Capping via volume method?

Discussion in 'Steroid Homebrew' started by JackSmooth, Jul 28, 2018.

1. JackSmooth

JackSmooth Member

I came across this guide of capping by volume. Here's a little rundown, a 00 cap is .65cc so if you're making 100caps that's 65cc total. So you put your dose of active ingriedent in a graduated cylinder and then top it off with filler to the 65cc mark and then mix the powder with mortar and pestle then fill the caps.

Any experience with this way of doing things?

2. LordSamuilo

LordSamuilo Member

The only problem with this method is every compound and filler will have different densities. So if youre arent worried the caps being accurate as possible this theoretically would work fine . But , Say youre making adrol 50's , depending on how many you make at a time you could potentially end up with adrol 40's or adrol 60's depending on the filler you use . So i wouldn't use this method for stuf like ai's where a 10mg swing could potentially fuck you up .

ickyrica and XmadXscientist like this.
  3. JackSmooth

JackSmooth Member

I knew that would come up. The guide also touched on that mentioned you shouldn't tamp the capsules and pack them, instead just tap and let the powder settle. Still I'm not sure exactly how accurate it would be but it made somewhat sense when I read, because I also was thinking of varying densities.

4. master.on

master.on Member

How mang mg per cap do you wish to have?
    It only works fine for high mg formulations (i.e. you can't expect it to work with t3 or clen in mcg amounts).

Get the smallest caps that hold the desired mg
    so you use as little filler as possible.

Weigh several caps with an accurate mg scale
    and note the difference among them.

Big pharma tampers caps
    but it might work fine with no tampering
    provided they are accurately weighed.

5. JackSmooth

JackSmooth Member

I'm not talking about the method where you weigh caps with filler then weigh with active ingredient and calculate.

6. gear shef

gear shef Member

I would t do that just for sake of dosing accuracy. Look into geometric dilution to get caps dosed accurately.

I just tamp down if needed vs trying to estimate how much powder will fit in a cap

7. JackSmooth

JackSmooth Member

Geometric dilution is still a step in this method. You do it after you measure your powder in the cylinder.

I ended up using the method found on the sticky, but was just curious of people thoughts and wanted input about measuring volume instead of mass.

8. gear shef

gear shef Member

Oh ok the way you described in your op it didn’t seem u were doing it. Simply using a mortar and pestle after mixing ALL of filler and active ingredient is not geometric dilution.

But ok, just making sure u were familiar

9. TideGear

TideGear Member

I have all of the equipment and raws to do this but have been putting it off for quite a while. It just seems so tedious. Is it very difficult or is it easy once you've done it a couple of times?

10. JackSmooth

JackSmooth Member

It sounds plausible, that if you have 65cc of powder and 65cc of empty caps that as long as the powder was properly mixed that all the caps would turn out even dosage wise. Only thing would be is that you can't tamp the powder in the filling process and would just have to tap to settle the powder down instead.

11. master.on

master.on Member

Unless you weigh the caps as they are filled
    you are filling by volume

The problem is that solid powders don't have a fixed volume like liquids do
    their volume depends on how tightly they are pressed.

Even big pharma needs to weigh several caps to determine the optimum dilution and compaction.

12. DrDylan

DrDylan Member

Instead of mortar and pestle I put everything in a Shaker and I shake for 10 minutes hardly I think that way filling powder and raw material get mixed better

13. JackSmooth

JackSmooth Member

Shaking won't always break down clumps so just keep that in mind. The mortar and pestle allows you to break both compounds down to similar granule size.

DrDylan and master.on like this.
  14. Rosconow

Rosconow Member

You'd be wrong. Geometric dilution is the ONLY way to compound. Not only are you mixing your two compounds, but by reducing particulate size via mortar and pestal, you're ensuring a homogenous mix.

Even if you think your active ingredient and filler are the same size, they aren't. By crushing with mortar and pestle, you get both ingredients more similar.

But dont take my word for it. Ask a pharmacist.

master.on and DrDylan like this.
  15. DrDylan

DrDylan Member

Thanks for explanation guys, I didn't know it.

16. Rosconow

Rosconow Member

This board is a great resource. I got my original info from here on the sticky "capping 101".
    Then, being the guy that i am, followed up with a visit to my local compounding pharmacy (where i get my dhea prepared). They know me there and we always have good conversations.
    I said i wanted to compound some glutamine and l-arginine together in some caps. The explanation was pretty much bang on with the video that is posted in "capping 101".

DrDylan likes this.