Cholesterol Primer

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by LW64, May 4, 2012.

LW64

LW64 Member

A good read:

The straight dope on cholesterol – Part I | Peter Attia | The War on Insulin

And, if you think returing cholesterol back to the liver is ONLY done by HDL, you'd be very wrong (LDL does most of that work!) and need to read Part 2.

The straight dope on cholesterol – Part II | Peter Attia | The War on Insulin

"While the HDL particle is a crucial part of the immensely complex RCT pathway, a not-so-well-known fact is that apoB lipoproteins (i.e., LDL’s and their brethren) carry most of the cholesterol back to the liver. In other words, the “bad” lipoprotein, LDL, does more of the cleaning up (i.e., taking cholesterol back to the liver) than the “good” lipoprotein, HDL!

The problem, as we’ll discuss subsequently, is that LDL’s actually do the bad stuff, too – they dump cholesterol into artery walls."

A VERY informative site intended for MDs and registration is free:

Cardiology News, Articles & Treatments, Lipids & Lipidology, Lipidaholics, Diabetes Education-Lecturepad.org

Last edited: May 4, 2012
    Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

zkt

zkt Member

LW, looks like youve done it again! Have only read the first link but this seems to be the most comprehensive read on the subject of lipidology to date.
    All of those intersted in the low carb, Paleo, and cholesterol numbers might as well read it now because my first answer to any of these questions from now on is gonna be:
    read this.

zkt

zkt Member

Looks like lecturepad.org goes a bit deeper than that.
    This is an entire, very well presented, course study of the expanded lipidology, and geared to MDs. The prequisite seems to be PreMed, Med school and a year of residency. But dont let that deter you. You can still see the big picture- the gestalt, without all the chemistry. And for the Dr.s, wannabee Dr.s, researchers, et al, there are CME tests at the end of the lectures. (to give you that feeling of accomplishent). Just failed my first one- but wtf knows about bile sequesterants anyway?
    This is a good place to start and watch some flash video. :)

Basic Lipid & Lipoprotein Biochemistry

jonkobeck

jonkobeck Member

Does this mean that the so called "bad" cholesterol may bein fact good?

zkt

zkt Member

Theyre aint no good guys
    There aint no bad guys
    theres just me and you and
    I go to the trouble of reading it and you havent yet
    :D

keriheat

keriheat Member

Bitchy, bitchy, bitchy. Do you work on Sundays???? :)

zkt

zkt Member

Damn ! That was my best shot at being funny too.
    What are you doing here? Shouldnt you be in church ? [:eek:)]

keriheat

keriheat Member

You are funny this AM...I'm waiting for a cheese omelet and bacon. Church is in 1 hour and a half @ 10:15 Thank you very much! :)

zkt

zkt Member

YUMMY, yummy
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKkWj2WpWM]Aretha Franklin - I Say A Little Prayer - YouTube[/ame]

ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

so read the first two. lecture pad is a different day, or two.
    the straight dope ;) on cholesterol. good read. why the war on insulin and how does it play out regarding lipids and cvd. thats is question if any one can answer it. or link it. minus refined carbs and hfcs please. also why no phytosterols. and where are they most commonly found.

ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

it says they serve no purpose in the human body. does that make them unhealthy. cholesterol regulates itself. it mentions hypolipidemia but not hyperlipidemia.
    in other words this may take some time to learn. i may have to make education a lifestyle or career :eek:. or at least part time. and practice the other part.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    LW64

LW64 Member

Maybe not unhealthy, but unnecessary.

I'm still looking at it all myself and it's going to be a while.

Dr. Attia has similar views to Taubes re insulin and is getting a lot of his info from Lecturepad. Maybe Part III will address some of your questions.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

unnecessary for what. are we trying for the bare minimum. are there not good things in fruits and vegatables.

ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

whats there to think about. thats what the original says. which still doesnt answer my question.
    i like jim better.

keriheat

keriheat Member

Cant shake 'em tho', can you? They just keep hang'n around :D

I think if they hang around long enough like Phytosterols they might become real active in November. :drooling:

blubbard

blubbard Junior Member

blubbard

blubbard Junior Member

Part III of the Cholesterol series is up now on Dr. Attia's website.

ergomaniac

ergomaniac Member

so maybe if i read that a couple more times id really understand.
    this in bold. "in other words, the number and size of the lipoprotein particles is perhaps the earliest sign for insulin resistance." i guess thats my answer. sort of. i like the shirt.

zkt

zkt Member

© 1997–2016 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.