Bumper Plates ... Why?

LivEx

During my pandemic search for weights on craigslist/offerup I've seen quite a few people selling bumper plates. I've also seen them at cross fit gyms but I'm not fluent in that language...

I'm assuming damage from weight drops, which there's padding for? But I see they take up so much room on the bar!

What advantages are there for bumper plates?

bumper plates.jpg

SomeRandoGuy

AnabolicLab.com Supporter
They're good for Olympic lifts where you might need to drop the bar. There's not enough room on a bar for something like deadlift though.

Had no idea. Thanks! Guess I didn’t do enough research. I doubt I’ll be pushing the limits anytime soon but better planning for the long run. Not like anyplace has them in stock right now.

SUGARBEAR

they are made for snatcher and clean-and-jerkers who drop the weight. in bodyuilding they can work in exercises which might fall.

Eman

I like using a bumper as my first set of plates on deadlift, it makes the bar more sturdy when you add more plates.

I like using a bumper as my first set of plates on deadlift, it makes the bar more sturdy when you add more plates.
I was going to say this, most of the bumpers I’ve come across are an extra inch or two in circumference compared to normal 45’s, so if you put them on first it lets you load and unload for deadlifts and without having to awkwardly row the bar.

they are made for snatcher and clean-and-jerkers who drop the weight. in bodyuilding they can work in exercises which might fall.

Reminds me of a guy in our gym. Like most gyms we have pads around the racks to protect the floor and deaden the noise. We also have the rubber plates to use when power lifting. But we have a guy that not only moves back off the padding, but insists on using the iron plates when deadlifting and then drops the weight from the waist after his sets, I guess so everyone can see (hear) how much he's lifting ( which actually isn't that much really). I never understood in the first place why deadlifters have to drop the weights, unless they are doing a PR and just can't hang on or something. Seems to me if you can pick it up you can put it down :^ /
Sorry for the derail.

SUGARBEAR

Reminds me of a guy in our gym. Like most gyms we have pads around the racks to protect the floor and deaden the noise. We also have the rubber plates to use when power lifting. But we have a guy that not only moves back off the padding, but insists on using the iron plates when deadlifting and then drops the weight from the waist after his sets, I guess so everyone can see (hear) how much he's lifting ( which actually isn't that much really). I never understood in the first place why deadlifters have to drop the weights, unless they are doing a PR and just can't hang on or something. Seems to me if you can pick it up you can put it down :^ /
Sorry for the derail.

The plates were implemented because as records surpassed previous, the old rule of lowering the weight from overhead to platform ws phased out. Before, they made the regulation plate size, as to have the bar roll over the head if the athlete tumbled.

Sorry for the derail.

Dropping the weight from the waist is obnoxious and would get you three red lights at a powerlifting meet. I prefer iron plates over the bumpers though because I can't fit enough bumpers on the bar to deadlift with. Sounds like that isn't a problem for that dude. Weak ego lifters that don't even realize they're weak are funny.