A good, free Macro calculator?

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by T-Bagger, Jan 17, 2019.

1. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

Suggestions on the best one any of you are using?

2. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I've used MyFitnessPal and FatSecret. Both are good.

Roger rabbit and T-Bagger like this.
  3. tengtren

tengtren Member

image.jpg .99cents :D

4. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

I have My Fitness Pal, but does that actually help you figure out your macros, or just record them? I’ve used it for calorie counting, never macros.

5. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

6. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

It has a pie chart that shows your percentages of fat, carbs, and protein. You can program what percentages you want, but beyond that it doesn't help with figuring it out that I know of.

7. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

Cool. Know any apps that help you determine what macros are needed?

8. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member

Why do you need a macro calc? While the guidelines are OK, they are normally not made for 1. People who train hard 2. AAS users 3. Anyone outside statistical norms.

Can do much better using your own reference point and being more concerned with progression than how good the starting point was.

Vipera1 and T-Bagger like this.
  9. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

No, I don't. I only loosely track mine unless I'm trying to cut. I've heard some of those DNA testing things you see online can tell you what your body responds better to nutritionally. I never looked into it, so couldn't tell you anything else. I'd say look at proven guidelines and use a little trial and error to see what works best for you.

To be honest I wouldn't trust an app to tell me my macros. It would probably ask you some generic questions like height, weight, activity level and give you some cookie cutter answer that likely wouldn't apply to a steroid user.

Roger rabbit and Mac11wildcat like this.
  10. T-Bagger

T-Bagger Member

Looking to cut and find out what exactly is gonna be best to dial in this diet.

11. Vipera1

Vipera1 Member

All these DNA and whatever bullshit comes next is useless, stick to the old school methods and you'll be just fine.

For us usually its 40/40/20 (p/c/f), adjust if needed.

Trial and error until you find what's working best for your body.

Everybody since the golden era followed the basic and trusted method, why reinvent the wheel or make it complicated.

Send me a message if you want more info.

T-Bagger likes this.
  12. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

I would just write out your own meal plans, have all your macros figured out beforehand, then cook enough food for several days worth of that meal plan at a time. Have different meal plans that have more or less the same macros. That way you won't have to calculate anything. You know exactly how much to eat of exactly which foods long ahead of time. Saves you a lot of effort in the long run.

T-Bagger and Roger rabbit like this.