AnimalMass' Favorite Routines....

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by AnimalMass, Dec 18, 2004.

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

Well, I thought I would start a thread with all my favorite routines in them.

In all honesty, they are all very, very similar in that they work muscle groups two or more times per week, utilize loading/unloading schemes, are focused around heavy compound movements, and have lots of high intensity work plus "gut busting" sets.

Here we go....

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

In my opinion, the best program for a wide range of athletes, from beginners to elite level athletes, women, men, anyone....

The 5X5:

Monday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (same weight)
    Benching 5x5 (flat, close grip or regular)(same weight)
    JS Rows 5x5 (same weight)
    Accessory (low volume triceps and abs)

Wednesday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (reduced 15-20% from Monday) or Front Squats 5x5
    Standing Military Press 5x5 (same weight)
    Deadlifts 5x5 (same weight) (if you pull 2.5x bodyweight do 3x5)
    Pull ups 5x5 (use weight if you need it)
    Accessory (biceps and abs)

Friday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (working up each set)
    Benching 5x5 (flat or incline)(same weight)
    Rows 5x5 (same weight)

The idea is simple: pick a weight you can do for 5 sets of 5, and if you complete all the sets and reps, then next time bump the weight up 5 or 10 pounds.

Before beginning the program it is important to establish 1 rep maxes for the squat, bench press, military press, and deadlift, and 5 rep maxes for the squat, bench press, rows, military press, and deadlifts.

The first week, it is important to begin very conservatively and prepare to set new 5 rep maxes on about the 4th-6th week, rather than the 1st or 2nd week. It will take some time for your body to grow accustomed to training this way, and in the beginning youre gonna be sore as hell.

If you get all the sets and reps, then you increase the weight (5-10lbs) for the next week, and if not, you keep the weight the same.

Try and set new 5 rep maxes on weeks 4-6 for beginners , and weeks 3-4 for veterans and then move to a 3x3 for 2x per week.

Run the 3x3 for 2-3 weeks, drop the squatting frequency to 2x per week (or even every 4-5 days if you need the additional recovery), and try setting records on the 4th or 5th workout. (Also, weight increase are the important thing here).

Then cycle down to 1 set of 3 for 2 or 3 workouts, and maybe even go for a max single at the end.

So basically what you get is a 4-6 week prep phase, followed by a 3-5 week peaking phase.

One point during the initial phase where 5x5 is being used you MUST stick to the required volume and frequency. Back off the weight if you have to, but always get in all 5 sets of 5.

---5X5---
    Monday: Squats, Benching, Rows
    Weds: Squats, Military Presses, Deadlifts, Chins
    Friday: Squats, Benching, Rows

Courtesy of bill starr bill starr, the greatest strength coach who ever lived, popularized this in the 70's with his great book, The Strongest Shall Survive, which was aimed at strength training for football. I believe he had essentually two different programs which both are 5 sets of 5. The first, which is more suitable for beginners, is to simply do 5 sets of 5 with similar weight jumps between each set so that your last set is your top weight. When you get all 5 on the last set, bump all your weights up 5 or 10lbs. Example for squat... 185 for 5, 225 for 5, 275 for 5, 315 for 5, 365 for 5. If you get 365 for 5, move all weights up. This is especially good for someone who is just learning a particular exercise like the squat, because the amount of practice with light but increasing weights is a good way to practice form.

For more advanced lifters, he advocated a warmup, then 5 sets of 5 with a set weight. For example, the same athlete used in the other example may do 135 for 5, 185 for 5, 225 for 3, 275 for 2, 315 for 1, then 350 for 5 sets of 5. When successfull with all 25 reps at 350lbs, bump the weight up the next workout by 5 or 10lbs.

This is not outdated, and is a good program for gaining strength. Many elite athletes still use it during at least part of the year. I in fact do 5 sets of 5 on squatting for 4 weeks as part of an 8 or 10 week training cycle. Personally, i do it 3 times a week, but most people will probably make better progress doing it 2 times per week, or even doing version 1 once a week, and version 2 once a week.

In any event i described a system in a post a while back that goes something like this:
    Monday use the heaviest weight you can for all 5 sets (same weight each set)---- in other words when you get all 5 sets of 5 reps up the weight (most workouts you will get 3 or 4 sets of 5- and maybe your last one will be for 3 or 4 reps)

Wednesday use 10-20% less weight- in other words if you used 200lbs on monday use 160-180lbs on wednesday- actual amount depending on your recovery

Friday work up to a max set of 5-

In other words lets say that your best ever set of 5 is 215lbs and you used 200lbs on monday for 5 sets and 170lbs on wednesday. On friday your workout might be like this 95 for 5 135 for 5 175 for 5 200 for 5 then attempt 220 for your last set of 5.

This tends to work better as a long term program than doing the same thing 3 times a week. On exercises where you only do them once a week like deadlift you can just do the 5 sets of 5 like i described. On monday on exercises that you are only doing twice (rows) you could do both exercises like the monday workout or lighten one of them depending on your recovery ability. Be conservative with the weight when you start- that is important.

Also i have used this program VERY often with athletes and it IS result producing. However many of your gains will show up after you use it for 4-6 weeks and you switch to training a bit less frequently and lower the reps and volume. However this is one program i have had a LOT of success with. In fact i rarely if ever use it with athletes who are at the top of their weight class because it causes too much weight gain unless you severely restrict your food.

"i do squats only. however i also do alot of other pulling motions off the floor, and these also work the legs. as far as squats monday 5 sets of five with a set weight wendsday, 5 sets of five with a weight that is 10-15% less than monday friday, work up with sets of five, going for your best set of five heres an example of how we do this...

lets say a person has a previous best of 5 sets of five weight with 300lbs, and has done one set of five with 325lbs for this person i may start with mondays weight of 285lbs, wendsdays weight of 255lbs, and on friday work up to a set of five with 310lbs, however if this person never trained this way before i would be much more conservative, more on that later then make small jumps each week, maybe week 2 use 295, 260, and 320 for the three workouts, week three use maybe 305, 265, and 330...and so on.

however keep this in mind, if on monday you cannot do all five sets of five keep the weight the same the next week, and on friday if you fail on a weight you choose keep the weight the same the next week

now, heres a few more hints, if you are not use to this sort of training and know you are gonna be sore as hell the first couple weeks, simply start more conservatively with the weight. if you are use to this sort of training, you can be a bit more agrressive from the start.

also as the weeks go by, dont increase wensdays workout as much as the other two. also some people are able to handle a heavier wensday workout than others. i have had athletes who have reacted best if wensdays workout was only 5% less than mondays weight. i have seen others who needed 25% reduction, however the average seems to be 10-15%, maybe if your new to this training start with 25% reduction then next time try 10-15% reduction.

with people new to this program i usually use it for 6-7 weeks, because we start more conservatively and it takes longer to get the benefits. with people who have done it before i generally go with 4 weeks at a time and go with setting records on monday and friday of week 3, week 4 is to try even more weight if week 3 was succesful, if it wasnt, then try record weights again. after this routine is over, we drop the frequency to about two workouts a week or even a bit less , and drop volume usually to 3 sets of 3.

the first week, we use the same weight as on the last monday of the 5 sets of five workout. this helps with recuperation. then, as in before we add weight each workout, this time aiming to break records on the fourth or fifth 3 sets of 3 workout.

sometimes we cycle on down to 1 set of three for two or three workouts, other times we have an offloading week then start with the five sets of five again.

i proably left some things out, i always seem to. however, although there are other programs that i am sure are effective, i have used alot of leg training programs and this one i know works, i have used this routine on probably over 100 athletes with success all around. it is not unusual for an athlete to increase their leg strength 100lbs in the full squat in the first six months i work with them.

now i know of other people who have tried this program on my recomendation in the track and field world, and not have the success i have had. however they always make the same mistakes, either starting on week one with max weights and not taking a week or two or even three to work up to max weights, OR, they start in on the 3 sets of 3 with too heavy a weight... you have to adjust the volume. dont be in too much of a hurry.

be content to set records on week 3, not week 1. well thats about it, but if your patient and do it right, it will be effective."....wow that was a mouthful ok, that is what i was talking about, although in that post i didnt explain a couple of things that i would like to now.

as you see from reading that, were talking about 4-6 weeks basically of a prep phase, and 3-5 weeks of a peaking phase, so its not really an 8 week program all the time. every time i write this program out, its a bit different, thats because its not a set in stone thing, but an example of a training philosophy... and it can and is altered in the details for individuals. however, there is one important point concerning what can be altered and still get the desired effects.

during the initial phase where 5 sets of 5 are used, you must stick to the written workout frequency and volume. no matter what, do the required sets 3 times a week. if you feel like your really dieing, then cut the weight back. but in the initial portion, the volume and frequency shouldnt be messed with. now, when you go to the sets of 3, you need to begin with the weight specified, and go up each workout, and you should be fairly rested each workout.

that means that you MAY be able to squat 2 times a week at this point, however you may need to squat once every 4 or 5 days, depends on the individual. also, 3 sets of 3 is a good volume for the first week of this phase, but often people react better to 2 or even one top set per workout during the second, third, or 4th weeks of this phase. during this phase, its the opposite of the first phase, he weight increases are the important thing.

take enough rest between workouts and cut the workout volume enough to assure that you are recovered enough to raise the weight. hope this clarifies a bit. the 3 day a week program i wrote was an example of a basic 3 day a week program for a relative beginner. i meant it to be done without any other assistance work except maybe abs. of course, an advanced lifter would probably not do that workout exactly as written.

as far as the "peaking" part of the squat program, i usually use this with shot-putters and athletes like that, and dont neccessarily do it with a program like the 3 day a week program, although if you were doing that and wanted to "peak" a particular exercise, it would work.

basically, if you are not going to try to peak strength, you need to be more carefull when doing the 5 sets of 5 three days a weeek, and not get the weights up so heavy that you start to overtrain... a more gradual increase in weighs is called for, and you must use a little common sense and not push so hard you need rest... when trying to peak you just push and keep pushing on the last couple of weeks of the 5 by 5... you push right to the brink ov overtraining basically, then back the volume and frequency off with the sets of 3.

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

OK, here's the one I'm known for....

DUAL FACTOR HYPERTROPHY TRAINING:

Loading Weeks: (2-3 weeks)

Upper Body Workout One: (Monday)
    1. Barbell Bench Press: (flat or incline, primarily wide grip, 4x10 with the same weight for each set)
    2. Dumbell Press (flat, incline, or decline for 3x8-12 same weight)
    3. Horizontal Lat Work (heavy barbell rows, 5x5)
    4. Shoulders/ Traps (emphasis on medial delts - shrugs, high pulls, dumbell cleans, lateral raise complex, face pulls pick 1-2 exercises for 4-6 sets total)
    5. Tricep Extension (skull crushers, French presses, JM Presses, rolling dumbbell extensions, Tate Presses, pushdowns pick one exercise for 3x10-12)
    6. Biceps (1-2 exercises, 3-5 sets total)

Lower Body Workout One: (Tuesday)
    1. Heavy Squats (butt to ankles, 5x5 working up each set to a 5rm, or try for a 3rm or even an occasional 1rm)
    2. Goodmornings (3x5 same weight or work up to 5rm)
    3. Pullthroughs (3-5 sets of 10-12, some arched back, some rounded back)
    4. Glute Ham Raises or Hamstring Curls followed by Leg Extensions (2 sets each)
    -or-
    4. Leg Presses (3-4 sets of 10-12) or- Occasionally a Hack Squat (for 3-4x10-12)
    5. Weighted Abs/ Obliques (5x10 total weighted situps, ab pulldowns on high cable or with bands, dumbbell side bends, etc.)

Upper Body Workout Two: (Thursday)
    1. Flat Barbell Bench Press (close or regular grip heavy work 1rm, 3rm, 5rm, or 5x5)
    2. Board Press/ Floor Press (5rm usually start where you left off on bench press)
    3. Overhead Press (Standing military press, push press, dumbbell overhead press various rep schemes 5rm, 5x5, 4x10)
    4. Dips (2-3 sets)
    5. Vertical Lat Work (lat pull-downs or pull-ups 5+ sets if on lat pull-down use different bars and work different planes)
    6. Triceps Extension (skull crushers, French presses, JM Presses, rolling dumbbell extensions, Tate Presses, pushdowns pick one exercise for 3x10-12)
    7. Biceps (1-2 exercises, 3-5 sets total)

Lower Body Workout Two: (Friday)
    1. Lighter Squats (back squats or front squats for 5x5 or 4x10 with the same weight)
    2. Deadlifts (conventional deadlifts or deadlifts standing on 2-3 box, mat, or 100lb plate - 1rm, 3rm, 5rm, or 3x5 same weight, )
    3. Pullthroughs (3-5 sets of 10-12, some arched back, some rounded back)
    4. Glute Ham Raises or Hamstring Curls followed by Leg Extensions (2 sets each)
    5. Weighted Hyperextensions (2-3x10-12)
    6. Weighted Abs/ Obliques (5x10 total weighted sit-ups, ab pull-downs on high cable or with bands, dumbbell side bends, etc.)

For unloading weeks (1 week), reduce volume drastically by completing only the first two exercises on lower body days, and the first three exercises on upper body days. Slightly reduce intensity/load (with regards to one rep max), and keep frequency the same (four workouts per week.)

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

DUAL FACTOR STRENGTH TRAINING (RAW GRITTY STRENGTH)

OK, for those of you who's primary goal is just raw, gritty strength, then this is a slight variation of the DFHT-Revisited program.

Also, as with DFHT, if you can't squat AT LEAST 1.5x your bodyweight Olympic Style, butt sitting on your heels, then you need to be doing JS's 5x5 program coupled with his 8 week squatting program (they work together). Over the last couple years I have become good personal friends with JS and have had the opportunity to train with him. The 5x5 is hands down the best mass and strength builder for beginner to intermediates out there. Even most of JS's elite level athletes and many of us elite level powerlifters use the 5x5 for some time during the year to get back to building slabs of mass and give us a break from the really heavy stuff we do. It's just a good, solid, unmatched program for beginners to upper level intermediates who desperately need to pack on mass and get much stronger in the core lifts.

Now, when you get to the point when you can squat double your bodyweight raw Olympic Style ATF, then you really won't be able to handle squatting 3 times per week anymore because the overall volume and load is increased so much. So, both JS and myself advocated dropping the squatting to twice per week; one heavy and one lighter (but still really hard work). This is where DFHT comes into play.

So, to reiterate:

1) If you can't easily squat 1.5x your bodyweight Olympic style, all the way down, then you need to be doing the 5x5.

2) Once you can easily squat 1.5x your bodyweight Olympic style and your goal is primarily strength and secondary size, then you are ready for DFST.

3) However, a major issue with DFHT is loading and unloading phases. The fact is, until you become an upper level intermediate lifter, there is little need for planned loading and unloading phases. When you get to the point where you can squat 2x+ your bodyweight and bench 1.5x your bodyweight, then you might begin experimenting with loading and unloading weeks.

4) Regardless of what program you are on, (be it 5x5, DFST, or something else) you need to be eating;... ALOT. When mass is the goal, eating is as important as the training. Eat every 2-3 hours and get plenty of protein in every meal.

OK, here is the program/split:

Upper Body Workout One:
    1./// Barbell Bench Press: (flat or incline, normal grip pinkies on rings, 5x5, 5rm, 3rm, or 1rm)
    2./// Board Press/ Floor Press (1-5rm usually start where you left off on bench press)
    3./// Dumbell Press (flat, incline, or decline for 3x8-10 same weight)
    4./// Horizontal Lat Work (Barbell JS Rows, 5x5)
    5./// Shoulders/ Traps (emphasis on medial delts - Shrugs, High Pulls, Dumbell Cleans, Lateral Raises, Shoulder Horn, Face Pulls pick 1-2 exercises for 4-6 sets total)
    6./// Tricep Extension (skull crushers, French presses, JM Presses, rolling dumbbell extensions, Tate Presses, pushdowns pick one exercise for 3x10-12)
    7./// Biceps (1-2 exercises, 3-5 sets total)

Lower Body Workout One:
    1./// Snatches/Overhead Squats (snatches 1rm or 3x3 @ 75%, then overhead squat to a heavy single)
    2./// Max Effort Movement: Olympic Squats, Low Box Squats, Front Squats, Deadlifts, Deadlifts off a 2-3 box, mats, or 100lb plates) pick one exercise and work up to a 1 rep max.
    3./// Goodmornings (3x5 same weight or work up to 5rm)
    4./// Pullthroughs (3-5 sets of 10-12, some arched back, some rounded back)
    -or-
    4./// Glute Ham Raises (3-5 sets of 10-12)
    5./// Weighted Hyperextensions (2-3x10-12)
    6./// Weighted Abs/ Obliques (5x10 total weighted situps, ab pulldowns on high cable or with bands, dumbbell side bends, etc.)

Upper Body Workout Two:
    1./// Speed Bench: Flat Bench Press, 9 sets of 3 reps w/ approx 60% of raw max, (3 sets close grip, 3 sets regular grip, 3 sets wide grip) eccentric and concentric should be as fast as possible push bar as hard as you can all the way to lockout as if you were doing a max weight for every attempt. addition of accommodating resistance can be used; i.e. chains or bands added to the bar.
    2./// Close Grip Bench Press (pinkies 2 inside rings heavy work 1rm, 3rm, or 5rm)
    3./// Overhead Press (Standing military press or push press 1-5rm, or 3-5x5)
    4./// Dips (2 sets)
    5./// Vertical Lat Work (Lat Pulldowns or Pullups 5+ sets if on lat pulldown use different bars and work different planes)
    6./// Tricep Extension (skull crushers, French presses, JM Presses, rolling dumbbell extensions, Tate Presses, pushdowns pick one exercise for 3x10-12)
    7./// Biceps (1-2 exercises, 3-5 sets total)

Lower Body Workout Two:
    1./// Cleans (1rm or 3x3 @ 75%) drop low to catch the weight and front squat it up
    2./// Olympic Back Squats (Ultra deep ATF - 5x5 w/ same weight, or occasionally work up to a 5rm, also use accommodating resistance approximately every other week)
    3./// Speed Deadlifts (conventional deadlifts for 6 singles with 60% of max deadlift. Do a single, wait about 45 seconds or a minute and then do another single for 6 singles. Concentrate on speed and form.
    4./// Pullthroughs (3-5 sets of 10-12, some arched back, some rounded back)
    -or-
    4./// Glute Ham Raises (3-5 sets of 10-12)
    5./// Weighted Hyperextensions (2-3x10-12 )
    6./// Weighted Abs/ Obliques (5x10 total weighted situps, ab pulldowns on high cable or with bands, dumbbell side bends, etc.)

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

Beginner Powerlifting Program (My Westside Tweak)
    Max Effort Squat:
    1) Max Effort Movement: (Squat or Deadlift Variation:1-3rm, followed by rep work; ex.2x3@80%)
    2) Supplemental: Some sort of pull (deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, rack pulls, 1-5rm)
    3) Accessory: (hamstrings, lower back, abs pick a handful of exercises for 2-4 sets of 10 reps each)
    Glute Ham Raises
    Pullthroughs
    Hyperextensions
    Reverse Hypers
    Lat Pulldowns
    Hip Abductions
    Abs/Obs
    4) Sled Dragging

Max Effort Bench:
    1) Max Effort Movement: (Bench Variation) 1rm, followed by rep work; ex.2x3@80%)
    2) Supplemental: Triceps (Board/Floor Presses, 1-3rm)
    3) Accessories: (shoulders, lats, triceps, biceps)
    Overhead Work
    Barbell Rows
    Dumbell Tricep Extensions
    Biceps

Speed Squat Day:
    1) Speed Box Squats: 12 sets of 2 reps with 60% best box squat. Very fast and good form. at the end work up some if you feel good. 60 sec rest between sets
    2) Supplemental:Goodmornings: 5rm
    3) Accessory: (hamstrings, lower back, abs pick a handful of exercises for 2-4 sets of 10 reps each)
    Glute Ham Raises
    Pullthroughs
    Hyperextensions
    Reverse Hypers
    Lat Pulldowns
    Hip Abductions
    Abs/Obs
    4) Sled Dragging

Speed Bench Day:
    1) Speed Bench: 9 sets of 3 reps with 60% best bench press. Very fast and good form 60 sec rest between sets
    2) Supplemental: Close grip bench for a 5rm
    3) Accessories: (medial delts, lats, triceps, biceps)
    Pull-ups or Lat Pulldowns
    Dumbell Tricep Extensions
    Rear & Medial Delts: Shrugs, High Pulls, Dumbell Cleans, Lateral Raises, Face Pulls (pick 1-2 exercises for 4-6 sets total)
    Biceps

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

For those of you guys who want to know how I train personally....

This is what I do when I'm less than 12 weeks out from a meet...

BTW, these are loading week - every 3rd week is a deload where volume is cut significantly - no full gear squatting or pulling is done on unloading weeks.

ME Squat Day:
    1) Full Gear Squats (one week straight weight to heavy single or 1rm, next week usually done with bands for a 1-3 rep max)
    2) Full Gear Deadlifts (one week up to heavy single or 1rm, next week 8 sets of singles at approx. 60-75% for speed)
    3) Glute Ham Raises supersetted with banded hip abductions
    4) Reverse Hypers, Hyperextensions or Pullthroughs
    5) Abs/Obs
    6) Calves

Raw/Speed Bench Day:
    1) Speed Bench for 9 sets of 3 with or without bands, working up fairly often
    -or-
    1) Raw Bench to a max or 315 for reps.
    2) Low Board Press (1-3rm)
    3) Standing Military Press (5rm)
    4) Dumbell Bench Presses (2-3x10)
    5) Lat Pulldowns (5-8 sets of 10)
    6) Biceps/Triceps (low volume)

Raw Squat Day:
    1) Deep Pause Squats (1-5rm)
    2) Rack Pulls or GMs (1-3rm)
    3) Glute Ham Raises supersetted with banded hip abductions
    4) Reverse Hypers, Hyperextensions or Pullthroughs
    5) Abs/Obs
    6) Calves

Max Effort Bench Day:
    1) Raw High Board (1-3rm)
    2) Shirt work (1-3rm)
    3) Rack Lockouts (1-3rm)
    4) Incline Bench or Close Grip (2x10)
    5) Barbell Rows 5x5
    6) Rear & Medial Delt work (Shrugs, High Pulls, Dumbell Cleans, Lateral Raises, Face Pulls (pick 1-2 exercises for 4-6 sets total)
    7)Biceps/Triceps (Low Volume)

J0321

J0321 Junior Member

Thank you sir. *warms up printer*

kenneth

kenneth Junior Member

"In my opinion, the best program for a wide range of athletes, from beginners to elite level athletes, women, men, anyone....

The 5X5:

Monday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (same weight)
    Benching 5x5 (flat, close grip or regular)(same weight)
    JS Rows 5x5 (same weight)

Wednesday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (reduced 15-20% from Monday) or Front Squats 5x5
    Standing Military Press 5x5 (same weight)
    Deadlifts 5x5 (same weight) (if you pull 2.5x bodyweight do 3x5)
    Pull ups 5x5 (use weight if you need it)
    Accessory (biceps and abs)

Friday:

Olympic Squats 5x5 (working up each set)
    Benching 5x5 (flat or incline)(same weight)
    Rows 5x5 (same weight)
    Accessory (low volume triceps and abs)"

Okay, just one question.. on friday i have been doing the squats working up to a max, the bench working up to a max, and the rows working up to a max, but as it says here it should be same weight for 5x5 on benching and rowing.. should i change what i have been doing for the passed 3 weeks? thanks.

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

No - it's fine the way you are doing it. I actually do what you are doing when I run the 5x5. I keep the weight the same on Monday for bench and rows and I work up to 5 rep maxes on both of them on Friday.

Also, I notice you keep saying "working up to a max." You mean that you are working up to a 5 rep max right? Not a 1 rep max. - Usually as a powerlifter if I say I'm working up to a max, then it means I'm working up to a 1 rep max.

Matt

kenneth

kenneth Junior Member

thanks AM. glad to hear I'm doing it right then. Yes, when i say that I mean working up to a maximum weight for 5 reps.

mikie_03

mikie_03 Junior Member

dont want to sound stupid or anything but why do the same weight how do you gain if you stick with the same weight

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

It's the same weight for all the sets. If you get all your reps, then the next week you bump up the weight.

Pyramiding rep schemes are crap and for beginners only.

Matt

Freddy

Freddy Junior Member

Exactly. Hypertrophy is all about loading. The loading is greater when you do 5x5 then when you work up to a max set of 5. Besides, if you're that concerned about weight, it shouldn't be too much less than a lot of you can do a max set of 5 with anyway, considering most of you guys should have a lot more anaerobic endurance strength than limit strength.

cobra75007

cobra75007 Junior Member

Don't call me an idiot, but how efffective is this with Machine weights? My WO partner is my girl and she's a little thing at 105. And if she had insurance on me, I'm sure she would watch me die.

cobra75007

cobra75007 Junior Member

What are JS Rows?

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

Machines are worthless. And JS rows are explained in detail in the sticky thread dedicated to JohnSmith.

Matt

bronzebeefcake

bronzebeefcake Junior Member

Awesome post..........So you suggest the 5x5 followed by the dfht?

AnimalMass

AnimalMass Junior Member

if hypertrophy is what you are after, yes.

Matt

GeaR_and_SauCe

GeaR_and_SauCe Junior Member

dfht is a lot of work. i don't think im ready for that yet. i'm starting a strict 5x5 as stated above starting monday. im sick of the meger gains i am achieving from my meger routine.

GeaR_and_SauCe

GeaR_and_SauCe Junior Member

I started the 5 x 5 routine and I must say that I am starting to understand the whole concept. 5 x 5 is about going into the gym and manhandling as much wieght as you possible can. Its about grabbing pounds of iron and throwing them around without any help. Its the difference between lifting like a man and lifting like everyone else in the gym. I had so many veins popping out of my forehead, I could have spelled out an entire sentence. This is by far the most intense workout I have ever done. Thanks to the people here for putting me onto it.

© 1997–2016 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.