acne meds

zkt

I have a young friend just starting puberty who has a bod case of acne. Are there any meds for this?

Sworder

Washing face daily and get a scrub pad with it, sleeping with a fresh towel on the bad, worst comes to worst. If it were me, I would use a very low dose of accutane e.g. 20mg/day to see how he reacts. But it's a strong drug and needs to be treated accordingly. Risk:benfit

I have a young friend just starting puberty who has a bod case of acne. Are there any meds for this?

Stievamycin - tretinoin - erythromycin topical

Curr Med Res Opin. 2000;16(1):1-7.
Efficacy and tolerability of a topical erythromycin/tretinoin combination preparation in acne treatment: post-marketing surveillance study involving over 6500 patients. Efficacy and tolerability of a topical ery... [Curr Med Res Opin. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
Kreusch J, Bextermöller R.

Abstract

The good efficacy and tolerability of an alcoholic erythromycin/tretinoin solution was confirmed in a multicentre data investigation of over 6500 patients. The mean score for comedones declined clearly from 1.9 to 0.9 during treatment (average duration 70 days). The score for papules and pustules was reduced from 1.6 to 0.5. Overall medical assessment indicated 'very good' to 'good' efficacy in 86.1% of documented cases. Adverse drug reactions during treatment were mostly only very mild and were nearly always the known symptoms of redness, scaling, dryness and itching. Overall assessment of tolerability was 'very good' or 'good' in 88.1% of cases.

J Fam Pract. 2006 Nov;55(11):994-6.
Clinical inquiries. What is the best treatment for mild to moderate acne?
Rao S, Malik MA, Wilder L, Mott T. Clinical inquiries. What is the best treatment f... [J Fam Pract. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Abstract

For mild comedonal acne, monotherapy with topical retinoids is the treatment of choice (strength of recommendation [SOR]: A). For moderate comedonal and mild to moderate papulopustular acne, combination therapy with either benzoyl peroxide or topical retinoids (adapalene [Differin], tazarotene [Tazorac], tretinoin [Retin-A]) plus topical antibiotics (erythromycin or clindamycin) is proven most effective (SOR: A). Six to 8 weeks should be allowed for most treatments to work before altering the regimen (SOR: A).

Reactions: zkt

Beastin

Medication is only to be used in severe cases. Acne from puberty doesn't warrent the use of meds. Drugs like Acutane severly effects dopamine causing major deppresion

zkt

I`m thinking the topial tretinoin at the lowest concentration is in order if benzol peroxide proves ineffective. TY

I`m thinking the topial tretinoin at the lowest concentration is in order if benzol peroxide proves ineffective. TY

I'm a fan of Stievamycin and similar tretinoin/antibiotic topicals. I don't have any personal experience with benzol peroxide. I'll just add, if his acne progresses to the point of scarring despite the use of topicals, I wouldn't hesitate to use Accutane. I wish the young fella luck with whatever he chooses.

Regards
CBS

zkt

I'm a fan of Stievamycin and similar tretinoin/antibiotic topicals. I don't have any personal experience with benzol peroxide. I'll just add, if his acne progresses to the point of scarring despite the use of topicals, I wouldn't hesitate to use Accutane. I wish the young fella luck with whatever he chooses.

Regards
CBS

Appreciate your input. Actually is a girl so the scarring issue is likely even more of an issue. She really ought to see a doctor. I dont know how I get involved in some of these things. I guess a part of it is projection of my own self-reliance.

Appreciate your input. Actually is a girl so the scarring issue is likely even more of an issue. She really ought to see a doctor. I dont know how I get involved in some of these things. I guess a part of it is projection of my own self-reliance.

We all get ourselves involved in these things sometimes.;)

I didn't realize it was a female. Ignore the accutane suggestion in that case. Benzoyl peroxide is otc but she'll need an Rx for Retin-A. If benzoyl peroxide doesn't work, a visit to the doctor for a proper examination and treatment is the right course of action, IMO.

CBS

Last edited:

Sponsored Links

Latest posts