Attention Guest: Please make sure that you are using a unique password to login to MESO. If you have used your MESO password on another website, change it immediately. You should NEVER share the same login credentials on multiple websites.

City of Grit's first go at powerlifting

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by Cityofgrit, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Cityofgrit

Cityofgrit Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I wont be starting this until either next week or the following week, as I am finishing a John Meadows bodybuilding programs last week.
    I am going to give Strongfirsts Reload program which uses a 5×5 linear progression a go.
    My program will be 4 days a week and will include a heavy main lift, a secondary technical or light lift of one of the other main lifts. A specialized lift such as narrow grip bench on bench days (these will be performed at only 50-70% of my 10 rep max for that particular lift) and finally a horizontal pull, vertical pull, or midsection excercise.
    I chose this particular version of this plan to keep some hypertrophy on the table.
    So, it will look like this

Monday: Heavy deadlift, light bench, sumo deads as a specialized, and pendlay rows

Tuesday: Heavy bench, light squat, narrow grip bench as specialized, and hanging leg raises

Wednesday: off

Thursday: Heavy Squat, light military press, front squat as specialized, and pull-ups as a vertical pull

Friday: Heavy Military Press, light deadlift, one-arm military press as specialized, and ab wheel rollout

Any feedback would be awesome! Thank you guys.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    Artifex, Oldschool, DocGreen and 2 others like this.
  2. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

In

Cityofgrit likes this.
  3. Cityofgrit

Good to have you brother!! I follow your log and I am hoping to someday hit the weights you are lifting! Does my plan look sound?

4. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Looks pretty well thought out. What about rep ranges? Just keep it simple at first and add weight week to week?

Cityofgrit likes this.
  5. Following as well!

Cityofgrit likes this.
  6. Cityofgrit

So the program works by determining your 5 rep max, that becomes your week 5 goal for 5×5. You then see how many reps you can get at 80% of your 1 RM and that determines the jumps in weight you make. You then use that to determine weeks 4,3,2,1 backwards from week 5. Week 6 you stick with that jump but you do 3×3, week 7 you use the same jump and do 2×2. Week 8 is max week.
    Light exercises are done at 65% of your 1 RM 5×5 until max week where it drops to 3×3 but remains at 65%
    The specialized exercises go up in reps from week to week.
    For example week 1 is 2×5 at 10 RM, week 2 is 2×6 at 10 RM. It ramps up to 3×7 in week 5 but begins ramping down to week 7. There is no specialized lifts on week 8 or max week.
    The rep scheme is the same for vertical pulls, horizontal pulls, and ab work

Worf and Perrin Aybara like this.
  7. Logan44551

Logan44551 Member

Subbed, curious to see how you like making the switch

Cityofgrit likes this.
  8. Cityofgrit

It's been an interest of mine for a while. Honestly following @Perrin Aybara and @Worf's logs got me super motivated to try it

Worf and Perrin Aybara like this.
  9. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Kinda having trouble envisioning it all from just reading it, but it sounds interesting. I really like the idea of using AMRAPs, been having great results using them this year. I've actually used them to determine weight increases, main thing you have to look out for is if you have a phenomenal day hitting the AMRAP and then your new percentages are too heavy. Or too low if you have a bad day.

80% 1RM on an AMRAP? Generally your 5x5 will be about 81%. Is that right after the 5x5 or on another day?

10. Cityofgrit

It's supposed to be on another day but I am thinking about testing it same day just giving myself adequate rest between sets

11. johntt44

johntt44 Member

Good luck! I always liked those 5×5 programs when I was younger. I got both mass and strength off of them. It's kind of a happy medium.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  12. Kim

Kim Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Sounds great! Excited for you!

Worf and Cityofgrit like this.
  13. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I do my AMRAP after a 3x3 with the same weight. 5x5 would be tough, but might be manageable.

Everything looks pretty good. Simple and that's the best way in my opinion. Comp lift specific main lifts and just a couple accessories and that's all you need to get really strong.

Just watch that light deadlift on Friday, don't do anything so heavy it affects main deadlift on Monday. Not a lot of recovery time there and low back is slow to recover.

BigBaldBeardGuy, Worf and Cityofgrit like this.
  14. Cityofgrit

Perhaps I'll flip bench to Monday and allow a little more rest

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  15. Cityofgrit

16. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Usually only on the heavy days. Anywhere from 5-10 minutes depending on the situation. 5-7 mostly on normal heavy days, as much as 10 if it's a big PR attempt.

Cityofgrit likes this.
  17. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

Most rest for deadlift, a little less on squat, and the least for bench generally.

18. Obviously I'm not Perrin, but I'll chime in on this and say that I do not, personally. Once you start hitting stupid heavy weights, I find it best to take as much time as I feel I need (obviously not 20-30 minutes between sets).

For hypertrophy work, it's different but when your grinding out some heavy ass deadlifts or squats you need to make sure you're good to go before you hit them again.

19. Cityofgrit

I appreciate both your responses! Obviously coming from a bodybuilding background its foreign to me to take such long rests. It gets me antsy and I need to learn to chill lol

Perrin Aybara likes this.
  20. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

I agree. Only reason I really time is to make sure I'm getting long enough. When I get amped up on PR days I just wanna get at it and I won't rest long enough if left to my own judgment.

Worf and Cityofgrit like this.