Carbs/Calories

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by LargeAngryMale, Apr 28, 2018.

1. LargeAngryMale

LargeAngryMale Junior Member

Not sure how carbs work in relation to energy. Can someone please help me understand - do we burn calories or carbs when we exercise? What's the relationship there?

2. Apexvallen

Apexvallen Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Your body decides and adapts whether its going to burn off incoming calories or stored fat based on a million different criteria. Generally if your glycogen stores are low, you will be okay to eat carbs and not have it stored as fat.

3. LargeAngryMale

Well I’ve got a lot of weight to lose. I’m currently eating around 100 carbs for breakfast, 20-30 for lunch, and zero for dinner.

The first two weeks I lost 10 pounds. The last week and a half I have lost zero. I’m only eating 2000-2500 calories per day and my maintenance is around 3300.

Do I need to cut out the carbs?

4. Evom1

Evom1 Member

What's your exact diet?
    Training
    Cardio
    Supplements
    Gear?

5. LargeAngryMale

Cardarine and ostarine
    1-2 packets of low sugar Oatmeal in the morning with one tablespoon of peanut butter. Protein shake with soy milk and espresso.

Lunch - big salad with balsamic vinegar and tons of chicken breast and vegetables.

Snack - coffee with cream and Splenda. Maybe a protein bar.

Dinner - chicken breast with soy paste or something.

I do the same thing almost every day except for Sunday’s which are my cheat day.

6. LargeAngryMale

I also work out with lifting and about 20 mins of cardio every day.

7. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Definitely a ton of work to do here. Cut all the soy out first off. How many ounces is each serving of chicken?

You've got to fix your diet, then you'll drop the fat just fine

DrankSlangin likes this.
  8. LargeAngryMale

I eat a lot of chicken breast. It’s still low calorie though... and isn’t soy low calorie as well?

What do you mix your protein shakes with?

9. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Bro there's so much more to it than that lol
    Soy is bad to put in your body
    What I do with my diet has nothing to do with what you need to do. Have you considered working with a coach do to your nutrition weekly?

DrankSlangin likes this.
  10. Apexvallen

Keep carbs below 100g a day, 50 if possible. Work out your maintenance calories for a day and take off 500. I also recommend doing intermittent fasting. Have an early dinner, eat nothing before bed, don't eat till lunch the next day. Thats what worked for me.

11. LargeAngryMale

I have a nutritionist but they just tell me go eat grains and stuff. Not a huge fan. Intermittent fasting sounds interesting but I work out at night so I won’t be able to eat my post workout meal.

Also how would’t that mess up my metabolism?

12. Apexvallen

It would keep insulin low for a majority of the day/night. You could eat a late dinner and then not eat lunch till 2 if thats possible. Its not necessary for everyone but I found that works for me.

13. LargeAngryMale

Could I do egg whites in the morning and before bed? Very low calorie and will feed the muscles from working out.

14. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Not a nutritionist, an actual coach

For example Dave Palumbo is only $175

15. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Dude there's so much more to diet than that You need to educate yourself or have a coach

DrankSlangin likes this.
  16. LargeAngryMale

175 per hour?

I’m trying to educate myself now...

17. Evom1

Evom1 Member

$175/month....
    He'll cover your nutrition, supplements, and training

18. Apexvallen

Sounds like IF isn't for you. If you want to worry about muscle don't do too much of a calorie deficit and you'll hold onto more muscle but your weight gain will be slower. Its a balancing act and you need to pick a goal and just go for it.

19. Sparkyp

Sparkyp Member

@LargeAngryMale ,
    I feel your frustrations. Ive been trying to figure out the calorie and carb thing for a year now. I’m not gaining nor losing weight. Like you, i’m Right at 3000 calories a day. People say calorie deficit and you lose weight, calorie surplus and you gain muscle. So how do you gain muscle and lose weight at the same time! :mad: Lol
    The carbs i struggle with. I consume about 150g between pre/intra/post workout. The other 100g-150g are throughout the day. Idk if thats even right.

How long have you been dieting and exercising like this? My apologies if you mentioned this.

Also, like the other members mentioned here, intermittently fasting seems to be a home run. Again though, i’m Unclear if that should be done everyday or a few times a week because ive read up on people doing it both ways

20. Eman

Eman Member

Care to expand on that?

You lowered your carbs and dropped muscle glycogen and water... It's one of the reasons people think keto works so well when they are only a week or two into it.

Worry less about carbs, worry more about calories. Keep it simple... Find your TDEE, how many calories you burn in a typical day, and eat less than that but don't get carried away and try to eat the least amount possible. Go for a modest calorie deficit, 500 calories or so... Keep your protein at ~1gr/lb of bodyweight and fill in the rest with foods you like... Preferably with as many "whole foods" as possible, but leave room for stuff you like too (within reason) so it becomes a sustainable diet for the long term.

Unless you're getting ready to compete, forget getting a coach. A nutritionist can be helpful, but a lot of this is going to be things you learn through trial and error... You'll figure out what fits and what doesn't.