Ass to grass vs. Parallel squats

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by tubesox, Feb 27, 2015.

1. tubesox

tubesox Member

I go ass to grass myself..why is it i find bb's doing parallel and powerlifters doing a2g? What do you do, why? What do you feel the benefits and drawbacks are of each?

I feel parallel would prevent injury from bouncing in the bucket but a2g gives more rom and muscle activation

Oregongearhead likes this.
  2. gr8whitetrukker

gr8whitetrukker Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Power lifters only have to achieve parallel during a successful lift. I like a2g I really do but they round my back at the bottom. Causing me pain. I think I might stop

Ngtmarpete, Notits and tubesox like this.
  3. tubesox

tubesox Member

Ive noticed that too but parallel feels so unnatural after doing a2g

4. gr8whitetrukker

Well you have to stop the momentum and reverse direction. A2g you can more or less bottom out then push.

As long as you ain't one of these fuckers doing partial reps. I cant stand that

5. tubesox

tubesox Member

Yeh the guy in the rack screaming doing 1/4 squats with 405 thinking hes hot shit...boo

6. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

ATG's are the shizz but they put a terrible toll on my knees (which are pretty much crap already from all the old injuries over the years). Parallel with a fairly wide stance is my sweet spot as little pressure is placed on my knees.

7. ruckin

ruckin Member

I only squat atg. Some people aren't physically capable of doing it without pain but if you're not one of those people, there's no good reason to not squat as low as you can go. Mobility issues and ego are the only reasons I can think of.

Heisenberg, tubesox and MindlessWork like this.
  8. MindlessWork

I sometimes do box squats using a bench so when I touch the bench time I pause practically sitting on the bench for a couple seconds then move back up to complete the rep.

With my long legs I end up slightly below parallel

9. manafest

manafest Member

I have only seen a handful of guys doing 405 plus actually doing them legit...

BigJP, tubesox and MindlessWork like this.
  10. gr8whitetrukker

People are ridiculous when it comes to legs. Either they won't EVER do legs or if they do leg presses only! Oh I have bad knees. The excuses come pouring out. At my gym or any gym I've ever been a member of its quite rare to see any body do a real squat routine

11. xupc

xupc Member

I squat a bit bellow paralel. Its my competitive movement. I dont care about ATG. As long as I am depth legal. I dont care.

12. MindlessWork

Agreed but if you got legit knee/leg issues then there's workarounds for that

Notits likes this.
  13. gr8whitetrukker

Ya It wasn't directed at you man. But in all seriousness. That IS the excuse a bro will give you when you ask him to squat with you.

MindlessWork and xupc like this.
  14. xupc

xupc Member

Very few people wants to squat. It is difficult, painful and if you dont do it properly you can get hurt. Most bros dont care. I know guys that ran GRAMS of staff and they struggle to squat 100kg for 3 reps.. or deadlift 3 plates for a set of 5.. I think its because they do "bodybuilding" and they dont care to get strong. All they want is to look good with a stringshirt.

antipcman and MindlessWork like this.
  15. MindlessWork

No offense taken and yes I hear that all the time ;)

16. fastasf

fastasf Member

I had a knee replacement at 25 from a serious car wreck. I physically can't do squats with any sort of reasonable weight. But let's be real, I don't give a shit about how much weight i can move, I just want to look good in the summer. Lol

Tren423, MindlessWork and hotdog23 like this.
  17. gr8whitetrukker

Squats are every bit important to bodybuilding as it is power lifting.

If they dont see it this way. They are misguided at best and lazy at worst

18. heady muscle

heady muscle Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I am an ass to grass squater. It seems to be better on the lower back for me and overall body development. I tried parallel and it seem like I got nagging injury after nagging injury.

I like full range of motion on all exercises unless I am doing burn reps. I see guys bench pressing only going half to three quarters way up or down and then they bitch that their shoulders are hurting. Full range, slow and easy.

MindlessWork and tubesox like this.
  19. heady muscle

heady muscle Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Me favorite exercise. Second is deadlifts. I prefer dumbbells for bench press over a bar.

20. gr8whitetrukker

Im with you on squats.
    Against you on deadlifts.

Its unpopular and I dont care. The only mother fuckin exercise that is literally tailor made for injury