Ban the term "Dr" in peoples username

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TenPin, Apr 16, 2019.

1. TenPin

TenPin Member

I see a few (not many ) usernames with the title Dr in some shape or form.

Some of these individuals then proceed to offer "medical advice" or comment of various threads.

While we all know its a case of "buyer beware" with any type of advice in a forum like this but I do wonder are some people tempted to put more credence in advice from somebody who used "Dr" (or similar) in their username and appears to offer "medically informed advice" which may or may not be wrong.

Would we be all a little better off if the term "Dr" was only available to users who verified their qualification (in confidence ) to admin ?

Just a thought !

(now waits for the storm of abuse :) )

2. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

You have no faith in modern medicine sir. Accept the advice with confidence, and change your name to DrTenPin. It has a ring to it.

3. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I mean...we’re all giving medical advice really.

I don’t think the source is REALLY changing anyone’s mind here. But it’s an interesting thought for sure..

4. 88GENERAL88

88GENERAL88 Member

PRIME EXAMPLE : DR. JIM
    If he is a doctor I am a millionaire.

Xpac2, Jankauskas and musclemedicine like this.
  5. IronJulius

IronJulius Steroidify Rep

Doctor J has a ring to it

CompoundLifts31 likes this.
  6. ickyrica

I think that names taken lol

7. Iron Frenchie

Iron Frenchie Member

Can we turn this into a DR JIM conspiracy theory thread?

8. ickyrica

200px-JuliusErvingSlamDunk1981.jpg
    It's a unreal beautiful day in the Cape. Have a good day Meso

9. Sp2.0

Sp2.0 Member

Ask Dr death would be a good advice thread

MindlessWork likes this.
  10. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

"Ignore" feature works.

And, while we are at it, ban the letters "a, e, i, o, u."

hurricane, Bezoe, flenser and 8 others like this.
  11. Eman

Eman Member

Everyone posts wrong information from time to time, some a lot more than others.

Also, fuck censorship.

hurricane, Brawny, Bezoe and 10 others like this.
  12. Havah

Havah Member

Dont fool yourself, people will most likely give more weight to an advice from someone with a buffed up profile picture than someone with Dr or MD in their profile name

especially when the average dude cant comprehend half the sentences written ( still no idea why jim uses so many abbrevations but hey )

88GENERAL88 and The Terminator like this.
  13. TenPin

TenPin Member

I actually saw a post from sombody called Mike Dr which was the straw ....

T-Bagger likes this.
  14. TenPin

TenPin Member

I’m not sure it’s censorship... there is no suggestion of stoping anyone from saying anything... it’s more about being clear ... are you offering your opinion/advice as a medical professional or an enthusiastic amateur ( and if the latter why are trying to dress it up as the former ! )

bama_barbell1014 likes this.
  15. Eman

Eman Member

Fair enough, you want to have members verified by Millard if they want to have "DR" or an equivalent added to their handle. I agree, that doesn't necessarily equate to censorship.

Welcome the the internet. Anyone can be whoever they want to be... Verification of a doctorate will never happen on this forum.

Roger rabbit, T-Bagger and darkdays like this.
  16. bob357sig

bob357sig Member

Their used to be a tv commercial that went something like “im not a doctor, but I play one on tv” now that should be replaced with “im not a doctor but I play one on the internet “ lol. Anybody who takes anything they read on the internet or forum as absolute truth is really the idiot! Some good guys here with some good advice, but I still take everything with a grain of salt so to speak. Im no doctor but I strive to be an amateur gynecologist :D

17. Ophydian

Ophydian Member

I’ve stayed at a few holiday inn expresses so go F yourself in the A.

ickyrica and T-Bagger like this.
  18. bornSkinny

bornSkinny Member

I understand the concern but I don’t think that it really matters.

Suppose everyone who claims such a title has an actual degree of some kind to back it up. So what?

Does that mean they are always correct?
    You know how many kooky ass doctors there are out there? I’d imagine medical malpractice is a daily occurrence in the US alone.

This is a free forum, the information is free, and it’s uncensored. If you don’t like doctor whoever’s advice, rebut then, flame them or whatever. Nobody’s going to stop you from doing what you think is right.

Oldschool, Seven and Eman like this.
  19. johntt44

johntt44 Member

Shit, I was gonna add Dr. to my username since I'm a gynecologist. Show me where it hurts baby.