5x5 program

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Preacher, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

Hey all that care..... how does this sound

Monday - Squat, Bench, JS Rows
    Wednesday - Oly Squats, Military press, Deadlifts
    Friday - Squat, Bench, JS Rows

Week two
    Monday - Oly Squats, Military press, Deadlifts
    Wed - Squat, Bench, JS Rows
    Friday - Oly squats, Military press, Deadlifts

and repeat......

on the 3x3 2x week do you guys you less weight.?

Thanks

2. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

NOOOOOO! On the 3X3's you're using much more weight.

I don't get it. Are you saying that you'll parallel squat MF and oly squat on W?

3. perp69

perp69 Junior Member

I was wondering the same thing about the squats. Why do you list squats and then oly squats? What is the difference you are implying? Should be doing oly squats or either some front squats IMO. DL's twice a week would wreck me. Are you saying you are doing 5x5 the 1st week and 3x3 the 2nd?:confused:

Perp

4. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

OK i'm doing everything right, i'm just trying to mix things up a little. I do regular squats Mon, Wed & Friday. What I purposed was to try something diffrent with the 5x5.

What I purposed is you run the 6+ weeks of the 5x5 but run program A on week 1 and Program B on week 2

Program A
    Squat, Bench, Rows

Program B
    Squats, Military Press, DL

This is what it would look like:

Week 1:
    Monday, Program A
    Wednesday, Program B
    Friday Program A

Week 2:
    Monday Program B
    Wednesday Program A
    Friday Program B

Week 3:
    Mon Pro A
    Wed Pro B
    Frid Pro A

Week 4:
    Mon Pro B
    Wed Pro A
    Frid Pro B

And So on.....

5. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

You probably could do that. I'd be a litttle wary of heavy deads 2X/wk. There's something about them that is super taxing to the CNS, which may lead to overtraining and stalled results.

Myself, I can come up with a pretty good routine. In fact, aside from the 5X5 and one other program given to me by Mr. JohnSmith(utilized by the wrestlers at the olympic trainign center) I've NEVER used a "canned" program.

However, while I "can" make a good program(much of it based on my learnings from Mr. Smith), I can't make one any better than the 5X5.

I guess what I'm saying is don't fix it if it ain't broken. Then again, a little tinkering(while still holding true to the basic program) probably won't hurt anyone.

Ummmmm, that was total fence-sitting, eh? LOL Try it. See how it works. If it doesn't work, then stop doing it. Can't hurt to experiment, right?

6. gmccrac

gmccrac Junior Member

why not just do the 5x5 that is outlined? Have you done it so much you don't benefit of the gains? Is oly squatting 3xs a week too taxing but DLing isn't? I'm just confused i think. Here is the thread i go to for 5x5 structure......http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375215

7. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

I do about 3 diffrent routines a year. I do the 5x5 to a T as posted then I do the Hypertrophy training then I come up with my own.... right now i'm tinkering with what is going to be my own workout. what about this Grizz I would like to hear what you think of this one. I personally don't like it, but have not tried it either. Its my buddie's work out the the fucker is big.... Just a thought...

10 Minute Cardio Warm Up
    5 Minute Stretch
    Squat 1x12
    Leg Press 1x12
    Lunge 1x12
    Leg Ext 1x12
    Leg Curl 1x12
    Standing Toe Raises 1x12
    Lat Pulls (wide grip) 1x12
    Narrow Grip Pull Downs 1x12
    1 arm DB Tow 1x12
    DB Chest Press 1x12