 7RPE.

15. WEEK 4 DAY 3 TAPER

DEADLIFTS

2 sets 1 reps 7RPE
    3rd set re strained back

Did some reverse hypers and belt squat marches to loosen up my back/get some blood flow and left.

WEEK 4 DAY 4 TAPER

BUFFALO BAR BENCH

5 sets 3 reps

GIANT SET 3 ROUNDS;
    FLAT DB BENCH
    100'S 15,13,11
    TEMPO PUSH UPS 5-1-3 AMRAP
    REAR DELTS AMRAP

GIANT SET 3 ROUNDS;
    TRICEP ROPE PUSHDOWNS
    3 SETS 20 REPS
    BODY WEIGHT SKULLCRUSHERS AMRAP
    CABLE LATERAL RAISES AMRAP

Well, warm ups and my first two sets looked great. i actually look like i know how to pull sumo. A little slower off the floor but once the bar gets to my knees its locked out almost instantly.

Pulling out of the meet i was supposed to do in a few months. Sucks, but im going to opt to play long ball here rather than just be a little more conservative in my numbers. Also started getting sick saturday and was really sick sunday/monday/tuesday.

Im going to jump into a restoration block to help clear up this back issue to make sure it doesnt happen again. Hammering core and stabilization.

Already have my next meet picked out lol. Its in late summer, so this give me a solid 6-7 months to really build some momentum. Shooting for upper 1600's-low1700's

ickyrica, jaymaximus and Johnny442 like this.
  16. WEEK 5 DAY 1

LOW BAR TEMPO SQUATS (5ct eccentric)

5 sets 6 reps

BELT SQUATS HOLDING MEDICINE BALL

135+60 medicine ball
    4 sets 10 reps 7RPE

REVERSE HYPER

4 sets 25 reps 8RPE

SHOULDEROK ANIT ROTATION

+5LBS
    4 sets 10reps

RENEGADE ROWS

65DB's
    4 sets 10 reps 8RPE

WEEK 5 DAY 2

CLOSE GRIP SWISS BAR BENCH

5 sets 6 reps 7RPE

DB FLOOR PRESS
    90DB
    4 sets 10 reps 7RPE

BANDED TRICEP PUSHDOWNS

3 set 25 reps

WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWNS

4 sets 20 reps 7RPE

SHOULDER LATERAL RAISES

3 sets 30 reps 7RPE

WEEK 5 DAY 3

BUFFALO BAR BENCH
    8 sets 4 reps

GIANT SET 3 ROUNDS;
    FLAT DB BENCH
    110''S 15,12,10 8RPE
    REAR DELTS AMRAP

GIANT SET 3 ROUNDS;
    TRICEP ROPE PUSHDOWNS
    3 SETS 20 REPS

This getting hurt nonsense couldnt have actually come at a better time. Sprained my back last Friday, then sunday morning woke up sick as a dog. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday i spent the majority of the day on the couch. Hadnt been that sick in a LONG time. So when i got back into the gym, everything kind of felt heavy and nothing felt "great". By Saturdays Buffalo bar session, felt alot better. Day 3 was definitely a solid day. Another week of some restoration work then back at it.

17. WEEK 6 DAY 1

LOW BAR TEMPO SQUATS (5ct eccentric)

5 sets 5 reps

BELT SQUATS HOLDING MEDICINE BALL

135+60 medicine ball
    4 sets 10 reps 7RPE

REVERSE HYPER

4 sets 25 reps 8RPE

SHOULDEROK ANIT ROTATION

+10LBS
    4 sets 10reps

RENEGADE ROWS

45DB's
    4 sets 10 reps 8RPE

WEEK 6 DAY 2

5 sets 5 reps 7RPE
    1 set AMRAP 9 reps
    DB FLOOR PRESS
    90DB
    4 sets 10 reps 7RPE

BANDED TRICEP PUSHDOWNS

3 set 25 reps

WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWNS

4 sets 20 reps 7RPE

SHOULDER LATERAL RAISES

3 sets 30 reps 7RPE

Nothing fun or particularly exciting. Although i do really enjoy the eccentric squats. Squats and deadlifts are beltless for the next few weeks. Really hammering core. It is a definitely, obvious, weakness for me. Squats moved great, albeit they are roughly 50%.

My gym actually has 3 types of reverse hypers. One is a tradtitional reverse hyper with straps like below
    [​IMG]

Antother is called a dual pendulum reverse hyper. like the one below (this one is terrible to use. ive seen maybe 3 people actually use it in the +1year we have had it)
    [​IMG]

The third is called the bent pendulum. the platform you lay on can be angled 3 different way. Flat, angled up so there is less ROM. and angled down so there is more ROM (like the pic below)
    [​IMG]

I used the bent pendulum set up just like the picture with the pad angled down because someone was using the traditional one with 2-25's. it would have been a pain to work in with him and put on and take off 4-45s every set. The bent pendulum was humbling. i figured i would do a feeder set with 2-45s to get used to the machine. WRONG. Stopped after 5 because i knew there was no way i was getting 25 reps. backed down to 2-25's. felt amazing. Gets alot more traction on your back. I felt it hitting the exact area's in my low back that need more muscular development. Wish i would have started using this one earlier.

18. WEEK 6 DAY 3

DEADLIFT (BELTLESS, 5CT ECCENTRIC)

2 sets 6 reps
    4 sets 4 reps

BACK ATTACK MACHINE
    2-35's
    3 sets 10 reps 7RPE

AB ROLLOUT
    4 sets 15 reps

WEIGHTED DEADBUGS

4 sets 15 reps

WEEK 5 DAY 3

BUFFALO BAR BENCH
    6 sets 4 reps

GIANT SET 4 ROUNDS;
    FLAT DB BENCH
    100''S 15,14,12,10 8RPE
    REAR DELTS AMRAP

GIANT SET 4 ROUNDS;
    TRICEP ROPE PUSHDOWNS
    3 SETS 20 REPS

First time doing eccentric deadlifts. Brutal. Much harder than expected. Hamstrings, glutes and core were absolutely annihilated after that day. Didnt think the weighted deadbugs were going do much of anything in the way of core work, but they definitely did. Good exercise to practice bracing with also.

Primary bench day just felt off. Didnt move the way i thought it should have. Just one of those days i suppose. Still got a good pump from the giant sets.

19. WEEK 7 DAY 1

BELTLESS LOW BAR TEMPO SQUATS (5ct eccentric)

5 sets 4 reps

BELT SQUATS W/ TEMPOS(3-1-3)

4 sets 8 reps 7RPE

REVERSE HYPER

4 sets 20 reps 8RPE

WEIGHTED DEADBUGS

4 sets 15 reps

RENEGADE ROWS

45DB's
    4 sets 10 reps 8RPE

WEEK 6 DAY 2

CLOSE GRIP BENCH

6 sets 4 reps

1 set AMRAP 12 reps

TATE PRESS
    40DB'S
    4 sets 12 reps 7RPE

WIDE GRIP LAT PULLDOWNS

4 sets 15 reps 7RPE

BODY WEIGHT SKULLCRUSHERS

4 sets AMRAP

INVERTED ROWS
    4 sets AMRAP

SHOULDER LATERAL RAISES
    3 sets 30 reps 7RPE

body weight was 234.2 and 233.5 respectively for these training days. Going to log BW from now on to be able to look back and see trends in training further.

Veered off programming a bit on these days.

Squats were supposed to be between 275-295. First initial warm up sets felt like utter garbage. I took a couple extra warm up sets with pauses and felt better. Was just going to shoot the gap and do 285, but after one set with that weight i just jumped to 305 and did my 5 sets with that. The tempo belts squats sucked, but i know they will pay off. Was really kind of surprised everything went as well as it did because my core still had DOMS from Fridays ab stuff.

On day 2 i was supposed to do close grip swiss bar with 245 for 4x4 plus 1 AMRAP. A group of friends at my gym are in the final stretch of meet prep for the Arnold. They happened to be benching so i had to go a little heavier. None of the sets with 295 were much over a 7RPE, so still fairly light.

This week also starts me doing some type of pulling movement for back development every time i lift. the old sayin, Big back, big total.

20. WEEK 7 DAY 3
    B/W - 234.2
    DEADLIFT (BELTLESS, 5CT ECCENTRIC)

2 sets 6 reps
    3 sets 4 reps

PENDULUM SQUAT
    3 sets 12 reps 7RPE

WEIGHTED SISSY SQUATS

+90
    3 sets 10 reps 7RPE

AB ROLLOUT
    4 sets 15 reps

WEIGHTED DEADBUGS

+10lbs per hand
    4 sets 15 reps

WEEK 7 DAY 4
    B/W - 233.8
    BUFFALO BAR BENCH
    5 sets 4 reps

GIANT SET 4 ROUNDS;
    FLAT DB BENCH
    110''s - 15,12, 95's - 15,13 8RPE
    REAR DELTS AMRAP

GIANT SET 4 ROUNDS;
    TRICEP ROPE PUSHDOWNS
    3 SETS 20 REPS

20 MINUTES OF PROWLER PUSHES AND SLED PULLS

I was surprised i was able to get 2 sets out of 475 in this variation. the drop sets felt super light.

So im not really a superstitious person, but. i was deadlifting with a buddy this day. We were both working up to the same weight so we figured why not. My gym has 4 deadlift platforms. His first or second working set he does something to his lower back. This is the SAME platform i strained my lower back on both times. Not lifting on the platform, unless i need to do deadlift work with bands since its the only one with pegs.

Buffalo bench also felt REALLY good. Definitely hitting a groove with bench work.