5x5 Check-up

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by gymmy, Mar 16, 2005.

1. gymmy

gymmy Junior Member

Two of my friends and I just started the 5x5 routine, does this seem correct?

5x5 Routine
    Monday:
    Squat: 5x5 (Work up to max 5x5)
    Incline Bench Press: 5x5
    Bent Barbell Rows: 5x5
    Lying Tricep Extensions: 2x8
    Standing Calf Raises: 3x12
    Weighted Abs: 3x12

Wednesday:
    Squat: 5x5 (- 15 to 25% of Mondays Weight)
    Seated Military Press: 5x5
    Deadlift: 5x5
    Pulldowns(wide-grip): 5x5
    Curl: 2x8

Friday:
    Squat: 5x5 (Work up to max 1x5)
    Bench Press: 5x5 (Work up to max 1x5)
    Bent Barbell Rows: 5x5 (Work up to max 1x5)
    Close Grip Bench Press: 2x8 dips
    Standing Calf Raises: 3x12
    Weighted Abs: 3x12

I have been doing the squats as low as i can go past parallel and the barbell rows with my back parallel to the ground. Is this fine? Also should i be doing squats 3x a wk even though i'm sore as hell on wed?

2. J DUB

J DUB Junior Member

Looks good to me. How long have you been doing this for? The soreness you experience on Wednesday may just be because you aren't used to the program yet. Whenever I switch my programs, I am always sore for the first couple weeks.

3. gymmy

gymmy Junior Member

Just started it monday :) I'm doing it with 2 other friends and they were complaining to me that they might rip their hamstrings b/c they were so sore. This is b/c they never have squated low and i'm making them go as close to ass2calf as they can. It's funny as hell though, their working out with 105lbs 5x5. It's really killing their egos!

4. Stormrider

Stormrider Junior Member

You copied my proposed routine, from my thread! :eek: J/K

Please update me in this or my thread every few weeks on how things are going! I am curious to see how this routine works.

5. gymmy

gymmy Junior Member

Actually i did copy it, printed it, and it's in my gym bag. :D I'll keep you posted on the results!

6. J DUB

J DUB Junior Member

Yeah, you'll be sore next Wednesday too, and maybe a little bit sore the Wednesday after that. Those Monday workouts will get you until you are used to it.

7. gymmy

gymmy Junior Member

how could i implement my side and rear delts b/c my front delts are way bigger and it's just gonna get worse w/ this routine.

8. road warrior

road warrior Junior Member

LMFAO!! Thank you for answering the question I've been pondering the past few wks. I can bench more than I can oly squat, which didn't make sense to me since I'm a pro am bicycle racer. I was really curious about how others compare. I'd imagine it's safe to assume you guys are benching more than 105.

9. gymmy

gymmy Junior Member

one of my friends is doing the incline 5x5 w/ 165lbs his 1st wk and doing 115lbs 5x5 on his squats. My 1st wk i did 165 on incline and squat for 5x5 but i'm probably going up to 185 or 195 on squats next wk b/c i was squatting 225 parallel for 12 before i started the program.

My opinion on squats is they're like the stock mrkt, in that you're in it for the long term. I didn't lift in high school but i have friends that did and played football. Most of them can squat over 450lbs but bench under 300lbs. If you start working those wheels early you'll be better off.

10. johnsmith182

johnsmith182 Junior Member

road warrior, what distances do you race?

11. gymmy

gymmy Junior Member

i misread the 5x5 program and did squats 5x5 on mon and worked to my max set of 5 reps on friday. Is this fine cause i will be doing all 5x5 on mon and reaching my max of 5 reps on friday w/ all 3 movements.

12. road warrior

road warrior Junior Member

The races are generally 100+ miles

13. kenneth

kenneth Junior Member

yes that is fine.. I asked animalmass the same question, his answer was it is fine.