Anybody here do Pendlay or Kroc rows for mass?

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by johntt44, Sep 20, 2019.

1. johntt44

johntt44 Member

Just thinking of incorporating one of these heavy lifts into my back day. Anybody have any experience or make any gains using these? Thanks....

2. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

I row every day.

I've actually taken extensive breaks from DL just to focus on PR and Dead Rows. Found that it usually results in a good jump when I begin DLing again.

3. i do bent rows every Thursday, but i use an underhand grip, Dorian Yates style.

MindlessWork likes this.
  4. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

My shoulder day row, love the way they hit posterior delts. No way I'd take them over two plates though. Potential Bicep tears sound fucking horrible. o_O

Aside from using them as a shoulder accessory, why do you eschew a more tabletop position and overhand grip?

MisterSuperGod likes this.
  5. johntt44

johntt44 Member

I've tried the Yates rows before. They feel awkward as hell to me.

6. johntt44

johntt44 Member

I'm switching up my program. 4 days on, 1 off. Chest, back, legs, shoulders and arms, off. I bought a sled about 6mos ago. I'm going to be pushing that motherfucker up n down my cul de sac for conditioning/cardio.

7. Overhand just didn't feel right to me. At one point i was alternating grips every other set, but the underhand grip just feels like it hits the lats harder for me.

8. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

Fair enough, I do a lot of cable based stuff with a focus on BB for strength. Most of the cable movements I wind up using an underhand grip.

Seems almost counter intuitive given the way we lock them down on DL's. But damned if I'm not feeling it.

Sleds are awesome.

Tie a cable on and do row from one end to the other. Straight drag it back no arms.

Started doing that with ours out back, entire length of the strip mall. Even just three / four plates is fucking murder. Four rounds out and back I'm flat out. Lol.

9. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I did them for 2 plates once and underhand as I got greedy. End result was pulling my left arm totally apart as right hand slipped off the bar as it was real sweaty. When I let go then my left arm snapped back into place. Was a painful experience as I strained ALL the tendons in that arm and it still gives me some issues.

Now I do them with no more than 1 wheel.

10. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

Christ.

I can't ditch them, my shoulders would hate me. But that's why I dont top two plates. Buck and a quarter for 15-20 reps is actually my sweet spot.

Even Yates is like, "Yeah, prolly wasn't the greatest idea in retrospect." Lol.

MisterSuperGod and MindlessWork like this.
  11. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Going way lighter was better for the underhanded rows. I learned the hard way not to get too greedy.

12. Test_Subject

Test_Subject Member

It's better for either grip if you're using BB rows for mass, honestly. Going super heavy encourages cheating with your legs and humping the weight up. That's fine for overall strength and as a deadlift accessory, but not so great if you're using the rows to target your back.

MisterSuperGod and MindlessWork like this.
  13. Iron Vett

Iron Vett Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I like Pendalay rows. I feel that the releasing of the tension of the muscles when the weight rests on the floor, adds a different feel rather than just doing bent over rows

MindlessWork and johntt44 like this.
  14. Ironlord

Ironlord Member

Been doing Pendlays for the last year. That full stop at the bottom makes me feel it on each row.
    Had to lighten the weight when I started doing them because no more momentum, but I'm back to 225 for sets.
    I credit this movement for the massive change in my back thickness.

15. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Kroc rows are a great way to end a back day, especially off a cable. If you’re doing Yates rows, i encourage doing them in the smith machine, overhand just outside shoulder width grip. The key isn’t to drive the bar up but to pull your elbows back.

16. Mayne

Mayne Member

Pendlay row would translate into power but not nearly that much into hypertrophy. One of the biggest keys to making the row damage your muscle is to pause when you are extended with your shoulders protracted, which you are ignoring while doing pendlay or any other dead stop row.

Kroc row is okay.

johntt44 likes this.
  17. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

^ along these lines, I think you’ll find you’re limited by your posture and lower back endurance and not your actual row. That’s not a great factor for hypertrophy. It is inherently an extremely poorly braced movement. Great for athletics and body power, not great for growth.

johntt44 likes this.
  18. CAswole

CAswole Member

I love Kroc rows. Even bought a special rowing handle to go really heavy. My gym only goes to 150lbs. The handle I bought can hold 3 45s on each side!:D

johntt44 likes this.