Cardio Question

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Gator, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Gator

Gator Junior Member

Ya'll will have to excuse me, I'm just starting cardio training for the first time today. I've always been concerned with bulking up, but I'm now to the point where I'd like to drop some bodyfat and work on getting the sixpack back.

Anyways, I was at the gym today, on the treadmill. i took two ripped fuels about an hour before I hit the gym. The treadmill told me the optimum heart rate for fat burning is 129 , but I couldn't get it below 139, even when i was walking 2.8 mph.

Does anyone know where my heart rate should be at, and for how long? BTW, stats are 5'9, 196 lbs, 21 yrs old, I would guess about 10% bf. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Take it easy

gator

2. Phreezer

Phreezer Member

Your Maximum Heart Rate is 220 minus your age..That is your MAX!

I have been working on an Importance of cardiovascular exercise for weight trainers article. Hopefully I'll have this up soon.

3. Gator

Gator Junior Member

Thanks for the help Phreezer. I'm still not sure where it should be at for maximum fat burning. BTW, I'm glad you're doing an article on cardio health for bodybuilders.

I was getting out of breath walkign up a couple flights of stairs. That's when I realized how out of shape I really was.

4. Chip Bronson

Chip Bronson Junior Member

first of all, those little schematics on treadmills are for-idiots-only...

like phreezer said, your max rate is 220 minus your age which is 199; we can round it off to 200 for the sake of ease of calculation. now, your ideal fat-burning range is between 60% and 75% which, in your case, would be between 120 and 150 bpm. so 139 is fine. if you go higher, the theory is that you will be burning too much lean tissue versus fat. if you go below that, you're not burning fat or at least not efficiently. hope this helps.

5. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

And I will say that those theories are complete bullhsit. Let's look at some of the leanest athletes around, barring BB's. Sprinters, wrestlers, boxers. I'll tell you what. They're heart rates are never in their target range.

Also, look to the recent popularity of the interval training.

6. Gator

Gator Junior Member

Thanks for the help bros. i felt the same way, 129 just seemed way to low. i wasn't even sweating. I appreciate the help. Take it easy.

gator

7. armsports

armsports Junior Member

I'd suggest taking 220-age to get your maximal HR(MHR). Then check your resting HR(RHR) preferably first thing in the morning. Then calculate your heart rate reserve(HRR) by MHR-RHR. Finally, calculate your target zone as anything between .7(HRR) + RHR and .85(HRR) + RHR. As an example, if your RHR was 72 you would exercise between 160-180bpm. Now if you are just starting out or are interested in ONLY burning fat as fuel, you would go at a lower intensity around 50-60% HRR. But the above level will give you good results in time, assuming appropriate frequency and duration.

8. Ronin_

Ronin_ Junior Member

Yeah heart rate reserve is another way. The key is the intensity of course. 75-80% MHR is the best range to burn fat - yes you burn more carbs than fat at this rate, but as you burn so much overall you lose more fat.

The heart rate of 65-70% is for very unfit people - those sedentary for years who would not be able to run a mile.

With intervals work upto 85% MHR on the hard stint and go down to 75% in the recovery, aiming to average around about 80%, that is some lactate threshold training also, which is beneficial in fat burning and the metabolism

I used to do a great deal of running where we used heart rate monitors and these ranges always worked,

Get a Polar heart rate monitor, the treadmill sounds way off, a 138 BPM walking no way, I would not expect it to go above 120 even with the ephedrine at that rate.

9. armsports

armsports Junior Member

I usually put people on intervals now because it's more interesting/challenging for them and can give a good boost to the metabolism. To me, the people that benefit the most from low-intensity aerobic activity are the unfit/high risk group or bodybuilders that are just trying to drop a little fat with some morning cardio,etc.

10. graybass

graybass Member

Cardio

I concur with armsport and ronin. I train alot of outa shape clients and getting to our appointments on time is enough to get there heart rates to their THR!!! (Target Heart Rate) Those of us who actually work out have much higher targets. (for sedentary clients I use 60 to 70% of max) Till they get my bill!!!!
    :D That Old Graybass

11. testosterone1

testosterone1 Junior Member

Amen Brother Grizz! I'm a big believer in short hard cardio sessions. I like to go no longer than 15 minutes with some hardcore intervals.
    Before when I had to lean up I would go hard AND long. Now that was when I would see some major loss in muscle tissue.
    I guess the other alternative is to go long and slow. There's good arguments for both but I prefer intervals myself.

-T1

12. Ronin_

Ronin_ Junior Member

Hill sprints are pretty great for interval work. 1 minute hard run up, and jog back down. They also give great hamstrings

13. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Good hamstring? Hmmm, maybe I should find a close hill. I usually run the stairs of the football stadium here(the manly football, not that European football for fairies known as soccer :)) and it tears my quads up. I don't know if I need to train legs at all if I run the stadium frequently.

14. john_phillips

john_phillips Junior Member

Grizz, baby...you talking soccer players = fairies?
    I think Nasser was a fairy in that case. And I know you got the size to tell him that to his face, but I don't know many that do. LOL - just busting balls. Have a great new year!
    JP

15. Ronin_

Ronin_ Junior Member

Was never into soccer, always athletics so wouldn't know :D

Yeah stadium runs are great but definitely try the hills

16. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Hamstrings do a majority of work during sprinting, at least on flat ground. Going uphill, I would imagine that it shifts more of the load to quads.

Long, slow cardio is for fat, out of shape people (much like myself after the holidays). Those charts for "targeted fat burning" are correct, albeit rather useless. Fat is used to a greater % of calories burned when working at lower intensities. Calories burned is much more important than where those calories came from. Intervals are king for fat loss, hands down (in terms of cardio, anyway).

17. graybass

graybass Member

Cardio

Griz, Man you allways crack me up

Graybass

18. Gator

Gator Junior Member

The interval training sounds like a good idea. I will give that a shot. Thanks for the advice guys. Take it easy.

Gator