Barbell rows vs deadlifts

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by 350lift, Sep 26, 2019.

1. 350lift

350lift Member

first time deadlifting in awhile. The doms is telling me these a far superior to barbell rows for rhomboid development and upper back-mid back

Opinions?

Tryna figure this out this my current back day

Deadlift

Lat pull down overhand

Dumbell rows

Barbell row

Lat pull over

Barbell Shrugs

Reverse fly machine

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. 350lift

350lift Member

Also: dumbell vs barbell rows

3. johntt44

johntt44 Member

I'm going to do:
    Chin ups
    Deadlifts
    Pendlay row(heavy 5-8reps)
    Narrow pulldowns
    Hammerstrength rows
    G rows

Starting next week

4. Eman

Eman Member

I don't personally do deadlifts and barbell rows in the same day.

One day is deadlifts and I add low intensity dumbbell rows when working on back but mostly the day is focused on squats or a variation, hamstrings and some quads.

Barbell row day is all back with some biceps.

Doing both in the same day can be a lot.

5. 350lift

350lift Member

I didn’t wanna do this but after the doms I got from deadlifts in my mid upper back I feel these are a necessity now.

6. Eman

Eman Member

Is deadlift a new thing for you? That is probably why you're getting the DOMS.

What's your split look like?

You can definitely do both but I would treat deadlift as a primary and then rows secondary.

IMHO, the best splits are centered around the base lifts. Bench press, overhead press, barbell row, squat, deadlift. As such, a 5 day split seems generally superior to me.

WeMadeItToAndromeda and 350lift like this.
  7. 350lift

350lift Member

No I just haven’t deadlifted since I broke my arm unde couple years ago.
    Deadlifted first time again recently

I do chest tris shoulders
    Legs
    Back bis
    Off
    Repeat

Or I do the same thing but train EOD which I’ve been doing recently
    I have all those lefts except for deadlift

8. Eman

Eman Member

You'll definitely get more bang for your buck with deadlifts but rows definitely have merit. If you keep to that split I would just do a lower intensity on the rows.

9. 350lift

350lift Member

I think I’m going to keep it all and get rid of lat pullovers and maybe dumbell rows too or do only two set on dumbells rows

What do u think? I hate going lower intensity than I can output I feel like it’s pointless even tho it isnt

10. DonaldPump123

DonaldPump123 Member

I think you should do the movements that give you the best pump and feel

11. Eman

Eman Member

There is really no need to do both barbell and dumbbell rows... I would definitely rotate them. If you really like both you could do 2 sets of each or something.

I would keep the lat pullovers since you don't have much lat work there if you remove. Reverse flys could be removed since you should be getting enough work on them with the other lifts but they're also quick and easy so it's fine if you want to give them more focus.

350lift likes this.
  12. 350lift

350lift Member

Fuck I’ll try this then maybe...

Deadlift

Lat pull down overhand

Barbell row

Lat pull over

Barbell Shrugs

Reverse fly machine

johntt44 likes this.
  13. Oldschool

Oldschool Member

You mind posting up the split you like the most? I like to stick to basic movements also.

14. Eman

Eman Member

It changes about every 4 weeks or so.

Right now it's:

Bench press/ohp secondary plus a variation (Bradford press right now)

Barbell row

Squat

Bench variation (close grip right now) with ohp press and the Bradford press as secondary and variation

Deadlift as primary with squat or squat variation (back squat now, was front squat 4 weeks ago)

johntt44 and Oldschool like this.
  15. Oldschool

Oldschool Member

Many thanks for sharing Eman.

16. Delt123

Delt123 Member

I'd do both, as I think both have their place. Recently started block pulls (kinda like rackpulls tbh) and indeed the DOMS hits different.

I prefer dumbell row above barebell too for lat development. Dumbell rows seems to hit my lats quite hard while barebell seems to hit my back a bit more 'overall'.

350lift likes this.
  17. 350lift

350lift Member

Exactly why I have them both but I’m throwing out dumbell rows for machine rows why? I don’t wanna do 6 sets of rows
    But I need that rhomboid AND lat focus. So machine row single arm allows me to not have the bar stop at my chest and I can get the same range of motion and do it sitting down so it’s not as tiring as dumbells

18. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I like chest supported rows and seal rows with a cambered bar, both with about a one second pause at the top of each rep. I alternate vertical and horizontal pulling every time I'm in the gym.

Deadlift is obviously awesome. Personally since you don't compete in powerlifting I think you'd get more of what you're looking for pulling from 3-5" blocks or with a high handle trap bar because you could handle more weight. A few sets in the 6-10 rep range or work up to one all out crazy set. When I do that it lights my upper back, rhomboid, and traps up like nothing else.

jJjburton and 350lift like this.
  19. jJjburton

jJjburton Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Yea this is what I kind of do. But I also do a heavy primary muscle pump secondary muslce. Then switch every other week.

Focusing my workout around the main compound movements ending with isolating movements.

20. jJjburton

jJjburton Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Under hand grip hits the lats much more then over hand.

350lift likes this.