Beyond encryption: Steganography

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by master.on, Jan 11, 2018.

1. master.on

master.on Member

Besides encrypting a message
    Steganography conceals the encrypted message in plain everyday-life conversations or files

The advantage of steganography over cryptography alone is that the intended secret message does not attract attention to itself as an object of scrutiny. Plainly visible encrypted messages, no matter how unbreakable they are, arouse interest and may in themselves be incriminating in countries in which encryption is illegal.[2]
    Steganography - Wikipedia

In this image
    [​IMG]
    they concealed this other image
    [​IMG]
    Amazing!

ickyrica and Millard Baker like this.
  2. Michael7

Michael7 Member

A-fluffy-cat-looking-funny-surprised-or-concerned.jpg

3. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

SImilarly, but for other purposes, you can embed malware in an image.

It's a cool technology - but I haven't seen any applications out there yet, have you?

4. master.on

master.on Member

Here, not yet (BBers aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer) but there is plenty of free Steganography Software available, just Google it
    just a couple examples here
    OpenStego
    Free Steganography Software - QuickStego
    Best Tools to Perform Steganography

hopefully it won't take long for sources to Email you tit-pics with WU details hidden in it.
    What's not to like about it?

5. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

I know there are tools to embed info inside images, I just haven't seen any practical implementations yet. It feels like the way PGP was back in the 90s.

6. Would that actually work? i was under the impression that malware needed to be part of an executable file to be able to do it's dirty business?

master.on likes this.
  7. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

MisterSuperGod likes this.
  8. theSilence

theSilence Member

One upon a time there used to be a bug within Windows where the image previewer would execute anything within the comments field of the image meta, so you could craft basically an entire malware binary into the comments and execute it without the user notifying anything weird about the file. Those were the days. Hey, check out these tits! pwnd...

MisterSuperGod likes this.
  9. master.on

master.on Member

Let's hope they don't end up disabling animated GIFs
    24 Funny Animated GIF Images to Make You Laugh All Day Long - Quertime