Anyone know how I can get a prescription for Cortef for Adrenal Fatigue?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by htownlonghorn, Jul 16, 2011.

htownlonghorn

htownlonghorn Junior Member

I've ran the gambit with regular MD's and they say I'm just fine and my cortisol levels are normal even though they are not. It seems like most physicians only prescribe Cortef if you have extremely low cortisol levels (ie Addison's Disease). I've taken a full-day adrenal saliva test and my p.m. average cortisol (1.25 nM) and DHEA (2.9 ng/mL) levels came back low, which would indicate I'm in the worst state of adrenal fatigue. I've been dealing with this for the past five years now and after reading a massive amount of literature on the subject, I know my struggles are related to adrenal fatigue. I have every symptom on the list. I'm in the stage where I'm running on pure adrenaline, which causes anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, etc.

I know of natural products such as Isocort, but I would much rather administer prescription cortisol until my adrenal glands are functioning normally again. Anyone know of a doctor I could present my test results to who would actually prescribe me with what I need? I live in Houston.

Thanks in advance!

Nordic11

Nordic11 Junior Member

Dr. Mariano in San Diego is regarded as one of the best in the country in this area. You have to fly in for the first visit but, by all accounts, you won't be sorry.

CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue Active Member

Do you have any serum cortisol labs?

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

One needs to be properly evaluated. The first thing to look at is what is the pathology of your symptoms? Could correcting other factors resolve your issue rather then being on cortef? Cortef for me was a highly psychologically addicted drug and would never go back on it again.. Others its a God sent. I took it for three years to due to the source of my stress which .was dealing with a dysfunctional and manipulative relationship with excessive drama. The solution: I got out much health and life is normal and I was able to cold turkey cortef. Best move I did for myself and my own self sanity..

seeking

seeking Junior Member

this is a concept I never understood, people want to give external cortisol which will shut down natural production and make them dependent on taking the pills, thinking that somehow that will make their adrenal glands function normally?? this never made any sense to me

CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue Active Member

Me neither. It's nuts.

htownlonghorn

I actually have not. I thought the saliva test would be better since it shows your various cortisol levels throughout the day.

htownlonghorn

I realize this sounds crazy, but according to a couple of books I read this can be a helpful method of giving the adrenals a rest. I'm not saying it's a proven strategy, just something I read. According to the authors, you need to find the right amount of supplemental cortisol that will stabilize your temperature reading throughout the day. Once you find this happy medium, you stay on cortisol for at least eight weeks, and then very slowly wean off. The thought process is that this takes strain off the adrenals and gives them a chance to "rebuild." The biggest problem, however, is finding the right does as it varies by person. AND, if you take too high of a dose, your adrenals WILL cease to produce cortiol and essentially shut down. So apparently it works...you just have to be very careful while administering hydrocortisone. Once again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but for me it could be worth a shot.

CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue Active Member

Get an serum AM cortisol level. Actually, ask your doctor for a morning, afternoon, and night draw if you can.

CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue Active Member

It's not worth a shot because it's a load of bull. Your adrenal glands are not tired. If you have a cortisol problem it's because your adrenals aren't working (resting them isn't going to do anything) or something further upstairs is broken. You need some real labs, not some Genova Diagnostics bullshit.

You could do the supplemental HC route...which was all the rage around these parts (and others) 1-2 years ago. Doesn't seem like anyone does it anymore. Probably because it's a giant pain in the ass and it didn't work for about 90% of the people trying it.

DragonRider

DragonRider Junior Member

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

After being to a lot of different seminars and talking to several doctors in specific areas of expertise, they feel that adrenal fatigue is over diagnosed as well as cortef is over prescribed. There are some cases that it is needed. If a person would reduce inflammation, balance out the immune system response then cortisol would be preserved. The once that do use it only use it for a temporary time 3-6 months until the trigger is identified. Like anything its a temporary stop gap.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.