Brewing with 25mm filters?

Discussion in 'Steroid Homebrew' started by ToneDaBone, Aug 27, 2018.

1. ToneDaBone

ToneDaBone Member

So I've successfully brewed up a few batches in the past using some articles I found on here and reddit. I ordered the same stuff I typically order from medlabgear, including 33mm .22um filters. Instead they sent me 25mm .2um filters. I haven't opened them yet, but it looks to me like the connections to the needle and the syringe are the same size as the 33mm. What's the main difference with these smaller filters? I'm guessing that it would take forever for the oil to filter thru the smaller filter?

2. AnTabolic73

AnTabolic73 Member

If I'm understanding you, i believe those measurements refer to the actual diameter of the filter membrane. It shouldn't filter any faster or slower since the pore size is the same. Maybe the larger size can filter more oil due to being bigger? But I'm guessing.

3. ToneDaBone

ToneDaBone Member

Yeah I have no clue myself either. I've just only ever seen the 33mm filters mentioned & recommended. So guessing there's some reason the 25mm filters are less than ideal.

4. master.on

master.on Member

Yep it's the membrane diameter
    a smaller one should filter a bit slowly and filter less oil before getting clogged.
    Probably not a noticeable difference.

5. ToneDaBone

ToneDaBone Member

I'd be using a caulk gun to push it thru at about 50ml at a time. Think that would be an issue? Do you (or anyone else) have personal experience with these 25mm filters? I'm worried the force might just blow the thing up or something.

6. smugface

smugface Member

I've been using the 25mm filters for a while now. Never timed it but would estimate it took about 10 min or so to filter 50ml by hand.

ToneDaBone likes this.
  7. ToneDaBone

ToneDaBone Member

Have you ever tried the 33mm? If so how did it compare and why did you switch?

8. smugface

smugface Member

I've used both and can't say I see that much of a difference. Price was the deciding factor to keep using them.

Breakneck and ToneDaBone like this.
  9. master.on

master.on Member

Yep
    just don't use the tininest ones, they're like 10 or 12 mm
    but 25mm+ is fine.

Breakneck and ToneDaBone like this.
  10. Kpaxi

Kpaxi Member

So I’m accidentally brewing with the 13mm right now. Is there anything wrong with this besides slow ass filtering?

11. elitesales305

elitesales305 Member

used the 25mm .45's worked like a charm.. seemed to not be a diff from the .25 33mm

SwoleIsTheGoal likes this.