Coinbase asking for SSN

Discussion in 'Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency' started by RThoads, Nov 10, 2017.

1. RThoads

RThoads Member

I have done many transactions on coinbase.
    some small and some well over $1000 and higher.
    I did upload my DL and some personal but I was NEVER asked for my SSN.

Today I try to make a small purchase and I get a pop-up stating I must give my SSN to buy the coin.
    When did this start??? just a few weeks ago I spent over $1000 and it was fast/smooth without any need for additional information.

What changed? anyone know when and why?

2. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Check with Coinbase support on this to confirm that is a legitimate request and for what reason? Only other things I can think of is a possible site hijack with some server side trojan or that you have malware on your pc.

RThoads likes this.
  3. DrinkFlintWater

DrinkFlintWater Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Idk about the SSN, but my orders keep getting cancelled a minute or two after i placed them...i gotta figure out whats up..

RThoads likes this.
  4. MindlessWork

Any word from Coinbase support?

5. Burrr

Burrr Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

ill try a purchase and report back

6. Burrr

I use bank transfer and just bought $1k with no trouble

7. Skull

Skull Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Well thats kinda odd an scary smh.

8. MindlessWork

Wow 1K that easy?

Then something may not be right on RT's end..so he better check with CB support on that and hope he'll get that resolved. If he's doing it on a mobile device that's one thing as well.

Yes definitely odd...

9. Skull

Skull Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

huh i wonder why their askin him for his ssn then?

10. Burrr

It takes a week for bank transfer coins to show up in the account, but the fee is only like 1.5%

If anything weird happens in the next week I'll post. So far its just like every other purchase

MindlessWork and Skull like this.
  11. DrinkFlintWater

I do instant buys from debit card from the app...money posts within seconds...my bank, not coinbase has blocked all purchases recently...still havent gotten a clear answer as to why..

12. MindlessWork

Maybe your bank blacklisted the processor that CB uses. Have you tried reaching out to your bank regarding that? I've made a few offshore purchases with my debit card and had them declined for that very reason even though I had sufficient funds.

13. Domino23

Domino23 Member

Anyone experiencing super long delays with transactions?

14. Burrr

saw this
    BTC Network Delay
    The BTC network is currently operating at reduced capacity. Inbound and outbound transactions may remain pending longer than expected. Customers should anticipate a significant delay for any BTC transactions.

15. RThoads

RThoads Member

here i just tried again today. and, again I got the red pop-up blocking me from completing the purchase. It tells me to go to coinbase com/ssn. I am not going there, and I am NOT giving any more info -- it always working fine before, they don't need any more info. I am sick on companies and government tracking everything constantly. I am not comfortable with it -- fuck them
    I took a screenshot.
    [​IMG]

Skull and master.on like this.
  16. MindlessWork

Better reach out to support then to find out why they keep asking for your SSN every time.

17. Masters Power

Masters Power Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Coinbase has become a major pain in the ass. Just had a friend get booted off for what they termed was suspected to be an illegal transaction. The transaction was for less than $80.

Time to find a better spot for bitcoin purchases.

Skull and master.on like this.
  18. DrinkFlintWater

I put in my ssn, only to attach a shift card, tho. Did you try a buy from the app?

19. RThoads

RThoads Member

yeah, maybe i do that tomorrow. I am pissed off right now and just going to spend some down time with my family and call it a night.

I agree. I am going to look for another option.

I use a computer. not the app. just the website

20. MindlessWork

Maybe the browser blocking the cookie that identifies your computer? I had to whitelist one credit card site as it kept asking me to verify my identity every time I tried to login to the site on my laptop rather than using an app on my phone.