Can Clomid Raise Testosterone Permanently for Some?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by Nate92, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Nate92

Nate92 Junior Member

Hello. I'm back to look at my option for a fresh perspective! I'm probably a secondary hypogonadic with an FSH typically around 1.5, and a LH typically around 4.5. I've read some comments online and from some patients of Dr. Shippen that say they've been told that clomid may actually "solve" their low testosterone issues. If you respond well during the Clomid test, a 3 month or so Clomid cycle may help restore natural levels of testosterone. These raises could be permanent. Is this possible?

I wonder if I am a good candidate. I previously took Adderall and Prozac for year. Suffered from bad OCD and constant anxiety/stress. Overweight and didn't take the best care of myself. All things that I wonder if they could of suppressed or lowered my testosterone. Either way I'm in a lot healthier place now, and wondering if I could be a candidate for "Clomid Therapy", and if it's really possible to "solve" low testosterone!?!?

Thanks everyone!

2. idmd

idmd Member

If your LH is 4.5 and your tT is low you are NOT secondary IMO.

3. Nate92

Nate92 Junior Member

My LH tested at 4.1 and 4.2 so actually closer to 4, but really? I was under the assumption that was low. It might help to add that I'm 21.

4. idmd

idmd Member

What is your tT?

5. Nate92

Nate92 Junior Member

My total testosterone is generally around 250 or on a good day 300.

6. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

Neither of these studies had follow up. Personal communication on the AAS study showed the patient to fail CC treatment. There is substantial evidence for CC in hypogonadism to increase testosterone. I am skeptical for its QoL ability. I respect Guay for his work on clomiphene. It is by far the best and most objective.

Tan RS, Vasudevan D. Use of clomiphene citrate to reverse premature andropause secondary to steroid abuse. Fertil Steril 2003;79(1): 203-5. Elsevier

OBJECTIVE: To report a case of symptomatic hypogonadism induced by the abuse of multiple steroid preparations that was subsequently reversed by clomiphene.

DESIGN: Case report.

SETTING: University-affiliated andrology practice within family practice clinic.

PATIENT(S): A 30-year-old male.

INTERVENTION(S): Clomiphene citrate, 100-mg challenge for 5 days, followed by treatment at same dose for 2 months.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Clinical symptoms, androgen decline in aging male questionnaire, total T, FSH, LH. RESULT(S): Reversal of symptoms, normalization of T levels with LH surge, restoration of pituitary-gonadal axis.

CONCLUSION(S): Clomiphene citrate is used typically in helping to restore fertility in females. This represents the first case report of the successful use of clomiphene to restore T levels and the pituitary-gonadal axis in a male patient. The axis was previously shut off with multiple anabolic steroid abuse.

Burge MR, Lanzi RA, Skarda ST, Eaton RP. Idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in a male runner is reversed by clomiphene citrate. Fertil Steril 1997;67(4):783-5. Elsevier

OBJECTIVE: To assess the efficacy of estrogen antagonist therapy on the function of the hypothalamic-pituitary-testicular axis in a young male runner with significant morbidity attributable to idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. DESIGN: An uncontrolled case study.

SETTING: The outpatient endocrinology clinic of a university tertiary referral center.

PATIENT(S): A 29-year-old male who has run 50 to 90 miles per week since 15 years of age and who presented with a pelvic stress fracture, markedly decreased bone mineral density, and symptomatic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.

INTERVENTION(S): Clomiphene citrate (CC) at doses up to 50 mg two times per day over a 5-month period.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): Serum concentrations of LH, FSH, and T before and after CC therapy, as well as clinical indicators of gonadal function.

RESULT(S): Barely detectable levels of LH and FSH associated with hypogonadal levels of T were restored to the normal range with CC therapy. The patient experienced improved erectile function, increased testicular size and sexual hair growth, and an improved sense of well being.

CONCLUSION(S): Exercise-induced hypogonadotropic hypogonadism exists as a clinical entity among male endurance athletes, and CC may provide a safe and effective treatment option for males with debilitating hypogonadism related to endurance exercise.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. Nate92

Nate92 Junior Member

Very interesting. Thank you for the post Dr. Scally. I guess the question is: What other induced hypogonadism can clomid fix? I wonder if my HPTA function was lowered by past depression/anxiety or a medication I have been on. If exercise-induced hypogonadism is caused by cortisol, I'd imagine the psychological stress that has been placed on my body would have similar results.

When looking through causes of hypogonadism I found this

Stress - Stress can affect many aspects of testosterone production. It can cause a problem with the hypothalamus with subsequent signal reduction to the testes. Also, since the stress hormone, cortisol, has the same building blocks as testosterone, a high cortisol demand can lead to a depletion of testosterone because there aren't enough building blocks left to make it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  8. idmd

idmd Member

Meh... I skipped over your FSH in your original post.

Lots of guys complain about sides on clomid.

9. Nate92

Nate92 Junior Member

Yes, I have read about a lot of side-effects, but I'm only wondering if short-term therapy would restore my own natural production if it has indeed been hindered by psychological causes.

10. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Member

Bump

11. Tyler81

Tyler81 Member

Sometimes clomid restarts hold but it's hit and miss.
    My levels held for a few months but crashed back down.

Your best bet would be to use it for a few months daily or eod and then "maintenance" to nudge along your HPTA 2-3X per week.

12. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

Took my levels from 200's to 700's. Currently holding in 500's after dabbling with some orals only.

13. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Member

How long were you taking clomid for and at what dosage? And how long did you cease for? Also what do you mean by dabbling with some orals only.

14. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

Been on clomid for about two years. Dosage is 50mg 3-4x week.

Anavar and winstrol. Each for about 6-8 weeks.

Tyler81 and Nicolaus like this.
  15. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Member

Appreciate the response. How is your well being. Do you feel good on Clomid?

16. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

So-so. I don't think I will feel as good as I could/should until I get on injectable test for trt

Nicolaus likes this.
  17. toolman

toolman Member

It boosted my numbers and I felt great, just no libido which is not the norm so I ended up on injectables.

Nicolaus and Xlgx like this.
  18. Nicolaus

Nicolaus Member

Why do you think you had no libido? Could it have been a rise in prolactin, rise in sbgh, or agonist effects on the pituitary from the clomid causing mood issues?

19. toolman

toolman Member

No idea, even the endo was surprised as he said I was the first that had that issue. However I have since heard of others with the same response. Again, a very small population. Labs were perfect on it, I really wished it had worked.

20. Kimpe

Kimpe Member

I have been taking 25mg clomid ED for about 4 months now, i had low T (11nmol/l when the range is 10-38), felt like shit and everything sucked. I don't know what caused it because about 5 years ago my level was 28, I think it was because i almos 2 years ago i was so fucking stupid that i tried SARMS and believed the "its not supressive at all" bullshit.
    But anyways, back to the case. I just measured my T last week and got my result this week, it was 23,2nmol/l which of i'm pretty satisfied about. Im just a bit scared that it's gonna drop when i try quitting clomid.
    Also i remember reading Dr. Scally's post about clomid being bad for the pituary's sensitivity to GnRH while nolvadex would improve it, so i have been thinking of maby switching clomid to nolvadex for a couple of months and then try quitting.