Anxiety Medications. What has worked for you?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by hurricane, Jun 5, 2019.

1. hurricane

hurricane Member

What's up guys?
    As alot of you know i take xanax as needed for panic attacks stemming from issues in the service.
    Today my GP prescribed Buspar for me. Hoping i can eventually come off xanax for good.
    Does anyone have experience with this med? I'm skeptical because from what i have read it seems it's more for generalized anxiety and not panic attacks.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

My wife needed a combination of several, with a small dose of ridilin being the change that made everything click for her. I can get a list if you’d like.

hurricane likes this.
  3. hurricane

hurricane Member

That would be great. I know you're busy with your prep so whenever you get a chance.
    Very much appreciated.

4. Havah

Havah Member

CBT is the first line treatement of panic disorder
    Id use a classic isrs over buspar but buspar is an ok choice

k0rkscrew and hurricane like this.
  5. hurricane

hurricane Member

I've done countless hours of CBT with private therapists and through the VA.
    Many times i can "talk" myself out of a panic attack.
    There are times though when it's a runaway train. Not sure Buspar is the right choice but I'll find out.
    Thanks.

Havah likes this.
  6. Havah

Havah Member

Ah awsome then
    Let us know, buspar has its advantages and has around the same 2-4 weeks delay of action isrs usually have, it really comes down to prescriber and patients preference

hurricane likes this.
  7. k0rkscrew

k0rkscrew Member

I was on/tried quite a few meds. Seroquil, Ciprelex, Paxil, Lithium, Trazodone, Clanazopam, ect ect ect... Getting off the meds and CBT was the best decision I made. Obviously meds have their place and this is a personal experience. Had Major depression, severe anxiety (since very young age) which in turn led to OCD behaviors and Tics. I kept a log of how I felt and what happened or what I was thinking about when having panic attacks. Obviously drugs helped numb everything but made everything 10x worse when I got clean. It is truly amazing how our minds work. Positive reassurance and attitude make a huge difference, along with support from friends/family/groups or whatever Avenue one has.
    "What we think about we become", "Thought in the mind hath made us, what we are by thought was wrought and built", "As he thinketh in his heart, so is he".
    Even putting myself in stressful situations and afterwards saying "See! Your ok, nothing bad happened, your still alive!" Over time the mind will think of those situations as the new norm. Was by no means easy and took a long time but I now feel everything is completely manageable and experience a "normal" level of stress as anyone else(even tho it cant be compared but you know what I mean I hope). Again, PERSONAL experience as everyone is different and has different needs. Meds DEFINATLEY have their place. Sorry I didnt really stick to topic and suggest any meds Haha. It is still up to Individual to make changes and meds are, for the most part, there to AID in the process. Wish you all the best, anxiety is no joke and can be hard for others to understand if they have not experienced it themselves.

LeoTC, Reno, Heynow and 1 other person like this.
  8. Reno

Reno Member

after an older panic attack and severe anxiety since then, doc insisted to take xanax. i never took it. i prefered to combat this with my mind. Sometimes is rough, others are easy. But i find myself sometimes get severe anxiety and thinking too much, try to blame aas or anything else. sometimes i wish i had a pill just swallow it and go zen. any suggestions? :D

9. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

Could not resist ...

Capture.PNG

10. hurricane

hurricane Member

Michael Scally MD likes this.
  11. TX_Hempknight

TX_Hempknight Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Is cannabis an option for you? It's what I do but I'm biased. Lmao

hurricane likes this.
  12. hurricane

hurricane Member

Yes i smoke and it helps.

TX_Hempknight likes this.
  13. TX_Hempknight

Yes sir. I know it probably doesnt help while you're working, but on your own time, like myself, it helps. Hope you figure something out bud.

hurricane likes this.
  14. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

I'd second just smoking a little budd for stress in general. But I've had it bring me back around to anxiety more than a couple times.

That shit always sucks. :(

TX_Hempknight and hurricane like this.
  15. 88GENERAL88

88GENERAL88 Member

I feel for you buddy. Problem is that nothing, and I repeat nothing will ever take the place of xanax if you have become used to it. Personally, I can’t touch the shot or be with In 100ft knowing you have it. Major trigger for me. Klonopin was always handled my anxiety bunch better than xanax. I just like xannies because it instantly killed my stress, but is habit forming because of its half life, and what happens when the body gets used to having it in the system. If it was prescribed the way it was intended. Which should only be for cases of panic. And kept the scripts to 10days and prescribed something at the same time for the anxiety I don’t think it would be such a problem.

I have used buspar, and although it can be effective, your problem lies more in the fact that xanax has become your bread and butter go to. Not a bad thing brother. It just happens and faster than we like to admit. I don’t take anything anymore. Besides gear, and vitamins. I just decided I didn’t want to be a slave to anything any longer. You may not be an addict per sW. I am not say you are. I really feel for you. Yes buspar is good and yes there 30mg ladders look like 2mg xanax bars. Other than that it’s not going to replace the relief xanax provides.

Tinytim and hurricane like this.
  16. TX_Hempknight

definately, some strains will have me pacing and checking outside the windows for about an hour. Lmao. I try to keep it to indica dominant strains as it doesnt make it as bad, for me at least.

88GENERAL88 and hurricane like this.
  17. hurricane

hurricane Member

Perfectly put. I get 30 xanax a month at 1mg. Nothing kills a panic attack like xanax.
    I'm glad to hear buspar worked for yourself. I'm on day 11 of taking it. Don't really notice a difference yet.
    I've been prescribed xanax for over 3 years at this point. It started out at 90 a month!
    The thing is i don't think I'll ever be able to completely come off. Xanax is like my security blanket. I know it's there if shit gets bad. Does that make me addicted? I'm not sure. I can say I've never abused them or taken more then needed.
    A perfect example of my use is what happened yesterday. I'm hiking my dog in the woods and panic just gripped me. All i could think about was how this is a perfect spot for the enemy to attack me. I couldn't breathe. Heart started racing. Was legit worried i was going to drop dead.
    My only saving grace was that i brought half of a xanax and took it. I just sat on the ground crying until the xanax helped. Which it did.
    Panic attacks suck.
    Thanks for the reply.

TX_Hempknight likes this.
  18. hurricane

hurricane Member

Will not touch any sativa. Only indica.

Sdryx and TX_Hempknight like this.
  19. 88GENERAL88

88GENERAL88 Member

It is such a fine line at what makes some one an addict but I personally define an addict as someone who becomes physically/ and mentally attached to something to allow them the ability to escape reality. When the drug is taken away and there are life threatening withdrawals then yeah you have become addicted, but there is always going to be a withdrawal anytime you take away something you are used to taking and even doing. I would get withdrawal is I wasn’t able to get into the gym for a week. Pure and simple. But when the use negatively effects the user then that’s the problem. Someone that doesn’t get coffee 2bdays in a row, trust and believe they are getting withdrawal. If you aren’t crushing your pills, and snorting them, or taking 3 when 1 will do. I think you are probably okay. And yes we build a tolerance to it. However, it’s our job to control it best as possible. Someone that eats a scoop of ice cream every night, and the 1 scoop turns into a bowl over time, and causes that person to become overweight. That is a problem. The one scoop wasn’t a problem but it’s when we take more than is needed, and health is effected it’s an issue. Sorry about the rant.

Tinytim, HIGHRISK and hurricane like this.
  20. HIGHRISK

HIGHRISK Member

Buspar didn’t do shit for me. Literally nothing. I don’t need daily meds fortunately so I keep Xanax on hand for bad days or panic attacks. I’ve fried cbd and list of natural bs. Nothing has worked. Good luck

hurricane likes this.