Buncher filter is very slow- help

Discussion in 'Steroid Homebrew' started by Blitz33, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Blitz33

Blitz33 Junior Member

First time brewed, but I need some help with filtering it. Filtered with buncher funnel with 0.22micron 47mm membran filter but filtering process so slow like 50ml/35min, and changing filter paper every 50ml. I put liquid in 50celcius warm for faster filtration.

Sterilizing;
    Washed glassware and vials in bleach, then rinsed with distilled water
    washed with ipa alcohol
    Baked for 1 hour in 130celcius

Brewing;
    Warmed my oil(mct) to 45 celcius
    add powder test e
    add bb
    add ba
    cooked at 39celcius for 5 hours

Filtering;
    Like I said 50ml/35min for filtering, I did 76 vials of test, takes my 17 hours or more, why is filtering procces so slow, where do I making mistake, I heard some guys filterin 100ml/15min.

Sorry for my english.

Attached Files:

2. Blitz33

Blitz33 Junior Member

added photos of my equipment

3. Cakedup

Cakedup Member

The main problem I can see bro is your PVDF filter or hydrophilic you need hydrophobic in order to speed up the process. Also it wouldn't hurt to go with a 90mm filter that supposed to 47mm.

What are you bringing your pressure up to on the pump?

4. Blitz33

Blitz33 Junior Member

Excellent advise from you thx, will try with hydrophobic. For Pump specs check below, bought cheapest one, idk about pressure

Attached Files:

5. Cakedup

Cakedup Member

I'm used to measuring vacuum pressure and mm/hg or Mbar. However from my research it looks like you're pump being as though it operates at up 150 microns (Which is Micron Mercury) converts over to 0.1500000029083 mm/Hg. If I'm correct about that which I'm pretty sure I am that's not nearly enough pressure and that's why. Well that's the first reason it's moving so slow. What I would recommend is buying a hand vacuum pump used for bleeding brakes from Amazon for $20. I used a hand pump years ago when I start it and it was no problem to get it up to 15 and mm/Hg. Depending on your setup meaning the Greyhound a filter the filter material and what kind of filtration system you using run out of pressure you can bring it up to varies personally I like to be able to bring it up to 25 mm/Hg, and that will allow you to filter between 5 to 800 ml every 30 minutes depending on if you're using a .22um or a .45um filter. I personally like hydrophobic better than hydrophilic as well, but keep in mind if you go with hydrophobic it needs to be pre wetted first using a solvent. What I would do is take BA, and a spray bottle and just spray the BA on the filter after you get it into the filter funnel. I don't really know if this answers your questions will help you out but hopefully it will and I will post a link to the hand pump I'm speaking of.

CARSC Hand Held Vacuum Pump Tester Kit with Adapter and Case is Suitable for Automotive Vacuum Gauge and Brake Exhaust Kit (Blue)

Stinkfinger1112 and Blitz33 like this.
  6. Cakedup

Cakedup Member

Also I just seen your vacuum setup and I would go with the hand pump or an electric vacuum pump that you could get from eBay by typing this in.

Impact 317M Oiless Suction + Pressure Aerator Vacuum Pump Ideal For ENT Cabinet

Stinkfinger1112 likes this.
  7. Blitz33

Blitz33 Junior Member

Thank you very much for your help,I m really grateful for your valueable informations. I will order hand pump you sent and I will post result in here.
    Also I will be checking filtration system and filter paper.

8. Cakedup

Cakedup Member

Yea definitely keep me updated and let me know how things are going for you when the pump comes in. I have a few more tips for you then ad well...

Stinkfinger1112 likes this.
  9. jstarks11

jstarks11 Member

Personally, I would skip the filter paper buchner setup. Use that same setup, (pump you have I'm not sure about that draw being .1mm/hg, sounds like that would be impossible that it only pulls that much vacuum) but use WHATMAN POLYCAP filters!!! They work GREAT!!! SUPER!!! If your pump really is not getting up to 15mm/hg (you can measure this by buying a CHEAP vacuum gauge and attaching it inline) then yes, your pump has to be replaced. However, without looking your pump up and researching it I don't know. I can say this, if you paid over 50 USD for it then it should get to 15mm/hg NO PROBLEM. There are negative pressure pumps online that work in the 30mm/hg range that cost 50usd so I have a hard time believing your pump is not pulling more than .2mm/hg.
    Get a pump or air compressor pump convertor if you have an air compressor. Get you some whatman polycap filters and enjoy SMOOTH QUICK filtering!!!

10. Blitz33

Blitz33 Junior Member

Thank you for your helps guys, cant buy whatman polycap in my country unfortunatelly. Ordered hand pump will give it a try.

11. skinnyman

skinnyman Member

What buchner funnel did you get? I think you have the same one as me. Takes couple of hours to filter 100-300ml.
    Go for the bottle top filters next time, worth every penny.

12. jstarks11

jstarks11 Member

Can you get Pall Vacucap 90mm in your country? Otherwise, order from outside your country and have it shipped in. It will come!!!
    The Pall Vacucap is GREAT!!! Does smaller quantity. But 1000ml through a Vacucap is not unheard of. maybe even more. I've done like 1000ml through one though.